main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga To Every Thing There is a Season |the Kessel Run Challenge, Winter 2022

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Seldes_Katne, Jan 15, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    Welcome to my story thread for 2022’s Kessel Run Challenge, hosted by ViariSkywalker.

As readers probably know, the title of the thread comes from the Book of Ecclesiastes, in the Hebrew Bible. The first part of Ecclesiastes Chapter 3 enumerates different experiences in life: birth, death, grief, joy, planting, harvesting, receiving, giving away, etc.

Since I don’t know what most of the challenge prompts will be as I write this in early January, I can’t really describe what will appear here. Some of the stories my fill in blanks in my “Mythologist” and “Notes from the Field” threads. Some may feature canon characters. Some may introduce new OCs. It’s going to be surprises all around, I imagine. Hence my choice of Ecclesiastes for the title. (And current lack of tags....)

Index of Kessel Run Challenge Fics:

Week 1" A Proper Farewell. (Write a story between 100 and 1,000 words that starts with this sentence: “Saying goodbye was never easy, but she couldn’t put it off any longer.”)

Week 2: Family Matters. (Write a dialogue-only story between 400 and 800 words in which two characters have a disagreement.)

Week 3: Open Mic Night at Anthon's Restaurant. (Write a set of 5 drabbles with the following prompts: beacon, discovery, arcane, sister, burden.)

Week 4: Wisdom of the Force. (Write a story between 100 and 1,000 words from the perspective of the Force.)

Week 5: Mystery from the Past. (Write a story between 600 and 1,000 words with your OTP (or any romantic pairing, canon or otherwise) in which your characters do not touch, and that includes the following sentence: "All things considered, this was an interesting way to wind up in prison." Word limit = 600-1,000 words)

Week 6: Unreliable Allies. Write an AU (alternate universe) story of at least 500 words where the moral alignment of one of your characters is the opposite of (or drastically different from) what it is in canon and/or Legends.

Week 7: The Final Walk of the Pilgrim's Way. Write a story between 100 and 1,000 words that is entirely introspection. No spoken dialogue, no action.

Week 8: Finding Direction. Write a story of at least 400 words from the POV of a character you hate/dislike and make them sympathetic.

Week 9: Death Star. Write a poem in any style/form and of any length.

Week 10: Testy. Write a story between 100 and 400 words, and include these three words: galvanize, cavalier, adversary

5 + 1 Challenge: In Which All Roads Lead to Dok-Ondar. (Five sales and a purchase.) Write a longer vignette/one-shot between 2,000 and 8,000 words using the "5+1 Times/Things" format. The first five sections will usually have the same "thing" in common, while the last section is an inversion of the previous sections.

Bonus Material:
    "Get Out of Jail Free" Prompt: Write a letter -- any type of letter for any reason, by any character. Unavailable.

The Other 5 + 1 Challenge response. (Pretty sure this one's cheating....) Untitled

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
  2. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    A Proper Farewell

Saying goodbye was never easy, but she couldn’t put it off any longer. It had been hard enough the first time, when she was just leaving Coruscant to do research for her doctoral degree, and knew she’d return someday.

This time, however, the parting was likely permanent: she’d earned her degree, knew that living on a planet-sized city held no appeal, and had found some unpleasant surprises with friends missing or changed, and an authoritarian government in power.

“Since the future is unknown, we must make this a proper farewell,” Ivuur Hannow stated. She and her husband stood side by side before Vestri.

Vestri had seen this once before, the last time she had left -- not done for her, but for her friend Querth Enon, a distant cousin of the Hannows.

~*~*~*~​

“I’m afraid I will have to give this back you,” she said, handing Neelig Hannow the plant he had given her to tend.

The Ithorian nodded. “Most plants prefer to stay in one place, but now is your time to travel.” He held the pot up and examined the plant. “You have cared for it well. It has thrived. On our next trip to Ithor’s Harvest Moon, we will give it to the caretakers to place in the soil of our homeworld. You will become a part of our race’s history, Vestri Dain.”

Vestri smiled. “I’m flattered.”

Members of her new research team would meet her at Westport that evening, but for now, she was saying her farewells to her former landlords and picking up their distant family member, who had asked to join her team.

“Querth Enon,” Ivuur said, holding a hand out to the other Ithorian. “We know you have decided your time on Coruscant is ending, and you wish to take leave of us. We must give you a proper farewell.”

Ivuur and her husband faced Querth, and Ivuur took both of Querth’s hands in hers. She pressed the flat part of her upper face to his, and both closed their eyes. They began to hum in unison. Then Ivuur stopped humming and spoke.

“Querth Enon, who has become a child of my heart, I thank you for the time you have spent with us. Your love for the natural world has brightened our lives and will become a blessing on the galaxy. May you walk in paths of life and light all your days.”

Neelig took Querth’s hands in both of his and pressed his face against Querth’s. “Querth Enon, who has become a child of my heart, I thank you for the time you have spent with us. Your willingness to learn and share your knowledge has brightened our lives and will become a blessing on the galaxy. May you walk in paths of life and light all your days.”

Querth took Ivuur’s and Neelig’s hands in his and leaned forward. “Ivuur and Neelig, who are now and forever my family, I thank you for the time I have had with you. The teaching and opportunities you gave me here on this world will be carried into the galaxy with me, to be freely given. You will remain a blessing to this world. May you walk in paths of life and light all your days.” He began to hum, and the Hannows joined him, eyes closed, for several minutes.

Then hands were released and Querth turned to Vestri. “If you are ready, it’s time to go.”

~*~*~*~​

Ithorian customs were often beautiful, Vestri reflected as Neelig took her hands, but that didn’t make this any less painful.

Neelig bent down slightly and pressed his face against Vestri’s forehead. He hummed for a few moments. “I’m sorry,” Vestri said. “I don’t know the tune.”

“The tune does not matter,” Ivuur assured her.

Neelig said, “Vestri Dain, who has become a child of my heart, I thank you for the time you have spent with us. Your willingness to learn and your delight in beings different from yourself has brightened our lives and will become a blessing on the galaxy. May you walk in paths of life and light all your days.”

Ithorians did not weep, but Humans did, and Vestri could feel tears on her face. Neelig pressed against her gently and squeezed her hands, then let go and stepped back.

Ivuur stepped forward and took Vestri’s hands. “Vestri Dain, who has become a child of my heart, I thank you for the time you have spent with us. Your good humor and willingness to work hard for your goals has brightened our lives and will become a blessing on the galaxy. May you walk in paths of life and light all your days.”

Vestri inhaled deeply twice, then clasped the Hannows’ hands in her own. “Ivuur and Neelig Hannow,” she began, a bit shakily, “who have become like a second set of parents, but in a good way –” the Hannows huffed in humor “—I thank you for the time you have given me. Your allowing me to stay with you and willingness to introduce me to so many beings and experiences has brightened my life. I hope to carry those things forward as I travel my life’s path. May you both walk in life and light all your days.”

The Hannows released her hands, then carefully pulled her into a three-way hug. When they let go, Vestri added, “Promise me you’re going to stay safe. There’s an ugly ‘Human-first’ attitude on the rise here.”

Ivuur nodded. “In three months, we leave Coruscant for the nearest herdship. We have already begun selling off our excess herbs. We have seen this thing before – it comes and goes, like all cycles.”

“Then perhaps I will see you again someday after all,” Vestri said.

“We could welcome that,” Neelig told her. “Until then, may the blessings of the universe go with you.”

“And with you.”

~ End ~

Author's note: the Ithorian ceremony of "Proper Farewell" is strictly my invention, but I thought it fitting for a species who are mostly pacifists and seem to respect most life forms.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Great introduction to your characters. I like Vestri and the Hannows

Kahara and Seldes_Katne like this.
  4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    “And a time to every purpose under heaven”! Perfect title for this challenge and its “you never know what you’ll get” prompts. And a lovely piece with which to kick it all off—beautiful ceremony and flashback, and beautiful comparison between the HUGE difference between seeing something like this done for someone else (as in the flashback with Querth) and having it addressed to you, which makes it all the more personal and emotional! I especially love the way there is room in the ceremony for all parties to add specific, personal compliments to each other (and even a tiny bit of humor, as we see when Vestri addresses the Hannows). I too hope for the blessings of the Galaxy for all three of them as they part, and that the Hannows will stay as safe as they can given the current Galactic situation; and would that we all could be as secure in the knowledge that very Ithorian sentiment that “we have seen this thing before”!

So delighted at the prospect of more Vestri & co. stories—thanks so much for sharing and being part of this! =D=

Kahara and Seldes_Katne like this.
  5. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Great work! It was a very touching ceremony, and the Hannows seem like good people (er, Ithorians). I hope they're able to stay safe, and it would be wonderful if Vestri is able to see them again at some point.

I'm curious if Vestri's comment to the Hannows during the ceremony means she has some difficulties with her parents. I might be interpreting things wrong, but there seemed to be a lot of backstory and character tucked into those few words, Vestri's delivery of them, and even the Hannows' reaction. :)

Excellent job, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what you post with the rest of the prompts! =D=

Seldes_Katne likes this.
  6. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    Thank you. We all say good-bye many times in our lives, and some of those are more difficult than others.

Thank you. I find myself drawing on the Bible for inspiration frequently, and hope that doesn't upset people. (I know that Christians in particular have kind of a bad reputation right now.)

While I understand that ceremonies provide stability by being the same time after time, there should be a way to personalize them as well, since no two people are alike, regardless of race or species. The Ithorians as a whole seem to understand that.

I'm hoping for that in real life right here on this planet at the moment.

Thank you for commenting!

That would be ideal. Always in motion is the future....

We're going to see some of that in the response to Prompt #2, when we meet Vestri's mother. Stay tuned.

Thank you. As I said in my first post, I'm sure there will be surprises all around, including those for the author.

Findswoman likes this.
  7. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    Family Matters
    “Vestri Dain!”

“Mom! What brings you to Coruscant?”

“A legal case. And your father mentioning that you’ve gotten a marriage proposal from a – from a – ”

“His name is Adrick and he’s a Gungan. You’ve met him – ”

“You said ‘no,’ of course.”

“I said ‘yes,’ of course.”

“Why in the galaxy would you do that?”

“Because we’ve been friends for a decade now, we like and respect each other, and there are several advantages for both us and our families in our getting married. Have a seat, Mom. Are you hungry? I can have FLO bring a menu….”

“Yes, I’ll sit. No food. Vestri, I can’t believe you want to do this. Haven’t you met any nice young Human men on Coruscant? Don’t you want to have children someday?”

“Yes, I’ve met several nice young Human men, and … well, frankly, the jury’s still out on my having children. All other considerations aside, I can still do those things if I marry Adrick.”

“Vestri, you can’t legitimately have two husbands – ”

“Actually, in Gungan society, I can. Gungans can have multiple spouses, as long as everyone involved agrees to it.”

“Oh, Vestri, that’s – ”

“Confusing? Sure, but I won’t have to keep track of it for the most part, so….”

“I was going to say ‘barbaric’.”

“Why? Gungans aren’t Humans – they don’t see the world the same way we do. Marriages are meant to strengthen bonds between Clans, in some cases to provide economic or social advantages. You’ve never heard of anyone ‘marrying up’ in a social order?”

“That’s different. Don’t shrug at me. How am I supposed to explain to people that my daughter married an alien and that my grandchildren are green?”

“Mom, I had no idea you were this much of a specie-ist. ‘It’s okay for aliens to live on my planet, but I wouldn’t want my daughter to marry one’? Haven’t you ever met anyone else in an inter-species marriage?”

“Well, yes, I suppose I have met a few. But – ”

“And as for the grandchildren, you can tell folks that the green youngsters are your cultural, not your biological, grandchildren. Gungan marriages have no reproductive requirements or expectations. So Adrick and I wouldn’t have children as a couple, we would just be expected to help raise the Clan’s children, like any other responsible adults.”

“Wait. If Gungans aren’t expected to have children as couples, then how…?”

“The Gungans have methods of selecting individuals to reproduce. They’re amphibians – one couple could literally have hundreds of children over their lifetimes. Imagine if everyone did that. Naboo would be hip-deep in baby Gungans. Individuals in Gungan society are invited to produce children communally, which are then raised by all the adults in the Clan they belong to.”

“I’m not even going to ask.”

“Best not to, I imagine.”

“At one point, you said that everyone involved had to agree to this marriage. What does that mean?”

“That means the two people involved, plus any current spouses, plus the Clan elders, all have to agree to the match. The entire Clan is often affected by a marriage.”

“So if I say I oppose this marriage, what would happen?”

“There wouldn’t be a marriage. Everyone has to agree. You are, after all, accepting Adrick and his relatives into your own family.”

“So I will say ‘no’.”

“That’s your right as an elder. It means I’ll have fewer resources in the Gungan community when I eventually go home to work with Dad on Gungan culture and linguistics, but that’s not insurmountable. However, you might have fewer opportunities as well.”

“What do you mean?”

“Adrick’s Clan knows you’re a lawyer. Some of the Gungans want to interact with the larger galaxy, either by traveling off-world, or by selling goods and services off-world, or, in some really ambitious cases, founding a new colony somewhere. They know they’ll need someone to write up business contracts, or to represent them in court in various cases. Having a lawyer in the family, especially one in interstellar business law, would be a huge asset. The Gungans might be as interested in getting you into the Clan as they are me.”

“Is that meant to make me change my mind?”

“It’s the truth. After all, a marriage like this should benefit everyone involved.”

“Hmm. Well, I suppose I can give it some more thought.”

“Fair enough. Are you sure you don’t want a menu, Mom?”

“Oh, all right. But really, Vestri, why are you eating in a place like this? Have you seen the neighborhood? Tell me you don’t come here after dark!”

“Aaaannndd here we go again….”

I don’t remember if it was the 1970s or the 1980s when I discovered the Jan Darzek series, written by science fiction author Lloyd Biggle, Jr. Darzek was an Earth-based detective recruited by an intergalactic group to investigate strange happenings on a series of planets; his name was drawn by the computer mind that effectively ran the known universe, and it was convinced he was the only person who could solve the mystery. (The computer turned out to be correct.)

One of the series’ most intriguing ideas was inter-species marriage and how it worked. People married folks from other species for social status, economic reasons, political advantage, or just for love. However, it was deemed unfair to deny people the right to reproduce, and so the rule was that you could have a spouse of whatever race you chose, but you could also have a mate of your own species and have children. (The only problem, as one character commented, came if you had a spouse and a mate of your own species at the same time….)

That’s the basis for Vestri’s comments in this piece. I found it to be an intriguing idea, particularly in a galaxy with so many sentient species.

Chyntuck, Kahara, gizkaspice and 2 others like this.
  8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb entry! =D= I can totally relate to Vestri's mom's point of view and concerns. [face_thinking]

Findswoman and Seldes_Katne like this.
  9. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Awesome story, and the mom has some points- but come on! Let your daughter live her life already!

10. Thumper09

Dec 9, 2001
    Great job! I imagine Vestri didn't enjoy that conversation, but I bet she knew it was coming at some point so had a chance to get some thoughts in order first. Sounds like Vestri's dad might be a bit more open to the idea in general.

Some of the comments like "Don't shrug at me" and "Have you seen the neighborhood?" really helped to convey not only actions but also tone, background, and that sense of well-meaning-but-overbearing-parent. :p I feel for Vestri's long-suffering comment at the end.

I hope Vestri's mom comes around and learns to enjoy her new in-laws. A power lawyer doting on a dozen baby Gungans she considers her grandchildren would make for an amusing sight. :p

The EU X-wing novels had a subplot where two of the pilots, a human and a Bothan, developed a serious relationship and had to navigate the IU cultural expectations and differences regarding an inter-species relationship, even down to the consequences of not being reproductively compatible with each other. In this case I think it was the Bothans who didn't want to accept a human into their culture. It's definitely a topic that has a lot of aspects to explore with it, and I liked seeing the thought and the detail you put into your entry that addresses the challenges and benefits.

Looking forward to more entries!

11. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh ho, very interesting and apropos choice for the disagreement prompt! I figured it was likely to come to this at some point with Vestri’s engagement to Adrick. I love how Vestri has an answer for all her mother’s objections—some serious, some humorous, but all spot-on, and they result in maybe-kinda-sorta-bringing her around to see the reason of it all. And what an adorable ending, too—partly a “here she goes again” moment,” of course, but in a way, I wonder if Vestri might be a little relieved that her mom is changing the subject—just a little! Great work once again, and a wonderful addition to Vestri’s ongoing story, which is turning out to be as much about her as about the peoples she studies! =D=

Seldes_Katne likes this.
  12. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    love the comments. Vestri going against her mother and in the end where they are meeting and eating what?

Seldes_Katne likes this.
  13. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    Thank you. I'd like to think Vestri's mom really wants what best for her daughter, even though they disagree on what that might be....
    True, although Vestri's life choices here will affect the rest of her family to some extent as well. I'm hoping everyone can reach a consensus on this topic.

Thank you. Yes, Vestri's dad is quite pro-Gungan.

That idea makes for quite an amusing mental picture. I may have to work that in somewhere in the future. :D

Given how integrated so many species seem to be in the GFFA, this has got to be something that comes up with some frequency. It was an interesting thought exercise. Glad you liked it. Thank you for commenting! :)

When I started writing these stories, I had no idea how much Vestri was going to be developed as an OC. I thought she would just be a connection between a bunch of collected stories. Surprise! [face_hypnotized]

I think the disagreement springs less from the idea that Vestri's mom is "anti-Gungan" and more from the fact that as an adult and a parent, Mom has a different perspective on life in general. We'll see how this whole situation develops.

Thank you for commenting. :)

Thank you. They are, of course, at Dex's Diner, where Vestri's mother has tracked her, and I hope they are going to have a calmer discussion over their meal. It's not good for one's digestion to argue while eating. :)

Findswoman likes this.
  14. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    Open Mic Night at Anthon’s Restaurant
    (Note: the challenge for this week: Write a set of 5 drabbles with the following prompts: beacon, discovery, arcane, sister, burden)

“Discovery”

Penald Krull, professor of Mid-Rim Literature at Sanbra University, had chosen to advertise the event as “Literary Lights: A Night of Poetic Discovery.” Students would take the opening spots, reciting classic or original poems, and then the public would be invited to participate.

Several faculty members were in attendance as well, including Tem Eliss, the Sentientology Department Head, and Osso Harch, the Thisspiasian astrophysics professor.

When the third student reciter hit the 51st stanza of “Ode to My 14th Lover,” Harch began scanning the restaurant’s special events menu and muttered, “Please tell me that some of these drinks contain alcohol.”

“Arcane”

“Was that based on a historic event?” Eliss asked the Mrlssi male who had finished his recitation and was now consulting with Krull.

“Yes, professor. As our civilization advanced, our population grew, but when threatened with massive crop failures, we had to find and relearn more sustainable farming methods.”

“Before you submit this poem for a grade, do me a favor and look up the words ‘arcane’ and ‘archaic’,” Krull suggested. “I don’t think a couple of those lines meant what you thought they did. Unless your people really did use magic instead of old technology to resolve that crisis.”

“Beacon”

“I have a poem,” Harch said suddenly.

Eliss and Krull both stared at him. “You? Seriously? You’ve been complaining about everyone else’s recitation all night,” Krull said finally.

“They’ve all been too long and complicated. I prefer short and simple.”

“This from an astrophysicist,” the Besalisk remarked. “Okay, why not? Go ahead, Osso.”

The Thisspiasian slithered up to the microphone. “I have this rhyme for students learning basic hyperspace travel theory, on the importance of double-checking navigation numbers:

A miscalculation, I fear
    Means our beacon will never appear.
    Despite recalibration
    And best navigation
    We simply can’t get there from here.”

“Sister”

The youngest participant of the night was a six-year-old Twi’lek, who had to stand on her toes to reach the microphone. She read a poem called “My Sister,” which she had written herself, describing her sister leaving home to fight the Seperatists occupying Ryloth.

The girl concluded with:

“My sister’s brave, and smart, and fast.
    I hope she will come home at last”

and a hand-drawn picture she had made of her sister; the performance drew a collective “Awwwww” and words of encouragement from the audience.

Krull glanced sideways at Harch. “Simple and effective?”

“Yes, indeed,” the Thisspiasian replied, nodding.

“Burden”

“That is poetry?” asked Anthon Suzal in his heavy Zygerrian accent.

Krull nodded.

“I must be unfamiliar with this definition of poetry,” Suzal remarked. “What is this -- epic – about?”

“The burdens of his life.”

Suzal blinked at the Rodian reciting. “He looks well-fed despite these burdens.”

“He should,” Harch said. “His family could buy Sanbra University ten times over.”

“Even the wealthy have troubles, you know?” Krull remarked.

Suzal shook his head. “No, I don’t. Tell your suffering sage I will trade places with him. I would happily live in luxury, and leave him the burden of washing dishes.”

Penald Krull, Osso Harch and Anthon Suzal are OCs. Tem Eliss, however, is canon (or at least Legends).

Most of the non-Human species mentioned should be familiar (Rodians, Twi’leks); some of the less familiar species:
    Besalisk
    Mrlssi
    Thisspiasian (the same species as Jedi Council Member Oppo Rancisis)
    Zygerrians

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
  15. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    love the various poems and remarks from Krull, Eliss, Harch and Suzal
    and Discovery with the long poem and wanting something to drink that contains alcohol; hilarious

16. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
  17. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    A POETRY JAM! I love it! What a fun and creative way to bring together these disparate prompts, and what a variety of poets (how many different species did you pack in here? I’ve lost count! :p ) and just as great a variety of moods, from clever limericks to lengthy jeremiads to a kid’s sincerity. And Harch, Eliss, and Krull (and Anthon Suzal) make a wonderful “Rosencrantz and Guildenstern” team! Bravissima on another wonderful addition to your series! =D=

18. Thumper09

Dec 9, 2001
    Great work! I saw "poetry" and immediately thought "Vogons," then I realized I was in the wrong franchise. :p

I was partial to the hyperspace poem. :) Astrophysics poems are vastly underrated. From Eliss's and Krull's reactions, part of me wonders if Harch's sharing of his poem was helped along by any alcohol he managed to find on the menu earlier, heh. (Though it's a testament to his endurance that he made it all the way to stanza 51 before looking.)

I agree with Findswoman, this was a great way to tie the prompts together while still exploring different species and their cultures, like the Mrlssi historical event. Great job!

Seldes_Katne and Findswoman like this.
  19. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    Thank you to everyone who commented. Before I get to individual responses, let me state for the record that most of my experience with poetry recitation was actually a local event here at home, which was open to students in grade 1 - 8 in any school in the county. My library co-sponsored this for five or six years, and each year it was inspiring to see all these young folks stand up in front of an audience and recite, even if it was just a four-line poem from Shel Silverstein or Jack Prelutsky. So my jokes about poetry jams (or slams, depending), don't really reflect my actual experience. (And I do like poetry, I just can't write it myself, as evidenced by Osso Harch's astrophysics limerick.)

Thank you. The need for alcohol often depends on the subject matter of the poem and how long the recitation lasts, I suspect. Glad you enjoyed it!

Thank you. And your post reminds me that I owe you a couple of comments on your thread, as I found one of your drabbles intriguing and want to ask about it over there.

A poetry jam seemed like the easiest way to incorporate all these prompts in a coherent fashion. (And I'm not sure what series ViariSkywalker took inspiration from, since I don't watch much television any more. But hey, it all worked out, so no complaints here!)

I have a whole list of non-Human species I want to incorporate into stories, so I just picked a bunch and ran with it. Afterwards I realized that there are effectively no Humans in this piece at all. I have achieved alien Nirvana! O:)

To quote Captain America: "I got that! I understood that reference!" :D (And it's been a long time since I read that series, too.)

Please don't let any inaccuracies in the poem cast doubt on Harch's understanding of his subject matter. Any errors are on the part of the author/poet.

Thank you. And thanks for reading!

Nehru_Amidala and Findswoman like this.
  20. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    Wisdom of the Force
    (Write a story between 100 and 1,000 words from the perspective of the Force.)

I listened, and the Force spoke to me:

"All.
    I am All
    And with All
    And in All.

"I came into Being with the First of the Living,
    The Smallest Ones
    Not even full cells, only a part,
    As I am a part of All,

"And we joined, carrying one another,
    As the Smallest Ones joined with others
    To form cells, to create organisms,
    To become individuals,
    To expand into races and species and genera,
    To spread across the worlds and galaxy,
    To become one with All.

"I hear the All,
    See the All,
    Touch the All,
    Either in word or song,
    Mist or fire,
    Branch and root,
    Emotion or thought,
    I am there,
    We are there.

"The All forms a galaxy,
    Some burn bright against the backdrop,
    Others glow dully,
    Some I hear sing, alone or in chorus,
    Others shroud themselves in Dark,
    But they too are part of me, of All
    For without Darkness,
    Who would see Light?
    If All were Light,
    Could we bear the brightness?

"Draw close to me,
    You can hear me, and you who cannot,
    You who can touch me, and you who cannot,
    You who can wield me, and you who cannot,
    For my words are not just for the strong
    Or the gifted,
    Or those set apart,
    But for all the living,
    Everyone and everywhere,

"For you too are part
    Of the All."​

~ Kozem Pel, Disciple of the Whills, the planet Jedha
    From Collected Poems, Prayers, and Meditations on the Force

I’m still looking for an actual copy of Collected Poems, Prayers, and Meditations on the Force for my home library. So far, no luck. (C’mon, Disney and Lucas Films, don’t make me write it myself…!)

Kozem Pel is mentioned in Greg Rucka’s Guardians of the Whills; Pel selected and edited the writings found in Collected Poems.

A bit more information is available here, mostly taken from Rucka’s book and the Star Wars movie Rogue One:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Disciples_of_the_Whills

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Kozem_Pel

Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
  21. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    The Force as a poem. All is the Force. Beautiful response

Seldes_Katne likes this.
  22. Thumper09

Dec 9, 2001
    Excellent work! I love your Force poems. :D (I still need to read that book by Rucka, too...) I like how the depiction of the Force finding value in all life without judgment mirrors the theme of your stories where the different aspects of life and different beings are explored with openness and curiosity. Great job! =D=

Seldes_Katne likes this.
  23. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Beautiful! =D= What a big grin I grinned to see another Kozem Pel poem from you! (And I have a feeling that you could write such a book better than anyone at Lucasfilm could! Now that said, I need to finish the Rucka book, too!) What a wonderful statement of the all-encompassing, all-inclusive Force first introduced to us in the OT—even the small, even the Dark, even the non-Force-sensitive are part of the All, and as such loved. And like @Thumper09 says, this view of the Force fits so well with the rest of your oeuvre and really confirms its themes of love and respect for all life forms. Thanks for another wonder gem—keep them coming! =D=

Seldes_Katne likes this.
  24. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    A beautiful pslam on the holiness of the Force. Why don't we have a Force Bible or something?

25. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    Thank you. It seems to be a universal idea.

Thank you. Definitely read Rucka's book -- it features Chirrut Imwe, one of my favorite Star Wars characters, and his buddy Baze Malbus, and expands on the culture of the Holy City on Jeddha before the events of Rogue One.

Thank you. If the Force flows to and from all life, then all life plays a part and has a value. Rather like many forms of spirituality -- some are deeply in-tune with it, some are oblivious, some are in-between, but everyone is part of it.

I'd totally read a Force Bible. Let's keep an eye out for a copy. :)

Findswoman likes this.