main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series This Is the Poll: Slave I or Firespray.

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The Chalk Jedi, Jan 20, 2022.

?

Slave I or Firespray? Which name do you like better?

Poll closed Apr 20, 2022.
  1. Slave I. I think references to slavery are cool.

71.4%
  2. Firespray. As a teen, I set whole fields on fire.

28.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    This is the poll you've been waiting for. Which name do you like best for Boba Fett's ship?

clone commander bossk likes this.
  2. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Just for clarification, is Firespray the name of the ship? Or is Slave 1 what Boba named his Firespray Gunship?

Sarge likes this.
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Firespray gunship is the make and model of the ship. Like saying a Buick LeSabre station wagon. Slave I is/ was the ship’s nickname.

4. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    Depends on who you ask, I think. The make has always been Firespray, I believe, but it's also supposedly the name of the ship now too.

Either way, for the poll, simply pick which name you prefer.

5. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I thought Boba said “my Firespray gunship.” Which doesn’t sound like that’s the name of the ship. He was describing the make/ model of ship to Fennec, it seemed.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
  6. The Togruta Jedi

The Togruta Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 22, 2020
    Well it is a Firespray, Slave 1 is it’s nickname; Just like the Millennium Falcon is a YT-1300 Corellian Light Freighter (modified)

DarthFixxxer, LedReader, EHT and 3 others like this.
  7. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    I hear ya, but I'm not sure what's really official anymore. For the poll, I'm just interested in what we crazy fans prefer.

Because personally I don't understand the obsession with Slave I.

Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.
  8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I never liked Slave I either.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  9. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    Basically, you have to think references to enslaving people are cool. No.

10. silentfault

silentfault Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 5, 2021
    lmao
    sorry, but there is plenty of slavery in Star Wars, a fictional setting in a galaxy far far away
    Jabba also dealt with slavery, and now Boba took over Jabba, but of course the show will not address it
    Boba is not a good guy, and his ship was named accordingly - he had wookiee scalps hanging on his shoulder
    what a *****y argument to brand everyone who is against Disney's revisionism and hypocrisy as those who think "references to enslaving people are cool"
    no, in Star Wars they enslave not only people, but also twi'leks, togrutas, wookiees, droids, literally everyone
    not everything is centered around America and its history
    slavery existed long before America and Disney
    and there is PLENTY of slavery in the movies and The Clone Wars, and even Rebels

StoneRiver, cwustudent, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  11. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    Yeah, slavery wherever it is or has been is not cool. Correct.

So to name your ride after it is creepy and not something to be admired.

But if you disagree, that's your choice.

2Cleva likes this.
  12. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I getchya
    I don't like the connotations of the name Slave 1 now I'm a grown up, but I have that nostalgia feel for it because that's what the cool ship was called when I was playing with the toys.
    [​IMG]

13. silentfault

Mar 5, 2021
    That's because Boba Fett is creepy and not someone to be admired. BOBA FETT IS NOT A HERO AND NOT A ROLE MODEL. It's not Luke Skywalker, it's not Leia, or Ahsoka, or Obi-Wan. Boba Fett is a bad guy.
    Even if they still want us to believe he is benevolent, he is STILL a CRIME LORD. He took over Jabba's business, which includes slavery. He is not a legally elected mayor. He took tributes, including a WOOKIEE PELT from Trandoshans. But wait, the word SLAVE I is offensive now? Do they think the audience is braindead, or what? And didn't Jango name the ship that way? Wasn't he himself a slave for years on a spice ship? He himself killed his slavers and broke free. I thought Boba was trying to honor his father's legacy. Apparently not.

Sarge and CrazyOldJedi like this.
  14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I honestly don’t care. So I chose firespsy

Bor Mullet and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  15. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    You make some good points here, but you also seem to overlook how much they are changing Fett. He probably isn't a bad guy anymore, something more like an antihero.

Since he has changed quite a bit, it would make sense for him to rename his ship.

It's always been offensive. However, in the past, Fett was considered a bad guy, so the name made more sense.

If that's the canon history and reasoning behind the name, then they should state so in a future episode, because the idea of a former slave reappropriating the name in a positive way could be positive -- just as communities of color often reappropriate racial slurs.

However, without making that kind of meaning more well known, labeling the ship with the term slave is problematic because it will associate an aesthetically pleasing "cool" ship with something that should not have such associations.

16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Why do I keep hearing about Disney “hypocrisy” over this? How is this a hypocritical act? Do people even know the meaning of words anymore?

17. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    I chose Slave I simply due to the way the poll is worded as I find virtue-signaling over the name of a fictitious ship in a fictitious galaxy to be both unintentionally hilarious and intellectually dishonest at the same time. I am shocked this thread is even still open as a result.

Whether or not Boba decides to change his ship's name due to his change in mindset after escaping the Sarlacc is inconsequential to me, as long as they explain it that way so there is narrative cohesion as opposed to people just acting like the ship was never called Slave I. The name is Canon and the new name will be Canon as well should it be changed.

18. silentfault

Mar 5, 2021
    Still doesn't make sense. He accepted a wookiee hide as a tribute. Trandoshans are known to hunt, kill and enslave wookiees. So, they killed and skinned some wookiee, and brought his skin to Boba Fett. And he's like, "Duh, okay." He didn't react in any way. What am I supposed to take out of this? That Boba Fett finds the name of his father's ship, Slave I, offensive, but not as offensive as a skinned wookiee?
    He is still a crime lord. He is a criminal. I can't imagine this is intended for children, I don't think they want kids to go, "Dad, I want to be a crime lord, like Boba Fett!" This ship rename virtue signaling is absolutely moronic and it is designed to appeal to people who don't even care about Star Wars that much.
    Hypocritical in what they show the character do on-screen and what they try to signal with their irrelevant meta policies for no reason.
    Do you?

GunganSlayer likes this.
  19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Jesus Christ, relax. What a waste of energy over something of so little significance.

Count Yubnub and RetropME like this.
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Man the fact this thread hasn’t closed yet is amazing.

I honestly don’t understand how one can be so invested in a name of a fictional ship. It’s not even a fictional person. It’s just a ship. That doesn’t exist. Sure it looks cool, but do I care about it’s name like at all? No

EHT likes this.
  21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Not to mention that the name was never mentioned in any film. Just one obscure episode of a cartoon.

2Cleva and DarthRamRod like this.
  22. Logray'sBirdHat

Logray'sBirdHat Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 12, 2022

Likely it's to do with their stance/non-stance on the Uighur slavery in China, how they're perfectly happy to appease the PRC due to all their cash moneyz flowing in. No different to the NBA or whatever.

The Slave 1 thing doesn't bother me either way, but it's a fair point. It's a little laughable a stance when you were filming Mulan right next to a literal ethnic-slave-complex a couple years ago and literally thanked the Chinese government for the opportunity in the credits.

But yeah, overall it sounds like it's technically still the "Slave 1" as the name. They'll just never speak/reference that on screen again. It's lame, but not a hill anyone should die on. It'll be "my Firespray" or "your Firespray-class" shenanigans from now on, is what it is. Businesspeople are cowards, but they're gonna do what's good for business.

RetropME and Bor Mullet like this.
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Yep. And honestly I never would have know that unless I looked for it

And on Disney’s hypocrisy? If you are referring to that almost every single corporation that operates in an autocratic country is a hypocrite. If that is what your referring to. However I highly doubt the decision to not use Slavs one anymore came from anyone at Disney. It probably came from some PR person at Lucasfilm who thought having a ship called slave for a protagonist was a bad idea.
    this is probably what happened at a PR meeting

Bor Mullet likes this.
  24. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Yesterday, when I saw that "Slave 1" was trending on twitter I face-palmed so hard that my cheek still hurts.

25. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    They should call it Flower Power

3sm1r likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.