main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series The Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi Character Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Feb 23, 2022.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Hello there! This is for Obi-Wan as a character in his upcoming series. What will this show's events mean for him? How much will his characterization in previous material inform his arc here? Just how crazy will he act in his ruse as a desert hermit?

2. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
  3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Ok so will he be named Ben by Leia, Luke, Owen or just a childhood name Satine gave him. And will Alec's Kenobi be in this show. With a post epilogue scene from AHN or close to it.

4. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    Name was given by Imperial TSA agent, same as Han

Justus_Cade likes this.
  5. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    Perhaps for something different, the thought was implanted by a mind-reading space octopus?

Glitterstimm likes this.
  6. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    Are we assuming his use of the name during the TCW Rako Hardeen arc will be ignored?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
    ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Was he named Ben Kenobi there?

8. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020

Having another story behind the name Ben set after this arc would be a bit weird.

9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Then childhood name for him by Satine Kryze.

10. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think he'll maybe use that name whilst he's undercover rescuing Princess Leia... which (hopefully) means that Leia won't know him as Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Knight (as that would create a plot hole with ANH).

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2022
    Mostly Handless and Glitterstimm like this.
  11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Would it really create a plot hole,

Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
  12. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    Considering how heavily retconned Ben's dialogue has been already, it really wouldn't stand out.

He may personally go by the name of Ben, and still have someone else know him as Obi-Wan. One doesn't stop "going by" a name the instant they're called another, that's not how it works. There's certainly no way Vader won't address him as Obi-Wan if they meet.

13. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    Maybe . . . .

And I really mean, "maybe"

Maybe, the "Ben" pseudonym was created by Bail Organa

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Calling it now: He gets nicknamed Ben by Max Rebo.

15. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Yes because Princess Leia's hologram message (ANH) implies that Obi-Wan and Leia have never met...

General Kenobi: Years ago, you served my father in the Clone Wars; now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire.

Otherwise her message would have been...

Hi Ben... remember me? I'm Bail's daughter and we met 10 years ago when you rescued me... and we need your help again...

Point being... I suspect, in order to avoid the above, Obi-Wan will be in disguise when he rescues Leia, and won't reveal himself as being Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2022
    CampOfSorgan and wobbits like this.
  16. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Since this is only ten years after ROTS I am not sure how much to expect that they start making him look like that "crazy old hermit" at this point. Especially given what the leaks have rumored he'll be doing.

17. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I think a big part of that was mainly Owen trying to dissuade Luke from seeking Ben out.

18. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    The only one to call him a crazy old wizard is Owen so not the most unbiased of observations. Besides it being a left over from the previous drafts where the idea was that Ben was in part crazy old hermit that was later given to Yoda as an act he put on. Not even so much the written drafts as just an idea that Lucas had which Guiness persuaded him to drop for a nobler, calmer portrayal.

Oddly enough in the 3rd draft Lucas had this line with Luke being Gandalf to Obi-Wan's Bilbo:

BEN: Good morning!

LUKE: What do you mean, ‘good morning’? Do you mean that it is a good morning for you, or do you wish me a good morning, although it is obvious I’m not having one, or do you find that mornings in general are good?

The Hobbit:

Bilbo Baggins: Good Morning!

Gandalf: What do you mean? Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?

Based on the way he presented himself in ANH and that Luke had previously met him I'd say the "crazy" is something that if he even did was overstated by Owen.

I don't think he'd do the Yoda "crazy" because that'd be too OTT but a more restrained version of that.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
  19. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    I always assumed that he described him as "crazy" because he was choosing to live as a "strange old hermit beyond the Dune Sea." Not to mention a preemptive "don't believe whatever he might tell you."

Yanksfan, CampOfSorgan and Bor Mullet like this.
  20. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Turns out he didn't just call Obi-Wan crazy. According to Owen's psychiatrist from a scene in a comic, he's always calling people that, and has to keep being reminded that "we don't use that word in here."

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Man he still looks great

Bor Mullet likes this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    wt

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
  23. My Name Is URL

My Name Is URL Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2022
    Can I just say that the timing of this with regards to Ewan McGregor's natural aging and the point of time in the story seem perfectly aligned. He looks great in the costume again as a more grizzled and world-weary iteration of the character.

24. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    most exciting is this is 1st and only time, Kenobi will headline his own story.

TWC had some Kenobi arcs but it was an esemble piece that had Anakin, Ashoka and Kenobi has main focus.

Sproj likes this.
  25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Not that I find it to be a particularly grand idea but I had a thought today that something so stressful may happen in this show that it "shocks" his hair a bit whiter just so they can visually bridge the gap to how he looks only a short time later in ANH.