main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Hit it." - Star Trek: Strange New Worlds [Paramount+]

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 10, 2022.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Because "I'm not going to abandon the things that made me what I am because of a future that contains an ending I hadn't foreseen for myself." was a little too long to fit into a thread title ;).

Teaser trailer!

If this is streaming overseas or up north on anything besides P+, let me know and I'll add the info to the thread title.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
    Jedi Ben, K2771991, TX-20 and 4 others like this.
  2. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Can't wait for it!

TX-20 likes this.
  3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yet again, pop culture is telling that I’m not allowed to die for at leas the next five years. :p

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

Jedi Ben, BigAl6ft6, mnjedi and 4 others like this.
  5. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    @The2ndQuest, like pretty much all Trek in Canada it'll be on the teevee on CTV SciFi and streaming on Crave.

Juliet316, BigAl6ft6 and TX-20 like this.
  6. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Anson Mount is a ridiculously good looking man.

7. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Well, he's pretty good as far as humanoids go. :p

TX-20 likes this.
  8. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Never give up, never surrender! is the perfect motto for the quest to find a working Trek formula. Someday it may actually happen again.

scienfictionfan and Sarge like this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So Pike grew a beard, he's been traumatized by stuff! Probably the time crystals vision of his accident and maybe letting Discovery go.

K2771991 and TX-20 like this.
  10. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I'd like to have hope this will be good

Unfortunately new era Trek mostly has not been (apart from Lower Decks), so if this is still being written and produced by the same people I'm sceptical it will work.
    Good cast though, can't fault that

Sarge likes this.
  11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Well Discovery tried lots of crying and Picard tried moral nihilism. What else is there?

12. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    A new R-rated animated series about Federation attrocities in the Klingon wars? Sort of a Love Death Robots done in the style of the original animated Trek.

13. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Are Klingons even allowed anymore?

We've seen nothing of them since whatever those things were early in Discovery.
    None in Picard

Are they going to look equally terrible in this show if they appear?

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I didn't like the reboot movies and haven't seen any Trek TV since Enterprise; the ads I saw just haven't interested me. But I may make the effort to see this one. Anybody know if they're making it so it's accessible to people like me who haven't watched Disco or any other recent shows?

K2771991 likes this.
  15. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    ...because he still has Q powers? Right? :)

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    He just wants to be like Spock.

Re: Picard
    We actually got a Klingon skull in PIC this week but difficult to extrapolate what the living design would be.

The angle they've been pushing is that this series will be more episodic, with character arcs across the season vs a season-long plot like DIS and PIC have been doing. They haven't specifically touched on connections to other shows but I would assume that, while they'll make reference to the events that happened in DIS S1 in regards to the Enterprise crew, that they won't be directly continuing them in a way that would isolate new viewers (that would contradict the appeal of the episodic adventures angle as well as tossing away the benefit of launching a separate show in general).

17. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    I'm actually excited to see the new cast, especially the Khan descendent and young Uhura and M'Banga, but am I the only one who wished they were using more characters from The Cage/The Menagerie? I really want to see what the rest of the crew from that episode would have been like and what their dynamic was.

Especially Boyce. I really liked what litte we saw of his dynamic with Pike.

There were Klingons on Lower Decks (both TMP/TNG style and Disco-style)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was supposed to be...

Martok's

...skull, was'nt it? If so one can presume that the living design would look like, you know...

Martok

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    FatBurt and The2ndQuest like this.
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, theoretically, they could have updated his design to be a DIS-style version of Martok the same way the TOS Klingon characters were updated to the TMP/TNG-style for their DS9 appearances.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    K2771991 likes this.
  19. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    I suppose they could have, but why? Lower Decks had old-style Klingons existing *alongside* Disco-style ones, so IMO the inferrence seems to be that we're supposed to take the new version of them as not being a, say, Trill-style retcon but rather a "southern vs northern Romulan" situation.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I agree that's the way they're probably going with it. But, given that that is almost certainly not what was originally intended with the DIS-Klingon redesign, it's technically a situation where they could revamp all of the Klingons despite LD's mix. We've seen changes to the Ferengi design, for instance, on recent DIS (albeit far future Ferengi), so the same approach could still be applied to Klingons in PIC. I actually wouldn't be surprised if we saw a generally familiar Martok look with some new details that merge in DIS Klingon traits, for instance.

K2771991 likes this.
  21. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Why did they change the design for Discovery in the first place?
    It doesn't really fit with the established look of Klingons at that time.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Just part of the general visual reboot that Fuller was pushing for when he was still series showrunner/creator and something they couldn't course correct on until Season 2 after they could move past his influence.

K2771991 likes this.
  23. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    I dunno. Why did they change the design for TMP?

Honestly, it's not something that personally bugs me all that much; aliens (including the Klingons) have undergone pretty jarring re-designs before in ST, and once the new style was refined come S2 I honestly don't think they ended up looking *that* different.

True, but I feel like the Ferengi was less of a re-design and more of a "our makeup is better now" (it came off as less the difference between TNG and Disco Klingons and more the difference between, say, Shaak Ti in the Prequals vs Ashoka in The Mandalorian/BoBF). Ultimatly, though, we'll have to wait until a previusly-established Klingon character shows up on a new show "in the flesh" to see what design they'll go with for them.

That being said, speaking of Ferengi (and feel free to answer this part in the Picard thread)...

Picard had a Ferengi skull on display alongside those of Sarek, Dukat and Martok.
    [​IMG]
    Zek, maybe? Quark?

Riker, upon finding out Picard got the only Golem body in existence and thus he will not, in fact, be able to live forever...
    [​IMG]

24. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I plan to watch it.

Though I hope this show shakes the visual disease that is JJ's Star Trek cinematography.

Sarge likes this.
  25. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Personally I look forward to a triumphant return to 1960s sets, the ship being model held up by string and crazily shaking the camara around while people throw themselves across the room during battle sequences!

BigAl6ft6, TX-20, Mar17swgirl and 2 others like this.