main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Dave Wolverton has passed away

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Jan 13, 2022.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Dave Wolverton, AKA Dave Farland, author of The Courtship of Princess Leia, is in critical condition after suffering a terrible fall. Here's the latest from his son-

2. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Apparently earlier reports said he'd died, so there's been some confusion among Star Wars-related accounts sharing the news. Glad to hear it's not quite as bad as that.

3. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    I hope he gets better soon

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The day after CoPL was referenced in a live-action SW TV show, too. :(

TCF-1138 and Daneira like this.
  5. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    There are public announcements and a group for close family and friends. I know a few people in the second and am waiting for the official announcement, but have heard that the news is bad from two people there. I’ve been involved in BYU’s scifi/fantasy symposium for years and he’s been a great fixture for years. It’s awful and the symposium is happening in a month, so the impending loss is hitting hard.

6. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    Thats never a good thing to hear about anyone.

My thoughts are with him.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Update: he passed away 6 hours ago.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Sad news

lordpixie likes this.
  9. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    So sorry to hear that.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    :(

CoPL wasn't the best SW novel IMO, quite a few silly moments, but he did give us Hapans, witches of Dathomir riding rancors, and Han's unforgettable advice, "I'd ask her to ride my rancor."

11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I can't find anything official on this.. Do you have a link to an obit or news article on his death?

12. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Strangely enough, I'm seeing virtually nothing on any major news outlets. But his son did confirm the news on his dad's Facebook page.

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, I was going to send the news to the TFN Main news email address but couldn't really find any proof.

14. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    And the awfdorable song about Solo! What a Man! Solo!

Iron_lord and Sarge like this.
  15. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    The information has been confirmed by his family, but there aren’t articles out yet. He was supposed to teach at a conference tomorrow and the family reached out to one of the organizers.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  16. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Very sad. My heart goes out to his friends and family. May he rest in peace.

Dave was a great author, having penned both the famous Courtship of Princess Leia as well as the fist ever Jedi Apprentice book, the Rising Force.

While he may have left this earth, his spirit lives on in the books he wrote and in the hearts of all his fans.

QuinlanSolo, DarthIshtar and Jedi Ben like this.
  17. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Just as I joined an rpg as a Witch of Dathomir.
    Well I´ll continue this path in his honor. Rest in Peace Dave.

18. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Well wishes to his family.

COPL was an important work in setting up major EU elements, without which the EU would be a very different creature.

Nom von Anor, Iron_lord and Ghost like this.
  19. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    COPL existed in a very common Bantam-era niche where it wasn’t good, exactly, it fit in awkwardly, but it was interesting, full of ideas, and relatively fun, and what it introduced became intriguing staples of the larger universe. And his Jedi Apprentice book was quite good and set the template for a series that I think has been persistently underrated. It’s not a bad legacy on the Star Wars side. A sad way to go.

20. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Condolences. Rest in Peace.

I really like COPL (aside from the brainwashing gun). It was a good fun ride.

Oh and the first jedi apprentice book is really good. It gives a great view of the jedi and why people don't like them (the jedi only help the weak leaving those who can defend themselves to defend themselves).

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I only saw a screenshot of the facebook post from his son with the news of his passing, but here's a GoFundMe page that's more accessible that also shares the sad news.

RIP, he certainly had one hell of an imagination, and it's great the lasting impact he's had on two continuities.

QuinlanSolo, Iron_lord and Sarge like this.
  22. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    Rip My Friend

23. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    He was a very influential instructor at my alma mater as well.

24. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    Very sad. I always enjoyed Courtship of Princess Leia. I once corresponded with him over email about some of the ideas and processes that went into the novel. My condolences to the family.

25. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    RIP, sir.

Courtship is still my favorite single star wars book ever.

It is where I always tell anyone wanting to dab a toe into the EU (Legends) to begin.

I may have to read it again this weekend in his honor.

Thank you, Dave.