main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Got a question? Ask it here

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Kabers, Nov 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    You mean the butterfly kick?
    [​IMG]

BlackRanger likes this.
  2. chained_vulptex

chained_vulptex Jedi Padawan star 1

May 12, 2020
    Yeees, thank you!!

BlackRanger and TCF-1138 like this.
  3. Darthvader1975

Darthvader1975 Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2020
    where can i find the Star wars toy thread?

4. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Collecting Forum

5. Darthvader1975

Darthvader1975 Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2020
    Thank you

Bazinga'd likes this.
  6. ScorpioGirl

ScorpioGirl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    So, this question is a bit complicated, so I'll try to make it easy to understand. I know Leia slapped Poe because he disobeyed a direct order, and then later in the movie she stunned him because he started a mutiny. My question is why did Leia CHOOSE TO REACT that way? Why did she resort to violence instead of just talking to him?

7. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    IMHO, Leia had to demonstrate her sense of authority and lack of favoritism by taking action consumate with Poe's being insubordinate. Leia would have been justified in killing Poe for his mutiny. A leader must maintain good order and discipline among his/her troops. Leia acted appropriately.

DARTH_BELO and ScorpioGirl like this.
  8. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    This keeps me up at night.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  9. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    ^ Who says you cant? I think that when you are facing another force user, you are focused on the dual rather that concentrating on the switch, or the switch is somehow shielded.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
    Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  10. CloneBlooper

CloneBlooper Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 20, 2002
    Why are X-wings called X-wings? Think about it, it makes no sense.

11. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    In fact X-wing makes more sense than all the other "wings", such as A, B or Y. An X-Wing seen from the front or back does look like an "X" shape. But of course there is no Latin alphabet in SW, so no letter X. Only Lucas didn't know yet in the OT that they use a different writing system. He retconned that in the SEs. So it's true, looking back those letters indeed don't make much sense.

12. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Precisely. In SW 1977 and the 1997 SE, before the 2004 DVD version, the Death Star's tractor beam says "Tractor Beam" in big Latin-alphabet letters. :D

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  13. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    How can there be no Latin alphabet in Star Wars? What about all those droid names?

14. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Exactly! That's what happens when you try to retcon too much. When making ANH Lucas had absolutely no clue that there would be a different writing system in the SW galaxy, so he used the Latin alphabet. To be honest, he should have simply stuck to that, instead of introducing a new form of writing way into the saga. Why overcomplicate things? SW would have worked very well without it. Lucas is a genius in many ways, but he is not Tolkien, who had thought out entire cultures and given them their own languages and scripts. The detail in the appendix of ROTK is simply amazing. But SW is simpler, and nobody really expected a linguistic revelation.
    Not sure about Klingon. Isn't that now recognized as an official language? Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't know much about ST. But didn't the Klingons use the Latin alphabet originally as well? Or did they have no writing at all?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Saying that the latin alphabet exists in-universe is like saying english exists as a language in-universe. It doesn't. Aurebesh replaced our world's latin characters precisely to give it a more otherworldly quality to the fictional universe. Turning this into a problem or pretending that it's overcomplicated is simply ridiculous.

Likewise, there's no english language in Tolkien's legendarium. There's Westron.

Subtext Mining and Count Yubnub like this.
  16. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    There is indeed a problem if Aurebesh "replaced our world's latin characters". Because then there would be no reason to name starfighters after Latin letters, since the names and shapes of Aurebesh letters in question are different. On the other hand, if Latin alphabet is part of SW (as it was before the 2004 Special Editions), even if just as an archaic font or writing variant, it'd make more sense.

Sith Lord 2015 and Iron_lord like this.
  17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
    Sith Lord 2015 and BlackRanger like this.
  18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's assuming that the ships are named after the shape of the latin letters, which isn't necessarily the case (specially in-universe).

There is no problem whatsoever. A-wings and B-wings were not named after the shape of the latin letters, yet their existence and nomenclature was never problematic (unless one goes out of its way to make it so).

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    Subtext Mining likes this.
  19. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    Then what are they named after? The Latin letters seem the most obvious candidate, even if the connection is tenuous in some cases. But like I said, it's only a problem if you want to erase the old-school pre-SE letters from SW, though, as @Iron_lord pointed out, they still exist as "High Galactic". I could see them being used the way that Greek alphabet letters are sometimes in English, for instance.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
  20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Nothing. Two new rebel fighters were designed for ROTJ and were given the generic names "A Fighter" and "B Fighter", which were then turned into "A-wing" and "B-wing" respectively, to follow the existing rebel fighters nomenclature.

BlackRanger likes this.
  21. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    The A-Wing does at least have the benefit of looking a bit like a capital A. The B-Wing is much harder to justify.

22. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I would also add that Leia in some ways kind of saw Poe as like a son. So she disciplines him like a son smarting off to his strong-willed mom. At least for the slap. As far as the stunning, perhaps she is partial to that weapon...after all she's used it before :p. Or at the least that could be the standard weapon to settle rioting or actions that are getting dangerous/out of control.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  23. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    The B-Wing should be called a lower case T-Wing.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    "Sir! We're under attack by lower case T-Wings!"

25. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    It has a certain ring to it, doesnt it?