main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Was that REALLY a reactor shaft Palpatine fell down in ROTJ?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by BlueYogurt, Jan 31, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueYogurt

BlueYogurt Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2021
    What exactly was at the bottom of the shaft that Vader threw Palpatine down in ROTJ? It couldn't possibly have been the Death Star's reactor core. The core would have been miles below the surface, and Palpatine fell for only a few seconds. We also have to remember that the emperor's throne room was at the top of a tower. I don't think he even had time to fall to the bottom of that. And why did he explode? Did he strike some type of energy field on the way down, or did he purposely combust to free his sith essence?

2. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Make sure to eat plenty of fiber, otherwise you might get constipated and your sith essence might get backed up.

3. Jediking97

Jediking97 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 24, 2018
    I think the throne was actually at the top of the Death Star so maybe he did fall into the reactor (that huge metal part that Lando and Wedge destroy)

As for him exploding I always thought it was his sith essense spreading.

4. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    It couldn't have been the main reactor, though. It would have been impossible for Palpatine to fall to what was essentially the center of the DS, in such a short space of time. It's possible that the tower had it's own reactor, and that's what he fell into. Since the throne room actually survived the destruction of the DS (TROS), maybe the emperor's tower was designed to be it's own "escape pod". It could have been completely self contained, with it's own power source, and shield generator...sort of like the armored prison tower on Mytus VII, in the book; Han Solo at Star's End.

5. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    ...which could explain the active artificial gravity in TROS, since the tower's reactor wasn't targeted by the Rebels ;)

6. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I like the secondary dedicated reactor.

I think TROS points to Palpatine doing something under his own power to eject the Sith essence and cheat death. Sort of the opposite of becoming a force ghost.

7. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    It's like he was training himself for years to be able to eject his conscience into another vessel. his Sith cultists will have been ready even though Palps was supremely confident the Rebels couldn't win.

8. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. Once the DS wreckage was on the surface of the planet, artificial gravity wouldn't have been an issue.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
  9. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I can't find a picture of this, but when Rey uses the dagger to pinpoint the location of the wayfinder, we see the tower practically lying down. For the scenes inside to happen the way they do, there would have to be artificial gravity.

10. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    That's true. I didn't notice that the tower wasn't upright. While we're on the subject of the throne room wreckage, the fact that the power still works after 30 years (and a massive explosion), suggests that there WAS a separate generator for the tower. How anything survived re-entry is a bit problematic, though.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  11. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i've never thought it was a reactor. i think the blue energy that comes up is just from the force lightning that was still streaming out of him

BlueYogurt likes this.
  12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In Rebels, Palpatine generates a similar blue fiery energy, looking a bit different from Force Lightning, when Ezra's in the World Between Worlds portal network and Palpatine's trying to attack Ezra from his own side of the portal. So it may be simply Dark Side Energy.

There's something bright and glowing at the bottom of the tower though. "Reactor powering the core of the tower" is a nice substitute for "core" given the way the novelization describes it:

Vader stumbled with his load to the middle of the bridge over the black chasm leading to the power core. He held the wailing despot high over his head, and with a final spasm of strength, hurled him into the abyss.
    Palpatine’s body, still spewing bolts of light, spun out of control, into the void, bouncing back and forth off the sides of the shaft as it fell. It disappeared at last; but then, a few seconds later, a distant explosion could be heard, far down at the core. A rush of air billowed out the shaft, into the throne room.

and given the problems with making it the same core that we see the Falcon fly into (The DS2 is many miles in diameter, there isn't time to fall many miles in only a few seconds).

13. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    The throne room is on top of a spire, the elevator doesn't take up the whole circumference of the spire. The question is does the shaft in which the elevator is located continue to the Death Star's core and if it does, why?

14. Tosche_Station

Tosche_Station Jedi Master star 2

Feb 9, 2015
    Sci-Fi Writers Have No Sense of Scale - TV Tropes

15. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    Yeah, the height of the Falcon's interior hasn't ever fitted it's exterior dimensions.

16. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    That's because it's first owner was a Time Lord.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
  17. CloneBlooper

CloneBlooper Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 20, 2002
    It's a sub-core, he fell into a sub-core. A space station version of a power sub station.

CampOfSorgan, BlueYogurt and Sarge like this.
  18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He fell into a really hot hot tub, and that was steam that was coming up.

Alpha-Red and BlueYogurt like this.
  19. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    What I could never understand is why he put his throne room directly above the frickin’ reactor core! That’d be like a modern-day despot putting their bedroom and office right next to a reactor core of a nuclear power plant.

20. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    I think the architect was the same guy who designed Blofeld's volcanic lairs. Palpatine's only choices were a reactor shaft, or a pool of piranhas.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I wonder if it's the same architect who put the giant open-topped blender in Snoke's throne room.

22. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    Palpatine's arrogance blinded him to the dangers...

BlueYogurt likes this.
  23. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    This makes me wonder, how tall is the lift shaft anyways? And does it have other rooms on it besides a nifty throne room? We only see the "porthole" in one direction on the sets, but there are apparently three similar giant windows on that level. Are they just more throne rooms? And why did Palpatine decide he wanted a nice view of the reactor core anyways?

Sarge, BlueYogurt and Tosche_Station like this.
  24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Both Legends and Newcanon have a source that covers this - Complete Locations, which was first published for Legends and then revised and updated for Newcanon.

The tower is 100 stories tall. The other 3 rooms besides the throne room are all different - one is a dock room for shuttles to dock at, one is sleeping quarters, and one is a map room with a galactic holomap.

25. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    Palpatine is in his eighties, and old people are always complaining that they're cold. A nuclear reactor simply warms the room up faster than a space heater.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.