main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Olympics which are better winter or summer?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Jan 8, 2022.

?

Winter or summer Olympics which are better

1. Winter

21 vote(s)
    51.2%
  2. Summer

20 vote(s)
    48.8%
  1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I have always been curious on this

2. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Summer. You may say winter, but you would be mistaken.

Lowbacca_1977 and Runjedirun like this.
  3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I said winter I have to live up to the stereotypical Canadian.

Pensivia likes this.
  4. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Oh, yes, I forgot—the Canadian exemption. You are allowed to say winter. As are Norwegians. And Swedes. And Finns. And Russians.

And Icelanders.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
    Sauntaero likes this.
  5. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    The Summer Olympics are better but ironically I watch more of the Winter Games since it's on at the perfect time of year given February outside of the Super Bowl, is a wasteland in terms of sports to say nothing about it being my least favorite month of the year. Ironically I find July to be similar but being it's summer we are home a lot less means less time watching the Summer Games though again I like those better.

6. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Summer sports in the main are running, cycling, swimming and throwing things. These are sports that people have to be bloody good at but one which pretty much anyone can do.

Winter sports all need an elevated skill level as you're on ski's, skates, a tea tray (skeleton) etc... and not only do you have to be fast, astoundingly brave or have incredible endurance you also have to have an amazing level of skill using the equipment before you even become fast etc...

I prefer winter sports and I think there's just more skill involved in the main events

Straudenbecker and Pensivia like this.
  7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I think FatBurt made a great argument against winter sports. Winter sports is about exotic, niche equipment invented to help humans handle snow and ice, it's not about human athletic performance. It's no coincidence that many of the activities are powered not by the human body, but by gravity.

8. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Winter.

It’s amazing seeing all the white epic ness of the season which is so alien to us on the Gulf Coast.

Pensivia likes this.
  9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Neither.

VexedAtVohai and TCF-1138 like this.
  10. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Summer Olympic events tend to be more varied and dynamic...which leads to much more participation, which makes the showcase grander and the event more global in feel.

But winter events have a thrill that most summer events lack.

Luge/Skeleton/Bobsled, Dowhill/Slalom/Super G, the insane stunt disciplines in snowboarding/skiing...there is a signature flash to the winter events that the summer events rarely reach.

So while I appreciate the scope and scale of the summer games more, the thrill of the winter games makes it much more appealing to me to watch.

Straudenbecker and Pensivia like this.
  11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I’m legally obligated to say Winter or they’ll revoke my residency permit.

mnjedi, Coruscant and DarthTunick like this.
  12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Summer is the one that has fencing, right? I like to watch that once every eight years or so, so that.
    A pox on anyone who likes skiing.

Straudenbecker and Bor Mullet like this.
  13. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Each have their merits & faults, so they’re both (as concepts) are fine. They should go back go the old system of having each in the same year; every 2-years having an Olympics dilutes it some.

Sarge likes this.
  14. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

It's the niche exotic equipment that makes it appeal to me and I personally want to see the skill and be amazed by people doing slalom, bobsleigh, snowboarding etc... not running 4000m round an oval track.

I love the cycling in the olympics, I watch the training and local heats and the Manchester velodrome whenever I can because there is a skill in going round the track and knowing when to put the power down. Running round a track or swimming end to end is just dull.

The summer olympics are athletic ability (in the main) whereas the winter olympics meshes that athletic ability with technical skill with equipment

Arwen Sith likes this.
  15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I'll always edge towards summer because there's more events that I like offered during it, but I like the Winter Games too, especially when it comes to the art of figure skating.

Pensivia and Sarge like this.
  16. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    Summer is better cause there are more event which leads to more participating Countries. I favor the Winter for Ice Hockey and Figure skating. While for Summer I watch Fencing, Swimming, and Rowing. I'll watch the other events but those are the ones I watch the most when they are on.

17. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Very tough decision since I love them both.

Summer pros:

--more events overall
    --more countries participating

Winter pros:

--this is a personalized reason, but as a near life-long Floridian, I enjoy the "exotic" quality of winter sports generally

but just two particularly memorable examples of that what puts Winter over the top for me:

[​IMG]
    Torvill & Dean, Ravel, Bolero, Sarajevo 1984

Mishkutenok and Dmitriev, Rachmaninoff, Piano Concerto No. 2, Lillehammer 1994

moments on the ice like these--a magical blend of art and athleticism that will always be tops with me[face_love]

Kato Sai and Sarge like this.
  18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Autumn.
    That's why the only acceptable winter sports are figure skating and curling.

VexedAtVohai and Darth_Duck like this.
  19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I love gymnastics and figure skating equally.

But then I like swimming and track more than hockey and speed skating, so I went summer.

But really I live for both

Pensivia likes this.
  20. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I prefer summer olympics because they have boxing, weightlifting and swimming events. The only winter sport I really watch is curling.

21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Figure skating and gymnastics aren't even sports to me. They're more like arts mixed with beauty pageants. The judging is subjective and influenced by aesthetics and beauty, sometimes over power and athleticism, and has a long history of severe corruption.

I can't abide any sport that rewards participants for having pretty faces and penalizes them for having comparatively unattractive faces.

Rew, LAJ_FETT , Arwen Sith and 2 others like this.
  22. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Speed Skating is great.

Kato Sai, Pensivia and CT-867-5309 like this.
  23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    So... the Olympics? :p

24. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Both are just you watching tv.
    I don't see the difference.

25. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Summer is more relatable with the events but I love skiing so much that I have to go with Winter

Kato Sai and SateleNovelist11 like this.