main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jason Fry Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 4, 2012.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Try to say that 3 times fast. :p

2. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Death first!

Sarge likes this.
  3. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    @jasonfry just re-read Rendezvous Point and for my own curiosity I have questions.

1) Were "The Contessa", Aron Polstak, Keyser Salm, Sila Kott, Bela Elar, Grizz Frix, Ix Ixstra and Tomer Darpen assigned to Echo Base at the time of the Battle of Hoth? And what would've been their probable assignments?
    2) Were Cinda Tarheel and Barlon Hightower still tail-gunners during the Battle of Hoth to Rogues Seven and Nine respectively as in Legends?
    3) Was Bela Elar Red Four and Grizz Frix Red Five respectively during the attack on the pirates?
    3) Will we get to see Keyser Salm, Bela Elar, Tomer Darpen and Cinda Tarheel again at the Battle of Endor? (I already headcanon that Keyser Salm is the unnamed Y-wing pilot and that Cinda was there, flying as Gold Six in Gold Squadron and gets killed when the Liberty blew up along with two other X-wings).

darthosaka likes this.
  4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm curious about the whole "Mas Amedda knows Palpatine is Sith" thing, which is slightly more explicit in the novel than in the episode, though arguably the episode does strongly hint at this.

Since apparently (at least around the time of Season Three's Pursuit of Peace, Lucas did not intend it that way:

I'm wondering when that was changed - and who by - Filoni, or Lucas? Was it firmly established when you were writing Shadow Conspiracy, that Mas was "in the know" about Palpatine being Sith?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
    QuinlanSolo and darthosaka like this.
  5. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    1) Outside the story's purview, so can't say. The story establishes that Ix was there, at least.
    2) Can't say, but see 3a.
    3) Sound conclusion based on Grizz's callsign in ROTJ.
    3a) Well, Keyser was created to fit existing headcanon ideas from ROTJ. If Battles That Changed the Galaxy had included the pilot roster originally envisioned, this would be a different conversation. (No, I can't/won't share that pilot roster, sorry. [face_not_talking])

6. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Too long ago to remember the particulars, but I remember being surprised by that too, and doing the best I could during the writing. As I said in the original post, nowadays there'd be a lot less guesswork for an adaptation author. Though minds still do change and so things still get overwritten now and again -- which drives some folks batty but has never particularly bothered me. It has always been thus. [shrugs]

QuinlanSolo, Iron_lord and darthosaka like this.
  7. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Guess I'll be waiting for someone to pick up on it. Pity all the attention is elsewhere right now. Maybe that'll change soon. I know what I want to see. More on Hoth and Endor.

QuinlanSolo likes this.
  8. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    So, can we expect you to do a sequel story in ROTJ ACPOV? Or will it be a story for the (long neglected) Arvel Crynyd, instead, maybe?;)

darthosaka likes this.
  9. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Be difficult not to finish the Wedge Mini-Trilogy, though I admit I have a different story in mind.

And none of this matters without an invitation from LFL/Del Rey.

10. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    Well, I'd say you're likely a shoe in anyway - so looking forward to seeing what you have lined up.:cool:

Noash_Retrac likes this.
  11. The Empire_59

The Empire_59 Jedi Padawan

Apr 1, 2022
    Hello @jasonfry. Since you writed the Imperial Remnants in Battles that Changed the Galaxy, I have a few questions.
    1) When you wrote about the Imperial Remnant in the Core, Colonies and Inner Rim, have you been inspired by the novel Lost Stars, where it said there are Imperial vessels who are confined in these regions after the GCW ?
    2) Is this Imperial Remnant has an official leader ?
    3) What happened to the ships of the fleet of this Remnant after its disintegration ?

12. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    1) That was the reference, yes. LS was the one source to indicate there's physical territory belonging to the Imperials. Obviously a key building block of the narrative.
    2) Outside my purview.
    3) Outside my purview, though my bet would be that some portion of them made their way to the successor states in the Outer Rim and from there to the First Order, with the Centrists playing a role in the transfer. There's a good tale to be told about decommissioned ships never showing up at the scrapyard despite treaties dictating that they do so. A New Republic investigator on Bracca, a scrapper with a conscience and an interesting past, and off we go....

13. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
  14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Thanks Jason - I've posted your link in our Celebration Appearances and Signings thread.

jasonfry likes this.
  15. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    Hey @jasonfry! I've been poring over the wonderful new galaxy map poster from today (I was the guy who mentioned this thread lol), and I've got into a discussion with one of my friends who's a big Lasat fan about the placement of Lasan and Lira San and their proximity. I was wondering if you had any insight as to their placement?

You all gave a wonderful panel today, my favorite of the day by far!

Sinrebirth likes this.
  16. beskarmando8

beskarmando8 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2022
    What about Star Wars Timelines: is it safe? Is it alright?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    darthosaka likes this.
  17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Is it out?

EDIT:

Bah. November.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
  18. Kadar Ordo

Kadar Ordo Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 9, 2021
    According to folks at the Wook, Jason Fry is working on a new versions of the Essential Atlas Online Companion. Seems like the focus will be on planets from The Old Republic as well as any other Legends planets that slipped under the radar; don't think it will cover Canon planets.

No word on when it will release (just not in the "near-future") but it's good to know it's being worked on. Can't wait!

19. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    One of the things I always enjoyed from the essential guides is the artwork. Especially by Chris Trevas.

So I'm curious did he ever do any art that was never officially published? If so, could these artistic depictions be found or asked for?

Aside from that-how was the process of art inclusion handled-obviously it needed to relate to the subject, but what factors were considered when either creating a piece or including it? This isn't just for Warfare, but the guides as a whole?

darthosaka, jasonfry and MercenaryAce like this.
  20. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    For lore books like these the author's not particularly involved with art -- that's a production effort involving people who know the nuts and bolts from commissions to design a lot better than some dopey writer. I recall offering my suggestions for art, but they were just suggestions. At least at Del Rey art is also a pretty efficient process, so I doubt there'd be much if any art rejected or set aside.

I definitely agree that Chris Trevas is awesome. My Trevas avatar/portrait as hyperspace scout (over there to the left) makes me so happy.

21. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Jason, another question for you.

If SW Legends was still ongoing, what subject in particular would you have wanted to do an essential guide on? It can be either an update to something already done(the chronology for example) or something new, if so what?

darthosaka likes this.
  22. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    To be honest, by the time Legends ended I really wanted to focus on fiction instead of more lore -- you can see that in Warfare with its multiple little vignettes.

One thing that always intrigued me was something Dan and I explored while figuring out The Essential Atlas -- the idea of a spacefarer's guide to the galaxy. Not just geography but how it all works -- the institutions, practices, etc. If you're flying a legal freighter between Alderaan and Sullust this is what you'd do before leaving, during the journey, this is who you'd interact with, these are the potential dangers, etc. Some of the WEG books did pieces of that but I always thought it could be brought together into something bigger/new.

Hey, it's a book that would work equally well today, so never say never.

23. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Speaking of warfare and the vignettes - well, based on the little speech alone, I definitely would have bought a book by you about the Waymancy Storm.

24. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    That was written, at my request, by Dan Wallace!

Sinrebirth and darthosaka like this.
  25. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Oh, cool. Hats off to Dan Wallace then.

jasonfry and darthosaka like this.