main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why Yoda doesn't beat Sidious

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Love SW2012, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Sidious69

Sidious69 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2004
    When did I mention Disney????

This is straight up from the PT and CT.

“Into exile I must go. Failed I have.”
    That’s as clear as it gets. He don’t want any part of Sidious. You can razzle and dazzle all you want in your head canon….the fact remains that Yoda doesn’t want any part of Sidious. Not after the Senate fight nor anytime in the future nor ever.

News flash: He’s already the Emperor when they fought….he has all those protection and Yoda still got in.

That excuse of Palpatine having guards is moot.

Because Yoda and Obi-Wan was expecting for Luke to confront Vader and his Emperor. Hey what happened to his guards???? Magic!! They don’t matter!!! To fit your narrative right??

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
  2. BlueYogurt

BlueYogurt Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2021
    The whole escape scene, after he confronts Palpatine, makes Yoda seem cowardly and pathetic. When he says to Bail Organa; "Hurry, careful timing we will need", as he's crawling through the ductwork in his longjohns, he sounds like he's scared sith-less. For a better version of the scene, search; Yoda's Unfortunate Accident, on YouTube. You WILL laugh.

3. IJjones41

IJjones41 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2021
    I have a copy of the official book on "Revenge of the Sith" that was published back in 2005. The book had stated that only three Jedi members - Yoda, Mace Windu and Anakin Skywalker - were powerful enough to confront Palpatine. Yoda fought Palpatine, gave the Sith Lord a lot of trouble and lost. What's the big deal?:confused:

Watcherwithin and BlueYogurt like this.
  4. cantthinkofone

cantthinkofone Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 6, 2020
    oh sorry, my bad. i saw the word ORDER but didnt see the numbers so it made a connotation to disney movies.
    forget that line, but the rest is the same.

im tired of this argument, waste of time.
    all i know is that it started with my claim (which is true) that yoda flew further due to physics and couldnt reach with his small arms while palpatine is heavier which means repulsion affect him differently and he have longer arms, long enough to catch the platform. you claim yoda has the ability to use the force to ignore his weight during repulsion event, which is ridiculous. physics matters.

oh, and yoda is stronger. just rewatch the video, look at their expressions and body movements, the way palpatine rolled back on the platform, and everything else in that scene. i dont understand how anyone cant see it. when it came to force abilities, yoda stopped everything palpatine had unless it was a complete surprise (like when he first entered the room or when he lost his lightsaber)..
    with that statement, im done.

5. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    It's not a big deal. It's just fun to endlessly critique Star Wars.

Blue Ice Cream likes this.
  6. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    Brave Sir Robin ran away. Bravely ran away, away...

Blue Ice Cream likes this.
  7. Sidious69

May 19, 2004
    Your basing it on their expressions really???

Yoda was looking determined and Sidious looking silly because he knows BOTH of them will explode.

Hey look Tom Brady look worried when he threw that final pass but that Bills lineman looks serious about to tip the ball!!!??? Oh yeah what happened??? Tom Brady threw a TD pass to win the game!!! Oh but the Bills lineman’s expression was deadly serious that means the Bills won that game!!! Hahahaha

And how can you say Yoda was caught off guard in the beginning??? LOL

Sidious even warned him saying NOW YOU WILL EXPERIENCE THE FULL POWER OF THE DARKSIDE. And Yoda was still caught off guard???!!! LOL

Cmon now!! if a pro boxer tells another pro boxer I’m going to hit you NOW with all my might!!! and the boxer still got KNOCKED OUT and then he says well I only got knocked out because he caught me off guard!!! Hahahahahaha

Blue Ice Cream and BlueYogurt like this.
  8. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    C'mon, we all know Yoda won. We should storm the imperial senate and force them to admit it. Stop the steal!

Sidious69 likes this.
  9. cantthinkofone

cantthinkofone Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 6, 2020
    im not going to continue the argument BUT i must retort this this sentence.

EVERYTHING, especially in the prequels(because he wrote and directed them himself), matters. GL directed and chose everything with a very keen eye. he micromanaged everything to make sure the story was told the way he wanted. in the documentary we can see how much details he put in this.
    if you ignore these things, your arguments for any subject are incomplete.

EDIT:
    im not american but even i know tom brady is a god. he cant be compared to no one.

10. Sidious69

May 19, 2004

Yeah and the expressions they both have went from Sidious being gleeful and Yoda STRAINING to then Sidious straining and Yoda calm. That just shows how equal they are because after all that….the end result is they both exploded. Yoda’s serious face at the end is more discouraging because he gave it his all and the result stays the same: Him not defeating Sidious.

He went to Dagobah to either train on how to beat the Dark Side OR whatever. Whichever the reason he stayed in Dagobah …he never left until he died.

For someone who is suppose to be stronger…..he would find a way to even the score. It’s his duty as a Jedi to save the galaxy.

If you believe in Lucas meticulousness then
    There’s a reason why Lucas had Yoda easily deflecting Dooku’s lightning and making Dooku flee to having Yoda getting KNOCKED OUT COLD by Palpatine’s lightning and making Yoda flee this time.

lord_sidious_ likes this.
  11. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    Sure, and that reason is because it's what the story called for at that particular moment.

12. lord_sidious_

lord_sidious_ Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 19, 2019
    What? Ok this is one of the reasons I only treat the movies themselves as canon. Anakin was powerful enough to confront Sidious?? Yet Obi-Wan isn't??

Iirc, that was the scene where I actually turned into a Sidious fangirl. I wasn't one going into it.

For a serious discussion of the Mace/Sidious fight, I think it's better to move to this thread Who really won the Palpatine Mace duel?

13. lord_sidious_

lord_sidious_ Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 19, 2019
    Moving this over from the other thread.
    I think my post from before already answered why Yoda fell while Sidious managed to hang on:
    I also have a static image breakdown of the final blast if that helps:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edit: As for the facial expression thing, yeah basically what Sidious69 said: "Yoda making a serious face doesn’t negate the fact that both of them still exploded." I sort of mentioned this in the old thread:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2023
  14. Sidious69

May 19, 2004
    @Darkslayer

You can’t really judge how the fight was because of someone making a silly face. Palpatine was making that face because he knows it was about to blow. Yoda making a serious face doesn’t negate the fact that both of them still exploded. Even though Yoda was lighter you can’t fault Sidious for that. 4 Jedi Masters out weigh Palpatine by over 100 lbs but he still had to face them. It’s all part of the duel life.

Sidious also knocked Yoda out cold on his first lightning. If he wasn’t so overconfident and waited for Yoda to wake up so he can mock him…he would have easily stabbed the out cold Yoda in the first place.

Both Sidious vs Yoda was the ultimate stalemate. That’s the whole point of the Chosen One…to break that tie.

Having Yoda with a serious face only to be exploded himself is more heartbreaking because he gave it his all and still failed.

Yoda also told Qui-Gonn’s ghost that he’s not powerful enough to defeat Sidious.

lord_sidious_ likes this.
  15. Tia

Tia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2022
    Yoda had short arm, he fell

Sidious had long arms, he managed to pull himself back up.

Had they continued...it would all depend on who got tired first. Since both had lost their sabers at that point

Though, as the clones were on their way with Mas Amedda, Yoda would have to contend with Sidious trying to fry him with electricity/throwing senate pods at him and at least two clones troopers shooting at him with blasters,

hence Yoda would have failed. Yoda realized this and fled.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2023
  16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I like your point about the Chosen One being made to break the stalemate. That's cool, I hadn't considered that before. However, I take issue with two major points you included here:

1) Speculation not supported by the film.

2) He did? I must have missed that scene.

17. Sidious69

May 19, 2004
    1) But Yoda was making the same face 2 frames before also while Sidious was smiling then Yoda became serious while Sidious made that face. So both of them made that face…either Yoda did it first then Sidious later…but end result was still the same …they both exploded. The only difference is Sidious held on while Yoda fell and bashed his body hard on the pod and then the ground.

That duel was the equality poetry.

Sidious knocked Yoda out.
    Yoda knocked Sidious down.

Sidious threw pods at Yoda
    Yoda threw pod at Sidious

Sidious made Yoda grimace.
    Yoda made Sidious grimace.

And on and on

2) From Deleted Scene, full script, graphic novel and other ROTS books. Sure you can say that doesn’t count but GL approved and sold those graphic novels and made money from it without saying nah take that out…so he at least thought of it and believed in it even if it was cut out of the movie.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2023
  18. Because Yoda was not a Palpatine the Prophecy says that only the Descendant of the Emperor can defeat Darth Sidious

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2023
  19. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    What prophecy is that?

20. Tia

Tia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2022
    the one written by the house of mouse

Darkslayer likes this.
  21. The Prophecy that Disney will eventually create so that the Disney ST can make sense with the Narrative of the Prequels

22. Watcherwithin

Nov 9, 2017
    Nothing about the ST plot doesn’t make sense because of the prequels

23. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    Only based on the loose weak rules the ST presents. If you view it through the other movies, it basically undoes Anakin destroying the sith.

24. Watcherwithin

Nov 9, 2017
    The movies never state that the prophecy means once Anakin destroys the Sith that it’s impossible to resurrect them, they don’t even confirm whether the prophecy actual states anything about destroying the Sith or if that’s part of what was misread by the Jedi. Regardless, Anakin restored balance to the Force, Luke explicitly states this in TLJ.

The Force falling out of balance again and being subsequently restored by Rey, are subsequent events not associated with that prophecy or any other we know of

Last edited: Sep 10, 2023
  25. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Exactly. Rey needed to do it because, well, Anakin was long dead at this time. He couldn’t exactly come back. Besides, we even hear his voice saying, ‘Bring balance back, as I have’.

Anakin was the Chosen One of his era. Rey was the Chosen One of her era. It’s the whole ‘When the Darkness rises, Light arrives to meet it’ thing. Every time there’s a Sith or some other big bad that throws the Force out of whack, someone has to come along and fix it. Not the Force’s fault Anakin decided to be a Sith for 24 years before finally doing the right thing.

Could the movie have explained that a whole lot better?* Yes. Does it mean Rey robbed Anakin of his redemption and victory? No.

* And let’s be honest, the franchise isn’t exactly known for good story-telling. They’re either too hand-holding to the point I’m surprised Anakin didn’t point to a door and go, ‘See? That’s a door! We can open it!’ or they don’t explain actual crucial info enough for the readers to understand it.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2023