main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Did it matter at all?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by antitoxicgamer, Sep 10, 2020.

1. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    And then he put in "Maclunkey" as a trolling reminder of where the better original version of the scene came from the first place.

"When you gotta shoot, shoot, don't talk!" - Tuco Ramirez, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
  2. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Lucas changed one of the most iconic scenes in SW, and then lied about his reasons for it. He obviously had a change of heart for whatever reason...but even if it was for a worthwhile reason, the scene looks terrible no matter how many times he goes back to "fix" it.

3. HanSolo98

HanSolo98 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2022
    Han shot first. It matters because Han's rashness and selfishness is seen. The ending of ANH is better as a character arc for Han going from selfish mercenary to loyal friend of Luke. Showing Han's attitude of selfish mercenary in every way is great no matter what.

4. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Not to mention that Lucas rationale behind this change makes no sense.
    In Lucas own words, Han Solo was John Wayne, and as such, he must never, ever shoot first. He should always let the other guy have the first shot.
    And in the situation that Han was in, letting Greedo shoot first is not noble, it is suicidally stupid.
    Plus Han shoots first a lot of other times in the film. So there is no consistency.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

5. TFWBWYA

TFWBWYA Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 21, 2022
    I don't know what the big deal is who shot first. It's ridiculous the fuss that has been made over it. And your no.5 is correct. Had no effect on his character.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  6. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    People do overhate the change. But I still think it matters because it was something pretty ridiculous to change. The effect of Han dodging looks awful. And the edit just kept changing with each new Special Edition. That's what's really ridiculous
    You have the original version, the 1997 version, 2004 version, 2011 version, and even a 2019 version (Maclunkey)
    Of the special edition versions, the 2004 version of this scene is probably the best because Han and Greedo shoot at almost the same time.
    The original is the best. It was very clear Greedo intended to kill Han, and Han shot him before that could happen.

7. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Indeed...
    [​IMG]

Apparently, it was a big deal to Lucas, as it did affect his character.

8. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Good point. Back when he made the first film Luke and Leia were probably going to get together, and not be related. So maybe he felt he ought to clean Han up a bit in retrospect.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
  9. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Yes, but people can change. Hell, Han changed from the beginning (middle?) of ANH to the end, right?

Still, she's got a lot of spirit. I
    don't know, what do you think? Do
    you think a princess and a guy like
    me...

LEIA (laughing)
    Hey, I knew there was more to you
    than money.

And he's certainly not the same Han in ROTJ. He's gone from a small-time smuggler who only cares about himself to a general of alliance forces saving the galaxy. All of this still worked with the original scene (which neither Leia nor Luke even witnessed, btw). Even Luke and Vader changed throughout the films (Leia, not so much, lol...but she was always the strong, moral compass.)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
    Tosche_Station, Sarge and BlackRanger like this.
  10. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    Plus, Han Solo was always a bit more like Clint Eastwood than John Wayne. John Wayne's cowboy characters were typically lawmen, or law following/upholding men. Han was always an outlaw with a heart of gold.

11. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    It never mattered to me. I hated the ROTJ changes at the time (not anymore), and I thought the CG Jabba model was pretty bad (not anymore), but Han/Greedo was one change I didn’t even notice, and when I learned years later that people were upset about it I was just bemused.

12. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Personally I hate the way Lucas tried to reinvent Han. Why make him into a saint when he is clearly a smuggler and pirate, and couldn't care less if he killed someone who threatens him. The original Han wouldn't have lost a minute of sleep over that. Is it that important to me? Nope.... it's only a movie. Still I find it slightly annoying.
    By the way, Lucas isn't the only one guilty of such changes. Didn't Spielberg change the finale of E.T.? Originally the police or whatever they were had guns and WERE ready to use them. Was it really necessary to retcon that and turn guns into radios? No way.

Sarge likes this.
  13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Spielberg has gone on record saying he regretted making those changes.

14. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Oh.... I wasn't aware of that. In that case, why not simply undo them for future editions?:confused:

FightoftheForgotten likes this.
  15. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    That's exactly what he did.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  16. Moriarte

Moriarte Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    I think it matters as Han shooting second undermines the character being a scoundrel but also a street smart survivor. Greedo certainly wanted to kill him. With that intent made clear, Han shooting first, anyone shooting first, was self-defense and just practical.
    So in a tough universe, especially in the scum-and-villainy places, it's best to have your wits about you and it makes for a cool, resourceful character.

canuckmuse, Sith Lord 2015 and Sarge like this.