main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Qui-Gon Jinn - Character Discussion

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Seeker Of The Whills, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A thread to discuss everything to do with this most unorthodox of Jedi. The only Jedi to speak of the Living Force, the will of the Force, and the midi-chlorians as symbionts.

2. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    Qui-Gon is not the only Jedi who understands the living force, midi-chlorians, and the will of the Force. These are all fundamental parts of the Jedi religion. Qui-Gon learned that stuff from Yoda. There’s a quote at the beginning of The Phantom Menace that I think is oft misinterpreted, when Qui-Gon says that Obi-Wan shouldn’t look at the future at the expense of the moment, some people take it as a repudiation of Yoda and an indication that Yoda doesn’t focus on the living force, when really Yoda’s teachings in the previous movies was the same stuff. It’s only a repudiation of Obi-Wan’s ones sidedly using a quote from Yoda. The living force isn’t an ideology that only a few Jedi follow, its a physical part of the Force.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  3. IJjones41

IJjones41 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2021
    It this was true, why did Yoda had to spend those 22 years between ROTS and TESB learning or re-learning about the Living Force from Qui-Gon's Force ghost?

4. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    what Yoda was learning was how to retain his consciousness after death. Qui-Gon was taught the technique because of his own wisdom. But that doesn’t mean Yoda didn’t know about the living force.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  5. IJjones41

Nov 13, 2021
    I think Yoda had forgotten what he had earlier learned about the Living Force. And wasn't learning about the Living Force essential to learning how to retain his consciousness after death?

6. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    When was this said?

7. cantthinkofone

cantthinkofone Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 6, 2020
    his head-canon.

no, there is no mention of yoda not teaching about the living force. you are assuming the only person who knows of the living force is obi-wan kenobi ? thats ridiculous.

but honestly, i have no idea what he is teaching. i know its just not the jedi code, the rest kinda dont make sense to me.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    FightoftheForgotten likes this.
  8. cantthinkofone

cantthinkofone Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 6, 2020
    wrong post dont know how to delete

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  9. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    The franchise is full of characters with unique moral codes, those that will disobey authority when they believe it's the right thing to do and Qui-Gon is no different.

Mostly Handless and sithboy like this.
  10. sithboy

sithboy Jedi Grand Master

Dec 15, 2000
    I always liked Qui-Gon as a Jedi and his way of thinking. I've wondered how he would've handled or reacted if his life would've reached Order-66 ...hmmmm.

eko32eko7 and Django Fett like this.
  11. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    If Yoda was right and he sensed Qui-Gon's defiance in Obi-Wan could he sense other characteristics? If so then I think we can assume it would've be similar to how Obi-Wan did, I think Qui-Gon may have sensed more quickly what was happening.

sithboy likes this.
  12. IJjones41

Nov 13, 2021
    Is it possible that many were disturbed by Qui-Gon, because he believed in his own approach to the Force (to a certain degree) and was not as dogmatic as the other Jedi? I've noticed that society has a tendency to preach about individuality (at least the healthy kind) but get upset when numerous people actually practice it. Some say that if Qui-Gon had lived, Anakin would have still become a Sith Lord. Perhaps. But I find it odd that the duel that Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan fought against Darth Maul was labeled "Duel of Fate". Why did Lucas give the duel that particular title?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
    whostheBossk likes this.
  13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Because it sounded cool.

14. IJjones41

Nov 13, 2021
    Not another reason? I think there was.

15. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    "Although Williams conducted "Duel of the Fates" to appear as a concert suite in the end credits (rather than the film), Williams did record similar cues using the ostinato motif, and in one instance, a 'cut down' version, labelled the "Great Duel". John Williams stated the chorus was introduced to give a religious, temple-like feel to the epic lightsaber duel.[3] Williams compared the setting of the battle to a pagan altar, and that the duel itself "seems like a dance or a ballet, a religious ceremony of some kind, probably ending in the death of one of the combatants."

Karlin, F. & Wright, R. (2004). On the Track: A Guide to Contemporary Film Scoring (2nd. ed.). New York: Routledge. 165-168.

According to this... the version used in the film is titled the GREAT DUEL. So technically the name of the song playing while Maul, Jinn, and Kenobi fight wasn't ever called DUEL OF THE FATES in the first place.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
  16. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Weeeeell actually The Great Duel was composed to only cover the second half of the Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon duel with Maul (the bit where they're jumping around in the big plasma core room, before the energy gates go up). The earlier parts of the fight are covered with edits of the Duel of the Fates concert piece, while later parts use different cues. The Duel of the Fates motif is also weaved into many of the cues in the final battle.

Here's The Great Duel itself, only the end bit while Qui-Gon meditates was on any OST release:

Sidenote: There's a bts clip from the TPM dvd that shows a bit of the recording process, and it reveals that Williams mistyped the cue title as 'The Great Dual'. Read your own significance into that little typo :p

17. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    My point was just that the title of the song didn't have any bearing on the lightsaber fight because it wasn't decided to even use it during the fight until AFTER it had been named.

The title given for the music that was always intended to be used in the lightsaber fight was only named GREAT DUEL.

That's what happens when you pay your assistant less than a living wage.

18. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    According to the Clone Wars series Qui-gon had began to unravel the mysteries of the Force when it comes to retaining identity in the afterlife. His training was incomplete so he was much more limited where and how he could appear as a spirit compared to Yoda or Obi-Wan.

The real story or main event of the 9 film Star Wars saga on the overall mythology of Star Wars might be that it documents the Jedi first becoming and then mastering Force Spirits. I think that was the only way to actual eliminate the Sith.

19. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    If TROS ended with Anakin's force spirit bringing an end to Palpatine, I'd say you have a point. But, as it turns out, the entire 9 part saga was just about teaching Jedi to use two lightsabers at once to block force lightning.

20. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I feel like much more is happening at the end of The Rise of Skywalker than is directly depicted on screen. For now it’s open to interpretation, but my hunch is future tv series and movies will fill in the gap.

21. IJjones41

Nov 13, 2021
    I don't think this explains why Lucas had decided to label the fight, "Duel of Fate" in the end. As for "The Rise of Skywalker" . . . I guess I'm too disgusted with the movie to discuss it any further.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  22. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    Did Lucas name it that? Or did John Williams?

It was originally intended to only be used during the credits. So the "Fates" in that context would just be the Jedi and the Sith. Williams and/or Lucas then decided that some of that music should be used during the lightsaber fight, but then retitled that bit of music as GREAT DUEL.

Lucas may not have come up with the names of these songs, but he had to have approved of them. Which means Lucas himself was okay with the music used during the duel itself being simply called GREAT DUEL and not DUEL OF THE FATES.

I think any correlation between the actual song DUEL OF THE FATES and the lightsaber fight in TPM comes from people not knowing the proper names of the songs. GREAT DUEL is played during the lightsaber fight. DUEL OF THE FATES is played during the credits.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
  23. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Qui Gon Jinn is definitely one of my favorite Jedi. It seemed odd at first as he took alt of Obi Wans story in TPM, but it turns out all for good reason. A good actor with good parts, mentoring one of the best Jedi ever, finding the chosen one, facing a Sith , and learning how to become one with the Force. Can't say much more about that resume.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  24. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Neeson was a fantastic choice for Qui-gon, and filled big shoes by showing us what Jedi were like before the "Dark Times". What struck me on first seeing him was how he channeled Alec Guiness, projecting a relaxed confidence that comes from wisdom. It made Ewan's performance better to, it was easier to imagine him as young Obi-wan when his role model was so familiar. This inter-generational dynamic makes a strong foundation for the Lucas saga imo.