main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Book of Boba Fett

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jeff_Ferguson, Dec 21, 2020.

1. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I will join the chorus of "That was a great episode of the Mandalorian not Book of Boba Fett"
    I mean, we only have seven episodes, and honestly a lot of the side cast could use some character development. Heck, we don't even have a named Pyke villain yet and there are two episodes left...well, ok, Gideon made a very memorable entrance in the last two episodes of Mando season 1 so I suppose they could try the same but still. Plus, Boba is presumably going to need more muscle than just Din and I was expecting some of that this episode...
    But overall I like to focus on the positive and will go back to focusing on how good an episode of Mando it was. Plus, I suppose a lot of these streaming series get six episodes so I will count this as a bonus instead.

-When I heard the rumors that Din would get a N1, I was skeptical, but they really made it work. I loved its chopped, modified design. And the bubble looking like the concept art y-wing bubble is a very nice tough.

-Really cool to see a ringworld. Ever since dark empire I loved the idea of giant space cities and it is great to see more of them, that star wars has major construction projects besides superweapons.

-Bit with Din dealing with starport security was hilarious - quite a contrast to the Rebels crew openly carrying weapons on public shuttles. And to see the sacred blade be put in baggage like that...*chef's kiss* Think the jedi ever had to deal with that?

-Oh hey, Carson Teva again. Interesting to see the New Republic is so close to Tatooine, wonder if they might end up interfering with the gang war a bit.

-The Night of a Thousand Tears was appropriate horrific. Sending in an army of droids to take out any who happened to survive the initial bombardment is a nice touch. Really puts a sour note on the whole Rebels Mandalorian plotline.
    ---Does the fact that the Empire was only using droids for cleanup despite not using droids much usually imply those bombs were radioactive as well?

-I was almost shocked to hear Concordia mentioned again - interesting tidbit about the Children of the Watch being there. It ties in nicely to the Mandalore Plot mentioning that the warriors had been banished to the moon, and implies that the Mandalorian purge was more aimed at Mandalore itself than all of Mandalorian space, leaving it open how other worlds like Krownest, Concord Dawn, and Ordo faired. Then again, the fact that the CoW had to move and the fact Mandalorians as a whole are repeatedly referred as in hiding might mean that the Empire actively targeted other Mando worlds afterwords

-Between that and Din learning many of the same lessons Sabine did...I really want to Sabine and Din to meet. I usually am not one to want meet ups like that, but I really feel like they could have interesting conversations.

-Good to get a proper womp rat. Maybe now people will stop mistaking scurriers for them. Honestly I am shocked how long it took given how many episodes of various shows have taken place on tatooine.

-Sad to see the spear go, but it is nice to see some armor for Grogu

- I saw a lot of people speculating that the CoW would try to kill Din and I thought they might be more understanding...looks like more of a middle. I am surprised they didn't try and demand the armor back.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I find the complaint of "tonally inconsistent" to be an odd one. Both in terms of verisimilitude and viewer enjoyment, it seems better for tone to fluctuate a bit. I thought this episode did it well - the dark bit were Din struggling with his identity and past, the humorous bits were dealing the annoyances of a mundane world that doesn't know or care about what he went through.

Oh yeah, definitely. There are some interesting locations that aren't getting any kind of name

2. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    BDH is pretty good at this whole star wars show thing

3. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Amazing what a show can accomplish by slowing down and taking an interest in the stuff it presents. I'd argue the second episode also did this, to excellent results. It's not just the time it spends, but the way it uses anything it shows us to communicate - it's about something. It's absolutely lush with detail - and I don't mean lore and references.
    It's so clear in even just the first scene that Din is still sad about Grogu. Brilliant to make this situation so similar to the first episode - it's cold, he shows the dongle and the puck, same old "warm or cold" catchphrase, and a fight breaks out. Except this time, he's not an efortless badass. He gets hurt. And doesn't really do much to defend himself, either, just takes the injuries. This Din is regressing. He's sad.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
  4. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    Episode did a great job showing Mando's growing hesitance to follow "the way".

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So, rather good episode. But, as is being commented all over, it’s not an episode of TBOBF.

Which is fine- it fits the TCW storytelling style that they’ve based the live action shows (and Solo) around and, of course, since the result is so entertaining, it’s hard to complain too much beyond a desire to see the actual TBOBF story move forward.

Was the pod race canyon always identified as Beggar’s Canyon? I thought they were separate canyons, given the race being Espa based and Beggar’s seemingly closer to Mos Eisley (with the latter supported by Pelli’s proximity here).

6. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    The podrace canyon being Beggar's Canyon goes back at least to the canon Complete Locations book, but I think I remember it being identified as such in Legends. I feel like this show has compressed the space between Mos Espa, Mos Eisley and Jabba's Palace a bit, and given that the starfighter was going incredibly fast it gives enough wiggle room with how much ground he covered. Besides, if we take the two cities Maul looks at through his binoculars in Ep. 1 as Mos Eisley and Mos Espa, they don't seem to be too too far apart. Maybe the podrace track is sorta equidistant?

Sarge, Ghost, JediBatman and 4 others like this.
  7. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Hope that these time the darker side of the NR will be shown. For example, its representatives allowed the Pykes to do ther buisness on Tatooine freely in order to weaken the Hutts. Or (more interesting option) Crimson Dawn successfully allied itself with the new government (by helping to defeat the Empire), infiltrated it and became able to to influence its policy to Dawn and fellow syndicates advantage.

Can be a cruel irony, considering that Mandalorians used the nuclear weapons in Legends.

Barriss_Coffee and MercenaryAce like this.
  8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I don’t think we could retcon Eisley to be the other city Maul sees- we’d have seen it from that distance in TPM, ANH or TBOBF. That has to be another city or another part of Espa poking up from the crater.

And you’re right that the fighter’s speed covers distance Q’s well enough. It’s more that he enters the race from the “Espa side” that makes it weirder, really. If he had gone through counter clockwise through the course it would have jived better with the notion that ge was coming from a different direction.

Daneira and MercenaryAce like this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    7 seasons of The Clone Wars, 4 seasons of Rebels, 1 season completed of Bad Batch with another on the way, 2 completed seasons of the Mandalorian, The Book of Boba Fett is Season 15 or 16, not counting Kenobi, Andor, Ahsoka, etc.
    Should this have been a stand-alone special? Probably, but raises right hand as high as I can, This is where my good will for anything the Mandalorian is. Now lowers left hand as low as I can, This is where my ability to judge it harshly for wasting an episode is.
    They've earned the leeway to do what they want. It's all connected anyway.

10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

At the very least it's Season 15 or 16 of the Filoniverse

Speaking off do we know if Book of Boba Fett is getting a season 2? Did they advertise it as a limited series?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2022
    Vialco likes this.
  11. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Possible that Mos Eisley and Mos Espa are not actually very far apart but seem distant because of impassible terrain between.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Well that was an absolute love letter to the prequels

my kind of scum, Daneira and Vialco like this.
  13. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Some other thoughts and theories:
    I really get the feeling the armorer was former death watch before she joined/reformed the children of the watch after being disillusioned with death watch.

Din injuring himself with the darksaber was an interesting throwback to the idea lighstabers were dangerous for non-fs or individuals whose reflexes are similarly enhanced to use, which I have to admit I thought had been abandoned by this point.

I wonder how Bo-Katan survived this attack, and how Gideon got his hands on the darksaber. Things for next season for Mando I suppose.

...but until we get an answer, I will headcanon it as Gideon leading a team that captured Bo-Katan and lowered Mandalore's planetary defenses to allow for the attack.

I wonder if the X-wing patrols have anything to do with why the Pykes were coming by space liner rather than their own ships? Well, I hope we get to see some pyke gunships in live action.

So the Rodian kid was on the starliner that brought Din to Tatooine, but also on one leaving when Din flew by in his new ship. Connecting flight?

Hmmm....I get where you are coming from, and it isn't a terrible idea, but honestly I hope not.

The NR has been shavitted on enough of late I think and the last thing I want is more ammo for "the empire/first order" did nothing wrong types.

If anything, I hope we get something in the opposite direction - someone commenting that they could work with the empire, but the New Republic isn't cutting deals with the crime families. We got hints of this in Fennec's introduction in Mando season 1 when it was mentioned she was on the run because the New Republic put her employers in prison, and Solo had established how closely the five families worked with the Empire, but a more direct confirmation would be nice.

Perhaps the whole reason the Pykes even want Tatooine is that the NR has liberated Kessel and shut down the slave mines, leading for them to seek new routes and/or sources of spice to rebuild.

That is very true, reminded me a lot of Serrocco from the kotor comics. Honestly, as horrible as this was, I could see survivors of similar Mandalorian atrocities just going "serves em right"

Also possible that Biggs and Luke were just willing to fly way out of the way for the best racing spots for their skyhoppers. I mean, a large distance by foot or ground vehicle can be a short hop by air.

14. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    If there is ever a PERFECT episode who just nailes everything... this one was it! Thx Bryce Dallas Howard!

15. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    They didn’t really comment on whether this was limited or not. Personally I don’t think they could sustain a second season .

Sarge likes this.
  16. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

One line I really like is

When the Armorur talks about how everyone talks a lot about the Empire but it's only been around for 30 something years compared to the Mandalorians who have been around for millennia.

17. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Yes - we shouldn't forget that Tosche station is within walking distance of the Tusken encampment where Boba lived, which was also close to Jabba's palace.

Nom von Anor and MercenaryAce like this.
  18. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Hasn't really been able to sustain one...
    I think we just have to assume Klatooinian language doesn't require them to use their lips the same way we do. Speaking of bulldogs, though, I did like how heavily the design of some of them leans into them looking like dogs.

Barriss_Coffee and Riv_Shiel like this.
  19. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Oops

20. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    The show has been a fascinating look on how genre reviewers have gotten very bad at their jobs since Ebert died. I'm seeing a lot of takes about how this episode has been so different and "why hasn't this been the show" as if it hasn't been like a very clear choice in the show to tell a different story from what we expected, and how, we can disagree with if we like it or not, we can't argue that the creators are making the story they wanted

21. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    And that's fine but what prompted her to ask? Djarin hanging out with Bo-Katandalorians for a bit?

22. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    I assumed it was ritual after a formal challenge

23. jedisor

jedisor Jedi Master star 2

Apr 22, 2011
    I'm picturing a Monty Python type of ending, where the gangs are all out in the street ready to fight and the New Republic comes in and arrests everyone.

24. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    There's fluctuating tone, and then there's 10-15 minutes of building a starfighter while someone cracks really off-kilter jokes every two seconds. Before then having a joke about space cops giving him a ticket for speeding.

25. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    I believe we see her ask the same question after Din and Paz fight early in season one.
    I like that we saw a mix of Mando season 1 Klatooinoan designs and Book of Boba Fett Klatooinoan designs. I remember in season 1 thinking they didn't look quite right, but seeing them all side-by-side is great. Variety! Not all humans look alike either!