main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Least favorite Star Wars film and Why (Revised)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DBPirate, May 10, 2020.

?

Which Star Wars film is your least favorite?

1. Episode I: The Phantom Menace

19 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. Episode II: Attack of the Clones

43 vote(s)
    16.2%
  3. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

6 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. Episode IV: A New Hope

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  5. Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

4 vote(s)
    1.5%
  6. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

3 vote(s)
    1.1%
  7. Episode VII: The Force Awakens

42 vote(s)
    15.8%
  8. Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

62 vote(s)
    23.3%
  9. Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

86 vote(s)
    32.3%
  1. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    I kind of put TPM in the same category as ROTJ. It had a few amazing scenes but was plagued with a bunch of silliness.

The Darth Maul duel and ROTJ throne room scenes are two of the best scenes in Star Wars history. But the same movies also had fart jokes, Jar Jar, bad acting, cute Ewoks beating Stormtroopers with rocks, the Jabba muppet show, etc...

Both TPM and ROTJ could have been absolutely epic but Lucas ruined them somewhat trying to sell toys and sell out to little kids.

Regarding your Anakin quote. I think the worst Anakin is the Episode 1 Anakin followed by Episode 2 Anakin. Both were pretty awful. Episode 3 was the best Anakin but still not the Anakin we wanted to see.

2. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Also voted for TROS without having watched it fully. Because it's that bad.

3. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Who's we? I wanted to see Anakin as portrayed in Episodes I, II, III. Well, actually I didn't, because I wasn't old enough to form an opinion back then. But if I had been, I would have wanted him like that... you know what I mean.

Worst episode, for me, also goes to TROS. It's the only Star Wars film that has hardly any redeeming qualities for me. TFA, at least, is an entertaining movie as long as you firmly pretend it's not a Star Wars movie and TLJ, at least, pretends to show some ambition. TROS still leaves me puzzled. It's almost absurd to consider how a machine as well-oiled as Disney allowed a movie like that to be released and probably had a big part in how it turned out.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  4. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    It’s when Disney/Lucasfilm divorced itself from George Lucas. At the end of a 40 year nine episode endeavor not one at either of these major studios had the forethought that maybe, just maybe it wasn’t a great idea to alienate the creator and wellspring of this unique endeavor called STAR WARS. That itself tells you everything you need to know about those in charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wobbits and Mystery Roach like this.
  5. PadmeFan4Life

PadmeFan4Life Jedi Padawan

May 21, 2021
    "not the Anakin we wanted to see!"?!?! No not the Anakin you wanted to see! Speak for YOURSELF and not others. That is not the Anakin YOU wanted to see!

6. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    Finish it for god's sake!!!

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I cant take anyone serious if they havent watched the movies they dislike so mutch. I watch my most disliked Star Wars movie yearly, hint it is ATOC.

8. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
  9. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    No. I disliked both TFA and TLJ after watching them, TLJ especially, so I've no reason to give the Disney the benefit of the doubt when it comes to these Skywalker sequels.

Also, I know what happens in TROS. I've seen plenty of the scenes and I know how things play out. I think knowing this much is is enough to form an opinion, especially for someone like me who cares more about story and characters than stuff like action scenes, visuals, and actor performances. If you ''can't take that seriously", oh well. It's my viewing experience, and my time.

wobbits and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  10. mtt02263

mtt02263 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 29, 2020
    I actually think TROS is underrated at this point. It's an absolute horrendous end to the Skywalker Saga, but as a What If? style film, it's actually a fun adventure. It's dumb and not particularly thought provoking, but it at least feels like a space adventure and it tries to have fun. TLJ is just as poorly written IMO and it's also incredibly dour and just boring. If anything, TROS is what it is because of how hard it would be to follow-up TLJ.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  11. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    Clones always, looked awful then and worse now, yet some amazing shots. Kudos to George for championing new technology but it just wasn't ready at the time. Does tho honour b movie sci fi but would be even better with stop motion or today's tech

12. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Despite some mediocre CG elements, I thought Clones was a visually gorgeous film until they changed the color grading. I don’t have 4K but I’m planning to get that one soon to see if it’s any better on the included BD.

13. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    That will probably only happen if they manage to make a trilogy even worse that the ST. [face_laugh]

14. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Not even that, when tv shows and movies connected with ST and children who watched the trilogy grow up.;)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
  15. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    Yeah, because time makes anything into a beloved classic. Just ask the countless Holiday Special fans.

16. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Oh, they will. They will.

17. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    =D=[face_laugh]

18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    IT is a classic now ;).

And the ST is well made movies and have maby fans behind it now like the PT trilogy. Fans still vrang up The Last Jedi after 5 years, no one will forget it.

19. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    Being remembered and talked about isn't the same as being liked. And five years isn't standing the test of time.

None of us know if the ST will be received more positively in the future. Some people might want to act like they know it will, but they don't. Not all things age well, and I for one hope more people see just how bad these films are.

wobbits and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  20. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Exactly. I must have watched TFA in the theater early 2014, that's over 8 years ago already. I haven't watched it since, and have no interest in doing so. So at least for myself, I can be 100% sure that I wouldn't like it any more than I did back then. I have zero fond memories let alone nostalgia for it. TPM on the other hand grew on me after about a year, and I didn't like it when I first watched it. AOTC and ROTS I liked instantly. But since I have after 8 years not found any redeeming qualities in TFA, it's safe to say my opinion on it, or the other ST movies, will not change.

21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Thats your opinion, but I have seen bad movies being remembered to be good og ok to the fans. Like the Prequels, they are not well made movies but fans love them. I have seen it all before.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
    Mostly Handless and Darth__Lobot like this.
  22. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    Whose opinion? Please use quotes or state who you are addressing. Yes, it is my opinion, and I thought that was clear. I wasn't speaking for anyone but myself. And I personally dislike the sequels, no matter what other fans say. I don't think I'll ever like them. If others do, well, good for them. :p

23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Oh yeah sorry i meant both of you, I enjoy and like both Prequels and Sequels, yes. I think they will both be remembered fondly.

darthfettus2015 likes this.
  24. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Folks, can we get back to the topic of the thread and stop quibbling with one another.

HanSolo98 likes this.
  25. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    OK, fair enough. As I said, good for them if they like something. I was really only speaking for myself. As for the objective "quality" of a movie, well, that again is highly subjective. When is a movie "objectively" good or bad? I'm sure there is such a thing, if you analyze from a purely "technical" or whatever point of view. But as the average viewer, it all comes down to how you emotionally receive a movie. So what would you call an objectively bad movie? Just curious. I know there are some really bad ones, just don't consider the prequels to be among them.
    As with the prequels, I went into the movie theater for TFA without any bias, and practically zero previous knowledge. I admit there was a certain hype before TPM, some of which naturally caught my attention as a SW fan. That was before the internet for me though. And as I said I was disappointed THEN, so I had even less interest in sequels (meaning episodes II and III). I even had an AOTC bootleg DVD months before official release which I didn't even bother to watch. When I did see it I was pleasantly surprised however, as with ROTS. That immediate positive gut reaction to both these movies never changed. I'm not analyzing or anything. They simply worked for me, unlike the sequels.
    Now I did the same with TFA, didn't read much and had practically no knowledge about it, just went to the theater and watched it. This time I was seriously disappointed, only that disappointment never went away as it did with TPM. I only watched the sequels VIII and IX online, wasn't really interested, didn't expect much and that's just what I got out of them: nothing.
    Are the sequels objectively worse than the prequels? I'm not sure but personally think so.