main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The High Republic: The Fallen Star by Claudia Gray

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Jul 23, 2021.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

My problem isn't demographics it's just the structure of having to read these stories.

I don't like jumping around all over the place, just give me one storyline to follow.

Heck if it were a 7 book Young Adult series of Star Wars book, i'll gladly take it. Heck. I'd probably love that since the YA stuff is honestly kinda the best Star Wars stuff out there.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2021
    bango31 likes this.
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It is all one storyline, just from different perspectives depending on the medium. As long as you follow the story from subphase to subphase you can really read whichever stories you want.

Korv and Supreme Leader Woke like this.
  3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

honestly it’s the multiple perspective thing that’s my issue.

I mean I get having a cast of characters but honesty this seems like too much for me

4. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Well you do have to enjoy reading to keep up with it which based on what you have said is something you aren't so big on anymore.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  5. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Yeah I just use audio books.

It is VERY much like the Clone Wars multi-media Project.

I do think Star Wars needs a visual element and I think it is a major shame NJO didn't get that until years later.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  6. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I feel like I was able to get behind the Multimedia project a bit more since they had movies to spin-off of, and still i knew the core cast of Anakin-Obi-Wan, Padme and other movie characters.

The books have a bit of a harder time in general since I still am unsure of who the core cast is. Also it's just harder to connect to book characters in general at least in my own head.

7. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    The main characters for the adult novels (at least for phase 1) are Avar Kris's, Elzar Mann, and Stellan Gios (probably could include Bell Zettifar in there as well).

For the YA and young reader books it has mainly been Vernestra Rwoh. For the comic it has been Keeve Trennis (though Avar is pretty much just as important in the comic).

All this may change for phase 2 but for phase 1 those were the main characters.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Then gotta be honest, I have not really connected to anyone in particular. Like I read Light of the Jedi and kinda forgot who everyone was and didn't remember.

9. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    No problem with that. Do you just find it easier to get into reading material when it is connected to something you have seen on-screen?

10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

These days more or less yes.

Honestly last thing I ever connected to that wasn't the movie first was Harry Potter and that was years ago before all the JK stuff went down naturally.

ALTHOUGH...Thrawn is one of my favorite characters in Star Wars and I knew him from the Original Thrawn Trilogy first and formost but the Original TTT is a much easier read and something i can follow better.

11. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Movie characters do make it easier.

I don't dislike any characters really. Don't like many either though.

12. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Ever read the Hunger Games books? The movies followed the books extremely closely and if someone would go back and read the books now after watching the movies they would get a lot of additional depth that the movies didn't really have time to get into. Plus they just released a fourth book recently ( I have it but haven't read it yet).

AusStig likes this.
  13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

No but i'm not one for reading outside of Star Wars these days.

14. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I think I enjoy Marchion Ro more than most of the modern onscreen SW villains so far. That’s my biggest takeaway from the HR characters as of yet.

Foreign32567 likes this.
  15. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

He's the one I remember the most but honestly that's probably because of more people talking about him than anything from the actual story that i read him in.

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I disagree it is that loose, if anything this is a multimedia NJO but with better coordination.

One of NJO's biggest weaknesses for me was its time jumps, as I had a lacking sense of what had happened in the gap. That isn't happening here as the comics are doing that, along with other stories. When I had all the pieces in place for Light of the Jedi to The Rising Storm it made for a very satisfying mosaic.

17. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    IMO, so far Marchion is the true (albeit villainous) HR main protagonist.

JediFett10 and SyndicThrass like this.
  18. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Sounds about right.

Does he do much in this book those who know? I would like to set my expectations going in.

19. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    This book is killing me... oh my...

Seriously, it is! Do not go in spoiled, do not go in unprepared or without having caught up with the previous High Republic works.

As I promised, no spoilers yet. Just some feels... and marketing if it helps anybody to buy and appreciate it. No fakes, serious only!

I said unspoiled... don't you ever listen to me? Sigh!

Ventrix and Jedi Ben like this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Cole, I've read the book, I know exactly what you are describing.

Only now, at the end, do you understand. This is why I didn't blow the lid off of it, while doubtless elsewhere the rest of the internet, assisted by LFL PR. It is so much better when it ambushes you.

ColeFardreamer and AusStig like this.
  21. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Disagree, I love reading but I find the range of perspective too much to the point of just padding out the stories.

22. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    How is Avar one of the three main characters when she was barely in the second book?

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Probable answer is because she was in the comics running parallel to The Rising Storm.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  24. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Sure but the comment was about the main characters in the adult novels.

25. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Yep. And though she wasn't in Rising Storm. Many of the actions the main character took in that book were being fueled by thoughts of her.