main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    You end up rewriting a sequence TWICE because you realize that the first scenario didn’t fit with a potential obstacle (ship possibly being beyond repair even for a mechanical genius) and the passengers not being seriously injured so you rewrite it to them using an escape pod only to wonder if the ship in question has escape pods and if it does what the dimensions are so you delete what you wrote and start writing a mid air rescue to avoid figuring out whether or not a Star Commuter 2000 has escape pods.

You can dock with one though; if memory serves me right.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

amidalachick, gizkaspice and pronker like this.
  2. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    YKYAFFWW you're playing on Dreamwidth's Snowflake Challenge this month of January and the discussion turns to comments and you realize the comment you've most often offered when reading fic over so long a time: "Poor Obi-Wan!"

3. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    ..you watch a new SW thing and think, "I love this. It's so awesome. What a great opportunity to write a story about it.....with cats." :p

4. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    You work your butt off constantly to make sure what you write is good, but your mostly ignored and it makes you so depressed you go to bed crying because the majority of writers you want to be friends with don’t give a kriff about you and what you write. You give and give, but barely get anything back.

5. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    That was a “like” of sympathy; please don’t give up. I know I’ve struggled with similar feelings of being ignored at times. I think most of us have at some point—not that it makes it easier to deal with. So I really appreciated that you took a moment to comment on my Kessel Run story today. Thank you [:D] I can’t speak for anyone else, but for the last year, it’s been really hard for me to keep up with reading and commenting on fanfic. I’m really trying to get back into the swing, but my lovely post-Covid brain fog is making it tough. Again, please hang in there; don’t give up on something you love [:D]

Lady_Misty and amidalachick like this.
  6. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    Part of you wants to try writing for some of the Valentine's challenges floating around the internet but part of you knows it will make you too depressed and upset when you can't actually write anything so you don't even bother to try.

Then you hear some spoilers for The Book of Boba Fett* and you're like "why do I care so much about whether my crap is 'good' or not when major franchises don't give a **** about even the most basic things making sense". [face_laugh]

*Side note: The spoilers actually sound awesome, just kind of...head-scratching as to why they are doing things the way they are. :p

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
  7. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Kessel Run Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

May 11, 2016
    ....you write a joke story putting your characters in a wild west settings just because you woke up with that silly idea.

8. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Excellent! [face_party]I wake up with that silly idea almost every day.:p

9. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    First of all, I want to acknowledge that your stuff is absolutely not "crap" and although I didn't get a chance to comment on some of your work, I have absolutely read it and it's good! This is the @gizkaspice seal of approval and, therefore, I encourage you to write that Valentine challenge thing floating around the internet!

Second, I also agree with the "the major franchises don't give a ****" thing about basic things making sense which should come as a relief to fanfics that their works don't need to be perfect or everything has to make sense--at least it helped me! :D

10. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    You decide to change a pet’s name with the find and replace feature and discover after you start making grammatical fixes that EVERY. SINGLE. WORD. containing the pet’s previous name is now misspelled!!

And are absolutely fuming as it's too far back to just keep hitting the ‘undo’ button and you don't trust the find and replace feature to not butcher whatever words you have that contain ‘ami’ by telling it to replace all ‘Ami’ with ‘ani’

I changed the pet’s name from ‘Ani’ to ‘Ami’ and now I have ‘mechanics’ misspelled as ‘mechAmics’ and because it's set in a repair shop ‘mechanic, mechanics, mechanical’, etc. come up a lot and I'm only 11,000 or so words in.

I have sent a complaint to Google Docs

amidalachick, gizkaspice and pronker like this.
  11. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    You write just for the fun of writing and expanding the universe of your OC's in the EU and ignoring the Disney-verse. No Mara Jade or Corran Horn or Kyp Durron in that at all

12. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    When you can't come up with a title and you scour various dictionaries and theauruses online to come up with one.

13. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Story of my fanfic life.

14. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    ....you also can't come up with a title so you make the title literally the thing the story is about.

amidalachick and pronker like this.
  15. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Kessel Run Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

May 11, 2016
    ...you reach a level of love for some of your OCs that you understand George Lucas´s veto on killing any of the big 3 in the old EU.

16. Bel505

Bel505 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jul 4, 2006
    When you finish writing your second 200,000 word fic in two years and ... have already written 2,000 words of the next one, somehow.

17. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    Completely agree here. It takes guts to kill off your favourite OCs and you develop a kind of attachment. I know I tried in the past and it just didn't feel right at all|!

18. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    When someone makes a comment on your fic about an idea they'd like to see that you had no intention of considering or adding... but it worms your way into your mind so much that you plan to include it in a new otherwise unrelated chapter just to satisfy the curiosity of whether it's interesting as a story beat.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
  19. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    You're watching a bunch of Canada geese and one of them starts chasing another one, honking very loudly and flapping its wings. The other one moves away at first, then stops, turns to the first one and starts flapping its wings. You laugh because they remind you of your OTP. :p

Lady_Misty, gizkaspice and pronker like this.
  20. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    You're watching a bunch of Canada geese and wonder, "Huh..I should write a fanfic about Canadian geese chasing Kylo Ren and then one of them pecks his butt and Mando-Mango is also there for some reason but the geese respect him."

...You want to write the above but you're too lazy :p

pronker and amidalachick like this.
  21. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    YKYAFFWW you settle into two new fandoms complete with researching unfamiliar characters, poke around for stories, find some but none with the pairing you envision ... and have no plot bunnies to write anything. Zip, zero, nada.[face_skull]

amidalachick likes this.
  22. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    When you make a post on another site suggesting you are open to requests, actually asking for for requests, and get 6 likes but no prompts.:rolleyes: [face_thinking] [face_waiting]

gizkaspice, amidalachick and pronker like this.
  23. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    You can’t decide when exactly to set an AU and can’t help but wonder that because it’s set in an alternate universe with a small/big change does it change whether or not a character is blinded?

amidalachick, pronker and gizkaspice like this.
  24. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    You read a fic and next thing you know you're thinking about songs you know with lyrics involving cats and now you have a thing you want to write to go along with all the other things you want to write but don't have enough time/energy/will to live to actually write. [face_mischief][face_laugh]

pronker, gizkaspice and Tarsier like this.
  25. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    Dew it! :D

pronker and amidalachick like this.