main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The High Republic: The Fallen Star by Claudia Gray

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Jul 23, 2021.

1. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    In the High Republic era hyperspace routes in the outer rim aren't mapped out as well as they are during the movie eras. Starlight Beacon was meant to serve as a bit of a waystation for those traveling through the outer rim and to be lighthouse so to speak.

AusStig likes this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    But how? What does it actually do?

3. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    It's like a lighthouse. A marker for hyperspace jump to get a line off of. Kinda like the astronomican is 40k.

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    How is it like a lighthouse? That's what I don't get.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    AusStig likes this.
  6. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I would say "what it does" is of far lesser significance than "what it represents" but, in terms of it being a physical "beacon," it apparently broadcasts a signal that ships can home in on and use to travel to and from the Outer Rim safely.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
  8. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-high-republic-the-fallen-star-exclusive-excerpt
    For light. For life. For Loden Greatstorm.

Galvanized by the loss of his Master, Jedi Padawan Bell Zettifar is looking for justice when he and other members of the Jedi Order track the Nihil down to the Nefitifi system. It’s not revenge he craves, but rather the chance to return the Republic to a time of peace without fear of others suffering at the hands of the marauders.

In StarWars.com’s exclusive excerpt from Star Wars: The High Republic: The Fallen Star, the forthcoming Star Wars: The High Republic adult novel by Claudia Gray, Bell, his new Master Indeera Stokes, Master Nib Assek, and her Padawan Burryaga, face off against the fearsome foes. Read the preview below, and pick up your own copy when The Fallen Star, part of wave 3 of books and comics in the initiative, arrives January 4, 2022.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    Foreign32567 likes this.
  9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Their site says that Star Wars merchandise is restricted to US, Canada and Australia.

JediFett10 likes this.
  10. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    I'm going to be very careful these next few weeks to not hear any leaks about this book. Don't really trust some of these social media figures who get this stuff early to not leak any major story points.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  11. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
    Bugger, thought as much. Thanks anyway mate!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jedi Ben and The2ndQuest like this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    SpeedyHen have somehow just put my copy in the post!

13. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Arriving tomorrow according to tracking, yay!

14. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Are you one of the ones that get the books early? It technically isn't released until Jan. 4th.

15. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Well yes and no. I do not get everything early but some as I work in the book industry. Had my fair share of advanced reader copies even. But this one now I got through regular channels like every one else. Amazon germany has them in stock early before release date and is shipping them!

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Lucky you. The Amazon UK site says Jan 4. Book is on my 'next Amazon' order list.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  17. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Cool. Can you wait to start giving reactions to it on here until the 4th though. There will probably be a lot of spoilers in this book regarding character deaths and what not.

18. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

Don't worry, I got plenty to read and even if getting stuff early is nice, my problem is rather finding time to read these days thx to kids and third just born a week ago. As much as I like to rush in, we'll see when I have time to get to it. I am not one of those guys that finished the book the day it arrived (not anymore!).

And if I spoil, its not unmarked and is usually hidden behind spoiler tags. Besides I tend to spoil with the intent to sell the book and highlight how it appeals to all kinds or niches of fandom instead of giving it all away in a full review. Bookseller at heart ;)

19. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Off topic - congrats on the new arrival!

Huncrweo, Golbolco and ColeFardreamer like this.
  20. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    thx a lot!

Sinrebirth , Golbolco and LAJ_FETT like this.
  21. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.thewrap.com/star-wars-the-high-republic-the-fallen-star-excerpt/
    “It is almost time, my lord,” said Thaya Ferr.

Marchion Ro gave his underling the slightest nod as he stared into the depths of the holographic star chart. His preselected targets glowed red among the whiter stars, and he studied each one in turn.

These were ordinary worlds. Large and prosperous enough to be of note at least to neighboring systems, not so large as to have strong planetary defenses or to draw undue attention. He walked through the holographic chart, imagining the suns and planets pushing apart to let him pass.

The worlds he had chosen shared two things in common: First, they all had good communications systems that would allow them to reach officials on Coruscant within minutes.

Second, they were all very, very far from Starlight Beacon.

He smiled his bloodless smile. “Begin.”

Aleen: a planet neither particularly obscure nor noteworthy. Although Aleen had been racked by wars in its distant past, it was now a place where nothing of significance had happened in a very long time—even by its own inhabitants’ reckoning—and nothing of significance was anticipated for perhaps an even longer time to come. The legends of the wars were enough to make every soul on Aleen satisfied with an uneventful life.

Yeksom: one of the longest-standing Republic member worlds on the Outer Rim, one that had suffered terrible groundquakes in recent years. The Republic was helping the planet rebuild, but it was a protracted, painstaking process. Its people remained guarded, uncertain, sad-eyed; everyone had lost someone in the quakes, and grief veiled the world’s gray sky.

Japeal: a planet on the frontier, newly bustling, with no fewer than three small space stations in various stages of construction. Its temperate climate and plentiful water practically invited settlers to find a place they might call their own. Dozens of species set up storefronts and eateries; engineers mapped bridges and roads; families put finishing touches on brand-new, prefab homes.

Tais Brabbo: Anyone on Tais Brabbo who wasn’t up to no good had taken a wrong turn somewhere. Rumor had it the Hutts had considered moving some operations onto Tais Brabbo but decided against it—the place was too corrupt even for them. It was a good place to get lost, and on any given day it housed millions of souls who wanted nothing more than to remain out of sight of any authorities more powerful than the ineffectual local marshals.

On each of the these very different planets, under four different shades of sky, millions of very different individuals were going about tasks as divergent as spinning muunyak wool or taking bounty pucks when they each heard the exact same sound: the thudding hum of spacecraft engines descending.

All those millions of people looked up. They all saw Nihil ships streaking down out of the sky—numerous as raindrops—the beginning of the Storm.

Explosives dropped. Plasma weapons fired. The assault slammed into homes, factories, bridges, cantinas, medcenters, hangars. There was no specific target, because everything was a target. It seemed the Nihil wanted to cause mayhem for mayhem’s sake, which nobody who had heard of them found difficult to believe.

One passenger ship leaving Japeal at that very moment got lucky. It took damage—a devastating hit to its port side—but was able to limp out of orbit and even get into hyperspace. Its crew and surviving passengers thought it was a miracle they were still alive and might even remain so, if they could get to help in time.

The so-called miracle was, in fact, no more than a standing order Marchion Ro had given before the Nihil attack began. Some people needed to escape—because the Nihil needed them to run straight to Starlight Beacon….

MercenaryAce likes this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Unlike Cole, I'm not in the book industry - SpeedyHen is just that good.

Anything spoiler related will be behind tags, but will hold off doing so until nearer day of release.

By that time SW' official PR will have likely spoiled the entire book.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  23. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    "As numerous as raindrops." Given that the Nihil were a pretty small organization at the start of the series and have taken hideous causalities in pretty much every engagement so far, and I wonder where the heck they are getting recruits to replace their loses, not to mention new ships.

Foreign32567 likes this.
  24. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    There's a lot of possible ways - absorption of smaller pirate gangs, releasing and recruiting prisoners, freeing and recruiting slaves of the Hutts and so on. But sadly this possibilities were not addressed before (except Lourna's one-time prison ship take over) and I doubt they wil be addressed in the future.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    My copy has arrived!