main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT what is so great about ESB ?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by cantthinkofone, Dec 15, 2021.

1. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Character-building
    Better locations than the original film. Space and aboard the Death Star (and other ships) take up over a third of the run-time. And we only see the surface of two planets/moons. Tatooine and Yavin IV. We have Hoth (ice/snow/mountains), Dagobah (swamp), and Bespin (gas planet with a floating city). Plus, we still get ships plus an asteroid field.
    One of the best lightsaber duels in the saga
    A legendary musical score.
    That's just a few things.

2. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    No one is going to waste their time typing out THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION for every post. It's implied; just move past it.

Nate787 and CloneBlooper like this.
  3. IJjones41

IJjones41 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2021
    Ah . . . no, it's not really implied. Not to me.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
  4. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    Well, it is to everyone else. So, this seems like more of a YOU issue and less of a FORUM issue.

5. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    I haven't seen it in a while, but to put it simply: it's more mature than ANH and it builds upon the characters we saw in the last movie.

I probably need to watch it again though.

6. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    edit

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
  7. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    It’s the most spiritual of the OT films. It builds on the mysticism hinted at in ANH. This element is what makes Star Wars, not Star Trek.

8. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I agree. That said, I believe ROTJ is spiritual in its own right. But I get what you're saying. To me, I look at TESB and ROTJ in more of a Mahayana Buddhist light. But I can also see it from a Leftist Christian vantage point, as well.

9. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Indeed. Agreed. I can see it from a Conservative Christian vantage point as well. I believe Lucas pulled from many sources and inspirations.

Sarge and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  10. Skywalker_Luke

Skywalker_Luke Jedi Knight

Jan 9, 2017
    You can still be a kid of the ST and love the OT- I am. So I don't understand what you're saying, but ok :)

I first watched ANH -my very first experience watching Star Wars. It was intriguing right from the start. Great adventure and characters. Then I watched TESB, and it focused more on the already existing characters -gave more background information and was character driven. Darth Vader had alot more screen time, there was romance/banter, adventures, new characters were introduced into the movies (Yoda, Lando & Boba) that people (my family and friends) still to this day know- even if they're not fans of SW.

christophero30 likes this.
  11. Tosche_Station

Tosche_Station Jedi Master star 2

Feb 9, 2015
    The bolded part definitely. I've sometimes wondered why Lucas decided to take out the political situation and the Rebel Vs. Empire subplot from the story, both things that did however feature in Leigh Brackett's draft of the script. I understand that her script had issues - lessened dramatic 'stakes' and such - but I don't know that taking out or subduing those two plot-points served the next film (or the trilogy as a whole) very well. edit: Maybe he felt it was necessary in order to focus more on the character development aspect. [face_thinking]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
  12. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    This post gives me hope for today's youth. :)

Darth__Lobot and Sarge like this.
  13. Anakin_ Skywalker

Anakin_ Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Feb 5, 2022
    The whole movie is just a masterpiece! If you want to see a movie in space that has adventure, it's character driven, the visionary aspect, the music, the introduction of new characters that are iconic. One sentence that changed everything. I mean, what's NOT to love about it!

I get we all have different opinions, (duh) :) , but I'm also a child of PT- and the OT is just outstanding with this movie as the cherry on top of a mountain of what's good for you- in my book :)

wobbits and SithOverlord101 like this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    It's great because it's almost as good as Rogue One. ;)

15. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    There was a similar thread to this about 5 years ago too.

Everything about it is great from the story, expanding the universe and mythology of SW, the characters seem more rounded and how they seemed to mature in this film, the performances of everyone, the razor sharp script, the cinematography, its got one of the best scores ever, some of the best sets and effects (both visual and sound) and there are so many memorable scenes that we quote even now.

It set the bench mark for sequels and looking back set the trend for trilogies and stories that leave threads open for the third act. Up until then I think that in the main most blockbuster sequels didn't progress things or attempt to change up the formula from the first film like Empire did. Groundbreaking.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
  16. Tosche_Station

Tosche_Station Jedi Master star 2

Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
  17. TFWBWYA

TFWBWYA Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 21, 2022
    Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
    ESB is extremely overrated. It's still a good movie. However, I prefer Return of the Jedi much more than ESB with Star Wars (1977) in first place. I know we all have different tastes, but I am astounded that ESB is held in such high regard.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  18. Paleof

Paleof Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 13, 2019
    Tbh, I don't really get why it's considered "the best SW film," (I would rank it 5th or 6th) but it's a great film all the same. It expands the universe, offers cool twists, has great character moments and visuals. It's a classic for a good reason, I just wish other great SW films were also held in such high regard.

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  19. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    ESB's status is never going away , it's just magnificent .

20. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I love ESB the best. I've watched it more than any other SW film. I like the character development, you meet Yoda, John Williams is at the peak of powers with this score---its sooooo good. I think all the of the original big 3 give their best performances in this movie as well. I don't know. It feels like an "adult" SW movie. I love ti. Plus, Han and Leia are scorching. I'm sorry, those two could sit in a room reading the phone book to each other and it would be hot. I also appreciate the darker tone. I don't know, if you don't get it, you don't get it. And that's fine. But this film will always be my favorite.

21. cantthinkofone

cantthinkofone Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 6, 2020
    doesnt matter which film a person like best, john williams best work featured in TPM. Duel of the Fates is light years beyond any other star wars track. the track with the most expressive for its scene is Battles of the Heroes.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
    whostheBossk and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  22. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    No doubt that was one thing I actually loved about TPM, but it's not my personal favorite. Not by far. But people's tastes differ. And that's fine,

23. Olag_Greck

Olag_Greck Jedi Padawan

Jan 25, 2022
    Because it had AT-AT's, and a chase scene in an asteroid field, and bounty hunters and the first major cliffhanger that had you waiting and anticipating for 3 years. How are they going to rescue Han? Who is the other hope of the galaxy mentioned by Yoda? What does Darth Vader look like under that mask? Who is the emperor? So many questions. 3 years was too long when you are 12.

24. cantthinkofone

cantthinkofone Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 6, 2020
    not at all. cliffhangers were used even in early movies. just 1 example, there used to be 'Serial' genre of movies which included cliffhangers as well.

dont look for "first" in star wars because ill doubt you will find any. every star wars movies pushed or improved or inspired something, but 'first' ? nope.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
  25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It (arguably) has the best score by John Williams.