main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge The Kessel Run | 12 Weeks, 11 Writing Prompts, 1 Wild Fanfic Challenge | Thanks for a great Run!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by ViariSkywalker, Jan 1, 2022.

Tags:
  1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
  2. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    For this last prompt week I decided to use the "get out of jail free" letter prompt, as I had an idea in mind for that one already:

In the Name of the Mists

As the title suggests, it's in the Gand side of my universe, and it was rather fun to return to my fanfic roots, sort of!

3. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    My entry will be up tomorrow.

4. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
  5. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
    amidalachick and ViariSkywalker like this.
  6. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Omigosh, @amidalachick, I meant to respond to this the other day! Thank you so much for participating! I'm thrilled that you made it through all ten of the secret prompts and that it helped you write more than you have in a while. That's exactly what I was hoping would happen when I came up with this challenge! ;) Whether you're able to write the long vignette or not, I'm so happy you were a part of the Kessel Run, and I thank you for your kind words! [:D]

QFT! =D=

I'll be back tomorrow with reminders for the remaining vignette and some general Week 11 & 12 housekeeping! ;)

7. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    * * Week 11 * *

There are no new prompts this week, but we're not quite through with the Kessel Run yet! Just a few reminders:
    • Your Week 10 fics are due tonight at 11:59pm EST
    • If you took a bye week at any point during the Kessel Run, those stories are due one week from today, Monday, March 28 at 11:59pm EST
    • Your final long vignettes (2,000-8,000 words) are due Monday, April 4 at 11:59pm EST, so you have two weeks to finish those! You will post these vignettes during Week 12.

Once again, here are the requirements for the long vignette:

Long vignette (2,000-8,000 words)
    • Write a longer vignette/one-shot between 2,000 and 8,000 words using the "5+1 Times/Things" format. This is typically a series of scenes or shorter vignettes connected by an overarching theme. The first five sections will usually have the same "thing" in common, while the last section is an inversion of the previous sections. This format works for all genres - drama, humor, fluff, angst, romance... you name it!
    • Click here for further details
    • Word limit = 2,000-8,000 words
    • Entries due Monday, April 4th at 11:59pm EST

Good luck and happy writing, everyone! Let's finish strong! [:D]

~~

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
  8. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
  9. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    I have a couple days off so I asked my brother for some angsty Metallica songs and sat down to finish a full draft of the 5+1 fic before RL strikes again. And now I feel like Fry in the '100 cups of coffee' episode, so I decided to share a gif in hopes someone else might find it relatable and/or funny. :p

[​IMG]

Also, I'd just like to once again express my appreciation and respect for all the longfic writers out there. Good luck and happy writing to everyone! :)[:D]

10. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
  11. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    My 5+1 final entry is up as well. Many thanks to @ViariSkywalker for putting together such a fun and unique challenge!

12. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Hey everyone! I have a little pre-Week 12 update that involves a slight rule change for the final prompt. Don't panic, it's nothing major. :p

* * UPDATE: Long Vignette * *

• I've decided to waive the maximum word limit for the final vignette! Your 5+1 stories still need to be at least 2,000 words, but there is now no maximum word count. As long as you write a one-shot and that one-shot is completed and posted by April 4th, you're good! That's it, that's the update! Good luck, and happy writing! ;)

~~

13. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Week 12 is here and this is the final story Water

14. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Well, here we are at last - the final week of the Kessel Run! [face_dancing] It's been fantastic seeing the enthusiasm you guys have shown week after week, rising to meet each new challenge along the way. If you still need to post your make-up entries from your bye week, you have until tonight at 11:59pm EST to do so. Otherwise, I have only one other reminder...

* * Week 12 * *
    It's time to post your 5+1 vignettes! These are the long vignettes (2,000+ words) that you've been working on for the last eleven weeks. (Or, if you're like me, this is the vig you've spent the last eleven weeks avoiding. :p) You still have one week to finish these fics up and get them posted, so if you haven't gotten as far as you'd like, don't panic, and don't give up! [:D] With that said, here are the relevant details again:

• Your vignette/one-shot must be at least 2,000 words (the maximum word limit has been waived, so you can write as many words over 2,000 as you want ;))
    • You must follow a general 5+1 format (this is typically a series of scenes or shorter vignettes connected by an overarching theme where the first five sections have the same "thing" in common, while the last section is an inversion of the previous sections)
    • Entries are due Monday, April 4th at 11:59pm EST

And that's it! As always, if you have any questions, feel free to ask here or shoot me a PM. It's been an amazing ride, and I can't wait to see what you all come up with for your final Kessel Run entries! [face_batting]

~~

15. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    And my 5+1 is up: Transformation

Many thanks to @ViariSkywalker for being crazy ambitious enough to host such a challenge! Look at all these stories that wouldn't otherwise exist, babe :cool: [:D]

16. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    I DID IT!! :D

[​IMG]

I didn't think I was going to, but I finished my 5+1 fic! :D

Thank you to all the participants who have written and read stories and shared support and encouragement throughout this challenge. Congratulations to everyone! :)[:D]

And a huge thank you, again, to @ViariSkywalker for creating and hosting this! [:D]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
  17. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
  18. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Congratulations on finishing your final vignette! =D=

You're very welcome! I had fun coming up with prompts, and I'm just glad so many people were able to write for them! And congrats on finishing your vignette! :D

Congrats on finishing the challenge! =D=

Lol, let's go with ambitious. ;) (Okay, fine, maybe a little crazy, too. 8-} I don't think I've been this active on the boards since 2003 [face_hypnotized] :p) And you already know how thrilled I am to see all the stories you fine authors created for this challenge. [face_love] [:D]

I grinned such a ridiculously big grin when you posted this! That's so awesome! [face_dancing] And thank you for participating! [:D]

Congrats on finishing your final entry! :D

We still have a bit more than two days until the final entries are due, so for everyone else who is still chipping away at those long vignettes, keep going!! You're so close to the finish line! [:D]

See you all on the other side. [face_batting]

~~

19. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I'm pleased to present the eleventh and final story in "Rose's Eleven," which doubles as an entry in the Douglas Adams Quote Challenge:

The Rose between the Worlds

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
  20. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Awesome, congratulations on finishing the final challenge! :D

Today is the last day to post your vignettes! These are due tonight at 11:59pm EST! You guys have done some amazing work over the last twelve weeks, and the Kessel Run is nearly over... let's finish this thing! ;)

~~

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
  21. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
  22. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Congrats on finishing your last vignette! :D

I also managed to finish my story for Week 12: "Five Partings and One Reunion" :p

(There are still three hours left to write your heart out and get your stories in! [face_batting])

And that's it! Entries for the Kessel Run are closed, and I'll be back to wrap everything up properly tomorrow! In the meantime, well done to everyone who participated! =D= [face_party]

~~

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
  23. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Congratulations!

[​IMG]

We did it, guys! We reached the end of the Kessel Run! [face_dancing] [face_party]

First of all, whether you completed the entire challenge or part of it, you guys all did an amazing job and were so inspiring to witness these last twelve weeks! The point of the Kessel Run was to inspire creativity and go a bit beyond our comfort zones and get people writing regularly even in the chaos of everyday life... and maybe even have a little fun along the way. ;) No matter where you finished, you all stepped up, and that's worth celebrating! [:D]

Now! Let's give a giant round of applause to our official Kessel Run finishers! These nine authors completed all ten of the weekly secret prompts and the longer final vignette before their respective deadlines, and will receive a week of colors as a result! =D= [face_party]

And then let's give an equally giant round of applause to the rest of our Kessel Run participants! =D= :D

Finished all 10 weekly secret prompts:

Finished 1-9 of the weekly secret prompts:

It's been an incredible twelve weeks, and I'm going to miss posting prompts every Monday! I would love to do this again next year, if you guys are up for that. [face_batting] In the interest of making any (potential) future Kessel Run challenges even better, I would also love to hear feedback from you on any part of this challenge: format, prompts, word limits, time limits, you name it. You can post your comments in this thread or PM me with them. :)

Thanks again for making the Kessel Run such a fun experience! [:D]

-Vi

[​IMG]

24. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Well done to all who took part and many thanks to @ViariSkywalker for hosting this wonderfully intense and stimulating challenge! =D=

[​IMG]

25. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Congrats to all who participated and thanks to @ViariSkywalker for being such a good host for a very inspiring challenge