main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Happy birthday Azure!

amidalachick and AzureAngel2 like this.
  2. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Thanks everyone! I am so tired all the time though, everything exhausts me. So it might take a while before I start drawing & painting something.

3. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Take your time, @AzureAngel2 . Just happy to see you are back.

Happy Birthday! Eat lots of gingerbread!

on another note:

An open question to my fellow participants in the Kessel Run challenge :

If I quit, which I am seriously considering to do, would I be missed? Or would my stories fall by the wayside because they are not as popular as what everyone else writes? I admit I like writing from the Imperial perspective and my writing style may not to be what everyone likes, but it really hurts that I put my all into this, and I seem to get overlooked. Am I doing something wrong? I put in a good effort to give feedback for as many entries as I see, but it doesn't seem to be reciprocated?

If this post gets ignored, I will have my answer then.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    earlybird-obi-wan likes this.
  4. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    @Nehru_Amidala don't quit. I like your stories on the Kessel Run and I like your comments

Lady_Misty and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  5. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Well, I won’t quit but I am having a minor mental health crisis right now, so there is that.

earlybird-obi-wan likes this.
  6. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I hope this is improving. If you need anything, please let us all know. Or PM someone.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
    Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  7. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I bought a new pair of running shoes and some technical socks on Sunday. Tonight, I tried to go to my apartment's fitness center to try them out on the treadmill with some walking and light jogging. Halfway there, I tripped on a hidden step and fell flat on the concrete. Result was a bloody hand, bloody knee, and a hole ripped in my good pair of pants, and a slow limp back to my building while the blood running from the wounds congealed from the cold temperatures. Guess I'll try the treadmill another day, and it looks like I'm going to be making an unplanned purchase of pants from Amazon. I had hoped to not have to buy any more pants until weight loss forced me to.

In other news, my mom is having cataract surgery in the morning and is predictably nervous about it. They're doing one eye tomorrow and the other eye in three weeks. She needs to get it done before her driver license is due for renewal this summer because her cataracts have gotten so bad that she may not be able to pass the vision test even with glasses otherwise. She would be legally blind without her glasses, and even with glasses is only around 20/40 to 20/50. But after the cataracts are gone, she will probably be 20/20 without glasses.

8. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Sorry to hear! Hope you're doing ok. Those hidden steps can ruin someone's day! (happened to me before, too)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
    amidalachick and jcgoble3 like this.
  9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Oooh, that’s painful. First year of the pandemic, I got myself a very nice bike and crashed it on the third day. It’s still the one I use, but it has scrapes on the frames where it skidded on the concrete and I had to work from the couch for a month because of my knee injury.

Hope the surgery went well. My mom had that done recently.

amidalachick and jcgoble3 like this.
  10. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    And continuing to be, enough that I dropped by urgent care on my way home from work today to have it looked at. The doctor examined the two wounds and said they look okay and aren't infected, so that's good. He told me to keep them clean with soap and water and keep both of them covered with bandages for a few more days.

I also developed some muscle pain in my left shoulder yesterday (my left side took the brunt of the impact, while my right side, where the bloody wounds are, skidded on the rough concrete). The doctor tested my range of motion and felt it, and diagnosed a minor muscle strain. He told me to keep moving it because movement will help it heal and told me to take ibuprofen and Tylenol for it.

Currently, I'm not in any pain when sitting, standing, or walking normally, but any amount of weight (even the weight of just the hand itself alone) on either of the two wounds hurts like hell. Naturally, the wounds are exactly where I would place my weight when kneeling or pushing myself up from something, so I have to be careful maneuvering around and getting up and down, plus I'm limited in how I can lie in bed since I'm naturally a stomach sleeper, which normally puts weight on both wound areas.

I see the common theme here is buying new workout equipment and crashing on the third day. :p Thankfully my new shoes were protected in a backpack that I was wearing.

It did. She called me last night and told me to turn on my least favorite part of the Winter Olympics (figure skating) just so she could explain to me the difference in her vision in the eye they operated on yesterday. I was with her in the room when she went in for her initial exam and consultation (she wanted me to drive because she had never had her eyes dilated and didn't know how she would react), and only then realized how bad her vision was even with the best correction they could provide. She previously had not been able to read the score boxes on the TV from her chair in the living room, and last night she wanted to show me how she could now read the tiniest text on the screen (which was at even my limit from across my own living room, and I have a bigger TV than her).

Today, she went back for her one-day follow-up, and then went to her eye doctor to have the lens removed from her glasses on the side of the fixed eye. Unfortunately, she now has the problem that one eye is seeing 20/20 without correction, but the other eye is about 20/50 with correction, and the two eyes are fighting against each other and she's not sure how she's going to drive like this for the next couple of weeks once she's cleared to do so (tomorrow or Saturday, I forget which) until the next surgery.

In other news, I accidentally put in a 9-hour day at work today. 8-} Worked from 8:30 to 5:30 without a lunch break. I just grabbed a turkey sandwich from the cooler in the main break room (where they have a little market of sandwiches, snacks, and drinks that you can buy at the kiosk) between meetings and scarfed it down quickly while responding to an email. I got assigned a ticket today that was a little more advanced than what I've done so far, so I kind of lost myself in that coding work only to glance at the clock and realize that it was after 5:00. On the bright side, I'm now at 33.7 hours for the week, so I can either cut tomorrow short with 6.3 hours, or work a full day and flex the excess hours to next week, which would shorten next week for me. Decisions, decisions... :p (Unfortunately, no overtime pay when you're FLSA-exempt like I am.)

amidalachick and Gamiel like this.
  11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    My freakiest thing from my injury was that I landed on my right shoulder and couldn’t feel anything on that side for the next eight hours. I could use my hand for some things, like picking up a piece of paper or signing something, but I was convinced that it wasn’t going to get better and my years as a pianist would be interrupted.

I know what you mean about wounds in inconvenient places. I typically kneel when praying and decided god would understand me praying on my backside for a while.

Glad the surgery went well. I once had surgeries one week a part and went crazy having very different prescriptions. I can’t imagine three weeks.

12. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Ouch! JC! Those hidden steps are awful! I once ran into one with my wheelchair, went flying and broke my elbow. Glad you went to get it checked out. Feel better soon!

The past few weeks have just been a lot (covering maternity leave and car issues - I looked into buying a new one but even just getting in for a test drive is ridiculous and the wait time means I pretty much might as well wait until the 2023s are out - so I am just fixing my Soul but the wait time for the parts has been another factor :rolleyes:). Good news is I finished work early today (actually I just ran out of hours they are willing to pay me) so that's nice. I kinda want to take advantage of the afternoon and go to the pet store and drive across the city to pick up something from my sister... but I'm waiting on two packages that would be inconvenient to miss.

amidalachick and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  13. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I'm opening up the document for an old Star Trek/Star Wars crossover I haven't touched in a long time. And I've actually written some words in it. Also, hi.

amidalachick, Tarsier and Gamiel like this.
  14. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Hey, that’s cool. And hi.

15. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    *throws random thing into thread*

I want to watch this version of Titanic...:D

16. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    So, I do like Titanic... but this made that movie about a thousand times better. :D

amidalachick, Chyntuck and gizkaspice like this.
  17. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Storm Dudley is very busy here wreaking havoc on roads, trees and houses. And Eunice is coming with a vengeance

amidalachick likes this.
  18. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    amidalachick and gizkaspice like this.
  19. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Dudley was duh but Enice created havoc

amidalachick likes this.
  20. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    My grandmother’s name was Eunice, so I was momentarily confused by this until I scrolled up for a minute to see that you were talking about storms.

I went to the symposium on scifi and fantasy that I’ve been attending for over a decade. Last panel I was on was about how to enjoy writing fan fiction. Someone came up afterwards and said they figured out who I was and wanted to make sure they had the right spelling. They then started spelling out k-a-t-e-y…. I let them know that I’m actually kateydidnt’s roommate. It’s been years since someone thought I was her, so we had a good laugh when I got home and told her about it.

21. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
  22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Hahaha I actually knew about this before it was a thing because it’s related to work.

Speaking of work, there’s a reason why I haven’t been around as much as I normally am. We are down to TWO of us due to COVID (and maternity leave). Am I stressed, yes, have I also gotten a (permanent) massive raise and a new role because I’m amazing, yes, yes I have.

23. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Congrats on being amazing. It’s a hard load to bear, isn’t it?

I’m so very tired right now. It’s my post-conference crash.

amidalachick and RK_Striker_JK_5 like this.
  24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yep, that’s pretty much how it went down.
    Coworker/acting CEO: wow, you are really good at writing grants. Congratulations you are now going to be writing all our grants on top of all your other work.
    Me: oh no.

I’m not too mad because I do prefer grant writing above everything else I do, it’s tangentially related to museums (what I went to school for and what I hope to get back into doing), and it means I can ignore other stuff I hate doing like social media and marketing. But it is so much more stressful.

25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    That’s a little like me and the nonprofit I am on the board of. The CEO rewards me regularly because I kept everything going when no one else was and says they couldn’t do it without me. I’d like them to try to do it without me. I love getting the assignments to review Hamilton and the ballet because I’m the hardest worker, but I could do with others trying to reach my level.