main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Got a question? Ask it here!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthBoba, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Using in-universe logic, what would you say is Vader's reason for not fronting the boarding party on Tantive IV the way he did at Scarif? He seemed more efficient than the stormtroopers.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Probably just the fact that Vader knows the Tantive isn't going anywhere. No need for a swift attack by himself, he can let the Stormtroopers mop up the Rebels then waltz in after to interrogate the officers, he doesn't have to rush. He's not expecting Leia to use the escape pods, but that's something everyone overlooks (kind of a blind spot given the prevalence of droids).

3. Adam Skywalker

Adam Skywalker Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2021
    for me i think Return of the Jedi and A New Hope, that are the best of the classic trilogy, i mean they are started a famous saga ! That we love and know !:);)

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    How did ROTJ start a famous saga?

5. Adam Skywalker

Adam Skywalker Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2021
    i was taliking about the original Star Wars from 1977. (or A New Hope)

6. pellaeon01

pellaeon01 Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 12, 2021
    It started the two part saga of Ewok films, although I'd hardly consider those famous.

7. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Is there a good in-universe reason why the "stun" setting on weapons isn't used by default, and isn't used routinely, for instance when taking prisoners?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  8. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    * Puts on best Staff Sergeant face *
    Because we're at war, mister! It's a Star War....s.

Darth__Lobot and Sarge like this.
  9. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Right! Do you think we're out on some sort of leisurely space hike?!

Sarge and DarthIshyZ like this.
  10. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Well, yeah we're at war/s, that's why. What's with "Freeze! Hands up!" when you can just shoot and stun them and incapacitate them right away?

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  11. study888

study888 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 16, 1999
    I like the Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker the best, depending on which one I'm viewing at the time. I like Revenge of the Sith more than The Force Awakens and TFA more than RoTJ, RoTJ more than TESB TESB more than Clones, CLONES more than ANH and ANH more than TPM. And I love TPM.

@Count Yubnub Give them a chance to surrender willingly is my guess.

My question: Is there still an EU/Legends Forum here on tf.n?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  12. GallonOfAlan

GallonOfAlan Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2021
    Regarding the UK theatrical double bill of Star Wars\The Empire Strikes Back that came out in (I think) 1980. I seem to remember each film being shortened to some degree for this release as otherwise it would have been around a 240 minute running time with an interval. Were cuts made? Is there any record of what got chopped ?

TIA

13. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    It's kind of funny that they don't shoot the escape pod just because it's empty. I mean were they worried about wasting ammo?

Lulu Mars likes this.
  14. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    What's more, that captain just assumes that the pod short-circuited. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes when Vader finds out...

15. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    What there is no budget in the SW Universe. The emperor had just shelled out a boat load for the Death Star :p

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  16. Theron Nett

Theron Nett Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2021
    In what sources does Commander Desanne appear?

17. LiIPup

LiIPup Jedi Youngling

Oct 23, 2021
    Hi I wanted to ask what r2 said to luke when he went to see yoda the first time. It pops up on his screen in his xwing. People say he's trying to trick luke into letting him fly so he can go back to resistance but it does not seem that way to me

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  18. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Has Lucas ever said the OOU reason why Obi-Wan was called Ben? I know the EU has offered IU reasons, but what was the OOU reason?

19. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    In the August 1975 third draft, he's just "Ben Kenobi", as his actual name. The March 1976 revised fourth draft (the basis for the shooting script) adds in the idea that "Obi-Wan" was his real name and that "Ben" was a nickname.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  20. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    Apart from "Ben", "Luke" and "Owen" ("Rose" in the ST) are there any more everyday common names in the saga?

I get that the more outlandish names have a certain appeal and can be made so phonetically they might be more indicative of the character, but it's strange that there are then a few "Earth" bound names in the mix too?

21. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I think GL was playing about with names for his wise former Jedi, changing it in different drafts until he was satisfied with Ben Kenobi.

22. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    There's quite a few. I made a list about five years ago, but who knows where it is now. Ric, Dexter and Janson (along with Sabine, Ezra and Caleb (Kanan's real name) from Rebels) are all I can think of off the top of my head.

There's also a number names like Finis Valorum which is Latin, Padmé which is Sanskrit, Bogdan is Slavic, and Calrissian is Armenian.

23. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    The designation Obi-Wan ("OB-1") perhaps was meant to suggest that Obi-Wan was a clone himself.

On the topic of Padme's name, her regnal name Amidala likely comes from the amygdala, the part of the brain which generates emotions, particularly strong ones like fear. Thus Padme's name means "one who strikes fear", suggesting a parallel with Anakin to Wagner's Siegfried, who literally does not understand fear until he meets Brünnhilde. Cf. also Anakin's nickname "Hero With No Fear".

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
    DarthIshyZ likes this.
  24. CloneBlooper

CloneBlooper Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 20, 2002
    Max.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Han is somewhat common.

DarthIshyZ likes this.