main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC WORDLE Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by TiniTinyTony , Jan 17, 2022.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Have you heard about this? Why is it all over social media? Well, that I can't answer. I can tell you it's a word game that is the current obsession for no apparent reason and I'm definitely addicted like everyone else.

How do you play?
    First, go to this link: https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/

Rules:
    You have 6 tries to guess the WORDLE.
    Each guess must be a valid 5 letter word. Hit the enter button to submit.
    After each guess, the color of the tiles will change to show how close your guess was to the word.

IMO, it's very similar to the game "Lingo" that used to air on the Game Show Network. Obviously Lingo didn't invent the game, but you got the starting letter on the show. With Wordle, you don't get any starting hints.

While it's fun to play and I'm addicted, the downside is there is only 1 word a day so you need to remember to come back the next day. Hopefully they're figure out how one can play past words as you currently cannot. At the time of this post, it appears there has been 212 games as you can share your results without spoiling with the share button.

Have fun playing and don't spoil today's word for anyone! If you need help, or want a tip, please ask in this thread and make sure to use spoiler quotes.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The dictionary allows repeated letters and is a bit inconsistent about proper nouns (Shiva was a valid guess for me today). This should annoy me enough to stop playing, but it hasn't, because human brains are garbage.

3. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I'm guessing it read your word as shiva -- a period of seven days' formal mourning for the dead, beginning immediately after the funeral, and not the proper noun.

4. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Tried it and the 3rd word was already correct.

Fifi Kenobi and TiniTinyTony like this.
  5. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm not sure I'm thrilled about it allowing inconsistently anglicized Hebrew loanwords in that case. :p

Edit: Though probably not as not-thrilled as I saw a bunch of British folks get when the word was "Color."

FatBurt, dp4m and TiniTinyTony like this.
  6. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    Wordle 212 3/6

⬜⬜⬜

Interesting, it doesn't copy in color! 3 tries

7. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Yeah, I like this quite a bit. A simple little headscratcher that's a good way to start the day. The real question is do you have a set opening word or do you try and have something different every day?

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I usually start with "POINT", but today's word actually gave me an idea for an opener I might like better.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  9. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    I use FARCE or FORCE

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  10. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Yeah it copies with colors, but doesn't post with colors here and I'm not sure why.

I've tried a different opening word each day.

11. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I start with either "audio" or "adieu" to get in as many vowels as I can. :p

Mar17swgirl, jcgoble3, tom and 3 others like this.
  12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, that was fun. I was able to get it on the fifth try once I understood the rules.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  13. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Started playing this last week and got the wife hooked on it too. Haven't used the same word every day as strategy on the off chance I can get it on the first try.

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    See Also: Shiva the Destroyer of Rules

TiniTinyTony and Bor Mullet like this.
  15. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Is it devised in such a way that logical play will always succeed ?

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Probably not. The game is essentially Mastermind but with the added advantage of knowing precisely which positions are fixed/out of order but the disadvantage of having more "colors" and only certain valid "coloring sequences" being permitted (if you think of letters as colors). Limiting you to six moves places you below some of the known thresholds for Mastermind, which suggests perfect play may not be possible. See, e.g., this beginner-friendly breakdown of computational problems regarding Mastermind.

WORDLE seems popular enough there will probably be some CS articles on it. This is the kind of **** some folks love to research.

17. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    @Ramza but you have the very strong constraint that only existing words are accepted

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Right, but the dictionary seems to just be an American English dictionary, which could mean there are something like 150k valid strings.

Edit: Ah, but this is interesting, apparently there actually aren't because of the specific subset of words the game uses. Do not click if you hate spoilers. This can limit the scope of possible searches, though some of the calculations in this stack suggest that there may still be "seven guesses required" words with a fixed approach.

Edit 2: This has led me down the rabbit hole to Absurdle, which is now my favorite thing on the Internet because it reminds me of how I used to cheat at Battleship.

TiniTinyTony and 3sm1r like this.
  19. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Drat! Today I would’ve gotten my first 3-out-of-6 but I guessed one letter off…

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  20. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I’m 10-for-10 since I started playing. Only once have I gotten it on the third guess. Most of mine have come on the fourth, but today and yesterday were both guessed on the sixth try.

TiniTinyTony and Coruscant like this.
  21. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    [​IMG]

I tried adieu and it said "not in word list". So against my better judgment, I started with audio. I recommend not to, at least today.

Puzzle 213 5/6

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
  22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Today was tricky, although on day one of usage I'm liking "SHINE" as my initial test word. It has a lot of common letters, so if you don't get a hit, you know something is squirrely, which it certainly was.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  23. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I've been trying to mix it up, but I think I need to go back to my initial starting word of PARTY.

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I've generally found success with trying first words with two or more vowels in it.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Credit to BF2k1, “AUDIO” is a terrific Absurdle guess because it’s such a hard hit across the possible vowels, severely limiting the routine’s escape routes. I managed to get one in six using that as my opener.

Edit: ROUTE is probably also a good one for similar reasons.

TiniTinyTony likes this.