main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2022 Box Office Blood Booster

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 26, 2021.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The Blood Bath began in 2015...
    The rain of the Bloodshower poured through 2016...
    With the Bloodsplatter staining 2017...
    And washed away by the Blood Ocean in 2018....
    To consume the Blood World in 2019...
    A world that, in 2020, found itself orbited by the dreaded Blood Moon...
    ...but then the Blood Moon got sick and was forced into the Blood Quarantine...
    Then, the battle to save the theater industry began with the Blood Vaccine in 2021...
    And, now, the battle continues with the 2022 Blood Booster!

[​IMG]

Some highlights of major (and some minor) releases:

Notable Releases:
    Jan: The 355, Scream, The King's Daughter, Cyranno, Morbius
    Feb: Moonfall, Marry Me, Jackass Forever, Death on the Nile, Blacklight, Uncharted, The Devil's Light, Studio 666
    Mar: The Batman, Turning Red, Operation Fortune, Downton Abbey, The Lost City, Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Apr: You Won't Be Alone, The Contractor, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Bullet Train, Ambulance, Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore, The Northman, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, Thirteen Lives, Memory
    May: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, League of Super-Pets, Top Gun: Maverick, Bob's Burgers
    Jun: Jurassic World: Dominion, Lightyear, Oh Hell No, The Black Phone, Elvis, Shotgun Wedding
    Jul: Minions: The Rise of Gru, Thor: Love and Thunder, Nope, Under the Boardwalk
    Aug: The Expendables 4, The Man From Toronto, Secret Headquarters, Samaritan
    Sept: Salem's Lot, Dark Harvest, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, Don't Worry Darling, Mission: Impossible 7
    Oct: Black Adam, Halloween Ends
    Nov: Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, She Said, Creed III, The Fabelmans
    Dec: Shazam!: Fury of the Gods, Avatar 2, The Nightingale, I Wanna Dance With Somebody, Babylon

There are quite a few "untitled" placeholder films that are currently TBD and other films that have a "sometime in 2022" release date that I've left off the list for now. If there's anything notable that I've overlooked (big or small) let me know and I can add it. The list isn't meant to be 100% comprehensive, but rather show most of the major releases and some smaller highlights that might have a notable factor that could play into box office trends.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I can't believe there will be two Aquaman movies in my lifetime. In fact I'm half-convinced the world will end before December to prevent this. "Couldn't you just die?" No. Don't be stupid.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
  3. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I can't believe the Top Gun sequel is finally going to see the light of day :eek:

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I can't believe WB is throwing that up against Avatar 2 in the same weekend (and without the HBO Max deal to fall back on). Even if Avatar 2 isn't the 2 billion dollar film the first one was, that's a really huge risk given that A) While many would find it very entertaining, few would call the first Aquaman good by any stretch, B) Avatar 2 will definitely be taking up all of the IMAX and 3D screens, which means Aquaman 2 will have limited-to-none of the 3D showings that the first one capitalized on as a major draw and C) they both roughly target the same audience (with Avatar 2 having a broader target beyond). I feel like they would have been better off pushing that back into March 2023, clear of both Avatar and The Marvels.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

Lord Vivec likes this.
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's a very fun, bad movie (much like its Flash Gordon inspirations). And I would probably rate it the same as those scores :).

7. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Morbius - May be worth a watch ut I'm doubtful I'll hit the cinema for it
    Uncharted - My youngest is a MASSIVE fan so I may be forced to watch Marky Mark grow a moustache
    The Batman - A good chance this will be a cinema visit
    Everything Everywhere All At Once - Trailer indicates a good chance of a cinema viewing
    Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore - Probable family visit but the Rowling views do weigh heavy
    The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent - DVD all day long
    Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - Cinema visit guaranteed with my youngest
    Top Gun: Maverick - Just not happening
    Bob's Burgers - Cinema visit very tempting for one of my favourite TV shows
    Jurassic World: Dominion - Will watch at home
    Thor: Love and Thunder - Eldest likely to force a cinema vvisit here
    Black Adam - Will need to see a little more before a decision is made but this is likely to be a home watch.
    Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, Part 1 - 100% cinema visit
    The Flash - Watch at home
    Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - Strong odds on cinema visit
    Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom - Watch at home
    Avatar 2 - Just not happening, not even at home
    Super Mario Bros. - lol no

8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    "fun, but bad" describes 95% of the films in the genre. "fun" is how they make money. "bad" is why most don't win awards or have any cultural relevance more than a month after release.

i don't get the reason for distinguishing between the two, especially when making a point about a sequel to a film that owed nearly every penny it earned to a gimmick.

9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    But it has Chris Pratt! He's in movies people like! That means you like it!

Darth Guy likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I don't want to derail discussion into Aquaman critique much, but, to sum it up, I feel Aquaman had extraordinarily below-average characterization, story and performance (among other issues), even for the genre. And that's an observation I've seen echoed enough to consider it to be a potential point of concern.

It was pretty people doing cool things but, even after 2+ movies, I still don't know who Arthur is as a character- but Momoa is so charismatic and fun to watch being almost himself that he can carry you through those shortcomings to enjoy the world building and campiness. It's a film that could be fun, but never good as a result.

But, my point with that comment wasn't to make a jab at it (I really do think it's one of the more enjoyable bad movies out there), but that that aspect would put it at a disadvantage against a Cameron film (because, even if one sees Avatar as also being a film that doesn't inspire great enthusiasm, its first film, at the very least, clearly connected with audiences in a fine-maybe-good way that gives it a more solid foundation in that match-up).

It's one of several factors that makes it a questionable decision- but I don't want to suggest it's the primary one, either.

heels1785 likes this.
  11. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003

I intend to be a contrarian

Momoa made that film, his shear presence on screen just carried it.

Aquaman is a lame rather rubbish character

Momoa make Aquaman actually a credible character

He did for Aquaman what RDJ did for Ironman

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I want this quote on the back of the blu-ray (and any future franchise boxsets, should the series continue).

FatBurt likes this.
  13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    In terms of this thread's focus, these are probably all strengths. This is the kind of mixture that has carried an obnoxious number of Fast movies.

NO U

Okay admittedly in some runs he's extremely lame. You could probably make the case that his closest Marvel analog is Thor.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  14. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    They're making a movie about me?

Darth Guy and DarthIntegral like this.
  15. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    You know it's true

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No, the other one. You almost made the cut, though.

17. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    My hunch is WB’s banking on further delays with Avatar 2. Either pandemic related or production related,

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Unlikely- A2 is nearly finished, with a work cut. They're just finishing the FX.

19. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Aquaman also had Amber Heard, whose terrible acting almost singlehandedly ruined The Stand for me.

20. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    It grossed $1.148 billion worldwide, making it the highest-grossing DCEU film, the highest-grossing film based on a DC Comics character, the fifth-highest-grossing film of 2018

I think people thought it was good.

heels1785 likes this.
  21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Man, that list of releases is pretty dire. There are some titles I don't recognize, but I want to see Bob's Burgers and that's it.

How the hell are they making another Downton Abbey movie?

22. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    How they hell wouldn’t they be? Downtown Abbey tucking rocks

23. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    You mean, of course, how the hell are they making only ONE more Downton Abbey movie, right?
    They should be working on a trilogy, at the very least. The nerve!!

24. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I hate you Tina

25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003

Out of these, I'm excited for

-Multiverse of Madness
    -Jurassic World 3 (just because it might be the last time to see these dinosaurs on the big screen)

Undecided if will watch in theaters or wait to rent/stream
    -Thor 4
    -Spiderverse 2
    -The Batman
    -Wakanda Forever

Will eventually rent/watch on streaming (unless it's hailed as super-popular or great cinematic experience)

-Morbius
    -Aquaman 2
    -Fantastic Beasts 3
    -Lightyear

I'm into superheroes, dinosaurs, space, magic, and disney.

So much has changed since I was 6 years old... :p

BigAl6ft6 and PCCViking like this.