main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The One Canon

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Aug 18, 2015.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Book of Boba Fett is now live. This will be fun trying to fit in.

PCCViking likes this.
  2. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    Book of Boba Fett spoilers below:

My initial thoughts are that you cannot reconcile the flashbacks from BOBF's pilot with The Bounty Hunter Wars. The circumstances and paths taken appear to be too divergent.

My first idea was that you could recycle Star Wars (1977) 81 and place it later in the timeline between BHW and BOBF to explain how Fett apparently has two rescue events, but this requires a lot more connective tissue to get from BHW to Fett having amnesia on Tatooine, and I don't think you can place Issue 81 after the events of Battleground: Tatooine and Dark Empire. I also don't think you can reverse it and put BOBF's flashbacks first and make BHW the second rescue event, because 1) BHW is time-sensitive relative to Return of the Jedi, and 2) with 2/3 of the episode devoted to the flashbacks, I suspect that we'll be given the complete story for his rescue shortly, and I doubt there will be space for Boba to leave the Tuskens, go on his usual Post-Endor romps.

My second idea is more complex. I wonder if the BHW's context changes if you take that trilogy, leave it where it is on the timeline, but replace Boba Fett with Jodo Kast. If Jodo Kast were for some reason swallowed by the Sarlacc, maybe prior to Jabba taking Han and Luke there, then he would be in a position to be rescued by Dengar. Kast has plausible deniability if his face is scarred by acid, but BHW's narrative requires that the "Fett character" remembers the flashback chapters in those books.

If I recall correctly, the Sarlacc is weird. It can merge with or talk through its victims. It did establish a telepathic connection between Fett and Susejo; could it transfer memories? If Kast were in the Sarlacc at the same time as Fett, could he absorb some of Fett's memories? That would perhaps work for Kast's quest to impersonate Fett.

My third idea, which is compatible with the second idea if it holds water, is that Fett has not one but two imposters. Jodo Kast takes up the bounty hunting with Dengar until eventually Dengar figures out the ruse and alerts the real Fett (Twin Engines of Destruction), but it doesn't feel right for him to seek revenge against Han Solo in Dark Empire. I think that for Dark Empire, the one-shots following it, and Crimson Empire III (and I think one of the Jedi Knight games), you can insert Ailyn Vel as a stand-in for her father.

Here is a brief attempt at a timeline with the revisions I'm suggesting:
    4ABY, Month 3: Boba Fett gets eaten by the Sarlacc. He briefly has a psychic encounter with Jodo Kast thanks to the Sarlacc, transferring some of his memories. Jodo Kast escapes first, and is rescued by Dengar who believes he has found Fett. They go to Kuat together, then part ways. Fett is taken as a prisoner of the Tuskens. (ROTJ, A Barve Like That, The Bounty Hunter Wars, Book of Boba Fett)
    4ABY, Month 9: The civil war on Tatooine in the wake of Jabba's death occurs. Bib Fortuna claims Firth Olan's body after being put in a B'omarr Walker, inheriting Jabba's empire. Cobb Vanth reemerges to take back Mos Pelgo from the Red Key Raiders. Big Gizz and Spiker fight Dark Troopers in the Jundland Wastes. (Battleground: Tatooine, Aftermath, The Jabba Tape)
    10ABY: Like many bounty hunters and Mandalorians of the era, Ailyn Vel has assumed her father's identity and, for the moment, seeks Han Solo to discover her father's whereabouts, under a ruse of revenge. The attempt to capture Han fails, and Ailyn pursues a series of bounty hunting jobs thereafter, cementing her new identity under her father's name. (Dark Empire, Bounty on Barkooda, The Fat Lady Swings, Murder Most Foul)
    14ABY: Ailyn Vel finds work with the Imperial Hardliners, hunting for caches of old Imperial weaponry and finding long-gone members of Palpatine's elite such as Kir Kanos. (Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Crimson Empire III)
    16ABY: Din Djarin begins poking around on Tatooine, leaving Fennec Shand for dead and piquing Boba Fett's interest, leading him to eventually learn of Cobb Vanth. (The Mandalorian)
    Post-Mandalorian Season 1: Boba Fett enters the employ of Din Djarin shortly before returning to Tatooine to kill Bib Fortuna and take over Jabba's criminal empire. At some point, he also eliminates Jodo Kast. (The Mandalorian, Book of Boba Fett, Twin Engines of Destruction)

3. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    @Golbolco

Oh my... now you made me want life action Big Jizz and Spiker vs. Darktroopers in TBOBF!!!

MercenaryAce, Iron_lord and Golbolco like this.
  4. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    My One Canon theory is that Boba Fett just falls into the sarlacc pit three different times and this takes place after his third escape. It's funnier that way.

5. CosmoHender

Dec 2, 2016
    Out of curiosity, can anyone give me the broad strokes of how Thrawn works in the One Canon?

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Previously we never knew what precisely had seen Thrawn exiled from the Empire back to the Unknowns. In Canon, we now have the Battle of Lothal, which provides a useful stage-left for him to be absent from the casts mind during the Original Trilogy (assumed dead), and he can poke back into the Known Galaxy for his various appearances in a Grand Admiral uniform and yet with varying ranks (see Galaxy of Fear, Empire at War, the X-wing vs TIE Fighter games). He can also be entirely forgotten about for the purposes of the Thrawn Trilogy when they're accounting for Grand Admirals.

In Legends, there was always a running theory that Thrawn had in-fact replaced Formbi, the Aristoca of the Chaf family who caused so much grief in Outbound Flight. In Survivor's Quest, he was essentially a new character, and doubly so in the Dark Nest Trilogy. Indeed, Mara and Luke both posited that Thrawn was back at the end of Survivor's Quest. Of course, the Hand of Thrawn Duology was predicated on the fear that Thrawn had returned, who was in-fact the conman Flim, and then it was revealed Thrawn had set a clone on a timer to return a decade after his death.

On that basis, his death at the Battle of Bilbringi does not end his story.

How he survives is up for discussion but it seems likely to be a clone short-cut, but only because Legends introduced it.

Mandalorian remains tentatively set after Dark Empire, five years thereafter circa 15 ABY... so it is to be seen.

Handily, 15 ABY is empty in Legends.

Indeed most of 16 ABY is, save for the end of the year, which involves the Black Fleet Crisis.

PCCViking likes this.
  7. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    That jives rather well with Fett having serious medical problems in 19 ABY leading him to track down Kardue'sai Malloc on Peppel for the five million credit bounty. The whole crime lord gig must fall through at that point, or more likely not generate enough credits to pay for the vital operations Fett needs.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    Golbolco likes this.
  8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Ooooh, yeah, it does jive!

9. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    A lot of the Canon post-Endor timeline jives really well with being moved to post-Onderon, it’s almost uncanny. If things progress long enough, the big Thrawn event might synchronize with the Hand of Thrawn duology.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  10. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Definitely.

The year after Dark Empire III that the empire imploded is so lightly touched upon that Canon could fill that year so well.

Luke leaving after losing Anakin, Mara, Jacen and Ben just hits harder for me.

Han leaving because he doesn’t want to kill another son.

The GA being a UN type government sits better with me than it just becoming the NR again, which always somewhat annoyed.

Etc etc etc.

11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Yeah it's kinda sad how Dark Empire is this REALLY BIG EVENT...And yet the consequences of it seem like a blip on the map.

12. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    I really like how Boba first becomes Major of Tatooine... before moving outwards trying to reunite Jabbas Empire. Of course that fails due to Tasu Leech and others organisations having carved it up somewhat already. So Major of Sernpidal he can apply as with his Major of Tatooine credentials... well and his Mandalore stint is later anyway after loosing Sernpidal.

13. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Some interesting OneCanon coincidences thx to its DarkEmpire fixation and moving the timeline by 10 years for most disney sources:

That means Rey is born not during DE but close to the Second Imperium's Holo-Emperor reign. While her Dad is most likely born during DE with accellerated aging! Strandcasting thus is likely to having had access to Luke's DNA with or without the TESB cut off hand recovered (from already cloned and killed Luuke in the Thrawn trilogy).

Also after Cronal is dead, Snoke may be created as another strandcast based on him and Palpatine both around DE, thus reviving Cronal for Legends and under the Snoke guise for canon. At this point Cronal is Schrödingers Being anyway, dead or alive depending on pov. But by merging them post DE we have Snoke active with the Ismarens and Nyax later on.

What if Rey's mom is a clone too? Could she be a Mara Jade clone? Like Lumiya etc.? One of Thrawns Unknown Regions clones? Two clone runaways falling in love? Mara was captured by Cronal/Snoke/Pestage during Dark Empire after all until Kyle Katarn and team freed her.

And Daalas absence from the galactic scene and involvement with the Second Imperium pre-NJO allows for her to have been called into the UR to Snoke aka Cronal. The First Order may have set her up as one of their fronts.

PS: the Crimson Empire took their name after Crimson Dawn as most of it was filled with former Crimson Dawn allies in the Empire and their values regarding women, aliens etc. came straight from there and Maul & Thrawn's plans for a reformed better Empire. Thrawn may never have served Maul... But Qi'ra he got along with well I bet!!!

Gesendet von meinem FP3 mit Tapatalk

Erkan12 likes this.
  14. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    lets just wait until shadows of the sith for anything bout Rey's parents

Sinrebirth likes this.
  15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    This is why I'm glad I'm lazy and sticking with the Two Canons approach. :p

Nom von Anor and Noash_Retrac like this.
  16. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Legends did that a lot somewhat frustratingly.

17. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

more like Kevin J Anderson making it recognize Dark Empire while it kicked and screamed

18. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    Speaking of Dark Empire, I'm working on a before-and-after-Yavin timeline right now and I can't help but pick up on the similarities between Salla Zend and Sana Starros. Can they be consolidated into one character?

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  19. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    naw keep them separate

Sinrebirth likes this.
  20. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I’d say keep them separate because Starros has a lot of lore to be added and is likely gonna be around for a while yet. If she takes the name as a pseudonym later I might even raise an eyebrow as we don’t need it…

… anyone else suspect Shadows of the Sith is going to be a pain to reconcile?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    QuinlanSolo likes this.
  21. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Probably.

Honestly what is gonna be the hardest to reconcile once we get more of it.

Like i can see the Old Republic era being easier than say Post Endor once we get to a certain point.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  22. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    I think it'll be fine, though it may require a new arithmetic rule. In the same way that everything in Canon!4ABY slides forward to sync with Legends!11ABY, then maybe another rule should slide all Canon works past The Unifying Force.

Stuff like Luke's Jedi and the Solokids won't have any problems that haven't been handled already, I don't think. The only detail that really concerns me is what happens to Lando in his exile on Pasaana. Best solution I can think up off the cuff is to start dividing Canon Lando and Legends Lando into two characters... Lando III and Lando IV? That makes Chance Lando V... a whole lot of Landos. Maybe that won't work.

Since we're on the topic of the timeline, I'd like to follow up my post a few pages ago on my detailed, chapter-by-chapter Prequel timeline. I now have a mostly-complete Dark Times era, a WIP Original Trilogy era including everything up to Dark Empire (only ESB and its tie-ins are unfinished), and a finished New Republic era including everything up to The Unifying Force. I also have an "Infinities" tab including works that I have so far been unable to reconcile, and video game missions that are straight adaptations from films. The link can be accessed here! For the most part, I have attempted to be faithful to the many retcons and ideas suggested in this thread, including the ingenious sliding of Canon!4ABY forward by seven years (save for Free Fall). I am especially proud of the merge of Alphabet Squadron, JAT, Aftermath, and I, Jedi. I think the Crimson Empire trilogy is the only thing that doesn't jive yet.

I've started to add Legends video games and short stories, along with Tales or ambiguously-canon works. Not everything from these categories is on here, but it's a start.

For the Dark Times, I went with a modified version of Joe Bongiorno's concept for merging Solo with the AC Crispin trilogy. For the Rebellion era, starting around 6 Months ABY I began alternating storylines from Canon and Legends with varying success. There's no Canon stories from 4-10ABY, so that was pretty straightforward. I just need to review GrS dates from X-Wing. For the New Republic, I have yet to do anything with Boba Fett stories.

Happy new year! I think this is a good way for all of us One Canon ways to finish out the year. And may 2022 be full of stories fruitful for welding the canons together! May the Force be with you all.

ColeFardreamer and Sinrebirth like this.
  23. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Ooooooh!

Happy New Year, One Canon Believers!

Dark Greetings to you all!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    Golbolco likes this.
  24. CosmoHender

Dec 2, 2016
    @Golbolco Um, why is Burning Seas placed in 16 BBY in your timeline? That storyline takes place in 18 BBY. Yes, when the issue was first released it said three years was passed. But this was later fixed.

25. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    I think at the time I was just going by the date given in the front of the comics. I did the same for Crimson Empire III as well, and a few other stories. I do this because I intentionally ignore the given reading companions and chronologies since they’re not immediately helpful in combining two continuities.

If I’m remembering right I think that arc in Darth Vader contradicted the Ahsoka novel with a dead character appearing, so I’m fine with pushing it to 18BBY before Ahsoka.