main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Gaming Förceboat Parté - JC G4m3z thr34d (Gaming General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Recent video on the new Valve Steam Deck, up for pre-order and to be released next month.

It's not on my radar and likely won't be anytime soon, but if this thing comes drastically down in price at some point (like cut in half, for instance), I'd definitely consider it. It's interesting that Valve is apparently willing to share their build structure with other PC manufacturers. It could mean you might see an Apple and IBM/Lenovo handheld in the not-too-distant future. And you know Microsoft would love to jump in the bandwagon.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Apple won't, MS would go proprietary rather than use an open build.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Half-price is a little much to ask, especially considering that it's already hundreds of dollars cheaper than competitors in the handheld gaming PC market.

4. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Maybe I missed the boat somewhere awhile back. What are the competitors in the handheld gaming PC market? The Switch is the only handheld gaming device I've heard of that's sold in stores right now.

5. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    The AYANEO is one device I'm referring to. Handheld PCs are a pretty niche product and I'm not sure the Steam Deck is going to change that. People who want to play games tend to already have PCs or consoles at home and a phone to play mobile games, and the Switch is relatively cheap.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  6. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    There's a stark difference between playing games on your mobile phone vs. those larger devices. First of all, some of those games on the Deck are identical to those on the current consoles. I've played Control, for instance, and couldn't even fathom playing anything close to it on my Galaxy phone. I know it's wrong to do these days, but when I think of Mobile games, I only think of the small games like Angry Birds, Temple Run, and Candy Crush. Outside of the overall size and demand of some of those console/PC games, it's the touch screens that bother me. I loathe playing any games on a touch screen.

If Sony is done attempting to compete in the handheld market moving forward, these PC devices could be the next big thing. But that substantial price right now won't help much. Considering everyone is trying to get either a PS5 or and Xbox Series S, why would they consider this investment? I could be wrong, but the PS Vita never approached the prices that the Valve will be retailing at, right? Even the Switch never retailed for that much; and of course they can brag about being able to dock your system to play as a standard console on your TV.

7. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    "Retro Power." Well, at least they're candid about their real target audience. :p

The2ndQuest likes this.
  8. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I wonder what the promised battery power is on these devices. I can't picture playing massive games on them for hours on end without having to plug in at all.

9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    If you believe the alleged devkit leak it's like 2-5 hours depending on what you're running and what you've got turned on.

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Depending on what you're running is key. I still own a laptop that's about 15 years old. Unplugged, the battery lasts about two hours; and I don't even run large games on it (I couldn't even if I wanted to).

11. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Yes, there is obviously a difference between a shartphone (EDIT: I'm keeping this typo) and something like the AYANEO or Steam Deck, but most people aren't going to care enough to drop $500+ on a behemoth with short battery life to lug around on the bus. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong.

12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm skeptical about Valve's specific ability to make such a push work more than anything. They're just bad at supporting physical goods past the initial launch cycle. "Oh it'll be different this time" was the talking point when they announced the handhelds, but that was based on nothing, so they can prove me wrong.

Darth Guy and mnjedi like this.
  13. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

I have consoles and a Switch but I want to have a way to play my large PC indie library. The Steam Deck is exactly what I've been waiting for. I pre-ordered day 1 so I'm hoping to get mine early.

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Edge of Eternity is what looks to be a new JRPG that's been under the radar. Stumbled on it by chance with it hitting PS5 on 10 Feb.

Of greater significance to me is the soundtrack composer also did Xenoblade Chronicles. It also has a good aesthetic style and town / location design.

Not that I need to add to my backlog....

The2ndQuest likes this.
  15. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Now this would be an interesting crossover; whether as a movie or game. Of course they're never be overlap like that considering the brands.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  16. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002

Yay, more corporate acquisitions!

The2ndQuest likes this.
  17. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    My brain is all over the place right now...

18. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Playstation Plus in a year:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
    Darth Guy and Boba_Fett_2001 like this.
  20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well I've played Destiny once several years ago, and watched a video of Halo on YouTube. I really don't have much interest in either game.

21. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Never been much for the type of game Destiny is, but we’ll done Sony, make me wonder how fast this came together considering PlayStation could potentially have a rather big FPS sized hole in the future.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  22. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I doubt the same people who play Overwatch would necessarily be those that play Halo. Destiny's already on the PlayStation consoles, so they're not gaining anything new.

23. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    explain, please.

they're gaining the ability to withhold destiny 3 from microsoft devices (including pc), should microsoft do the same with bethesda and blizzard/activision titles. destiny 2 is a massive game with a massive player base.

this is all posturing, think of it as an arms race.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    wHHHAt. is. going on? [face_laugh]

That's a weird flip of the coin for Bungie to go from where they started to where they are now. Imagine if they hadn't broken away from Activision earlier? Kinda reminds me of Rare jumping from Nintendo to Microsoft.

Though this doesn't directly affect me (as much as i would love to enjoy Destiny, its art direction is a complete and utter turn-off into generic-ness), it's still pretty crazy.

PimpBacca likes this.
  25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    To blatantly steal an analysis from Jeff Grubb: inflation-proofing. Or, rather, when inflation is tracking the way it is, acquisitions make the most sense for companies, and now there's the added arms race element.

The2ndQuest likes this.