main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I mean the Allegiance follows the philosophy of the Tector, no? It's a single-focus warship. It doesn't strike me as particularly smart in general.

2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I think it's smart... [face_plain]

When you've got a dozen Yuuzhan Vong cruisers bearing down on you, you're going to wish you had more armor, more shields, more turbolasers, and fewer AT-AT docking bays.

JABoomer, Iron_lord and Sinrebirth like this.
  3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I guess the track record of the Tector-class doesn't really sell that, nor the Allegiance-class, but the Jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none philosophy of the VSD-ISD line really isn't much better.

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    My headcanon is that the Tector-class fell out of favour following the debacle at the Battle of Salvara. We know from context that Admiral Kreuge, who was commanding some of the earliest Tectors, turned away rather than adjusting his strategy to continue his offensive. I imagine that he was a conventional, by-the-books, Republic-era officer who vastly underestimated the sheer firepower and armour at his disposal. In the aftermath, the single-purpose Tector-class was de-emphasised in favour of the multi-role Imperator-class, which offered the fighter complement and protection that Republic traditionalists were more comfortable with.

Now that I think about it, the Allegiance-class could represent the reappraisal of the Tector-class and its design philosophy by Imperial strategists who were better able to appreciate its merits.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
    Sinrebirth and Iron_lord like this.
  5. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I headcanon that only four Tector's were actually constructed. Tector, Gibbon, Archer, Harbinger.

Similarly I headcanon that the Pride of Tarlandia, Ithmar's Fist, Luminous, Stellar Halo, Event Horizon, Allegiance, possibly Gauntlet (if the Byss defenders were named for a ship) were all ASSDs.

blackmyron likes this.
  6. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I have no idea what you are talking about. But the fact you could list so many ships by specific class impresses me.

Most impressive.

^:)^

Nom von Anor likes this.
  7. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Love the Vader!

I mean all those ships are in Canon or Legends. The ASSDs are by and large unclassified by the Guide to Warfare so may as well.

And yes I ascribe to the ludicrous theory that the Megador is the first of what becomes known as the Mega-class Super Star Destroyer. I.e. the Supremacy from The Last Jedi.

Jedi Ben and Vialco like this.
  8. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    While this is only marginally related to one of our favorite Capital ships, it's always nice to have another Tector reference. The Tector Shake is one of Yoda's better moves in Soul Calibur IV. I happened to be replaying it and was pleasantly surprised to see the reference, even in a game from 2008. Continuity wise, even if it does count, I still have no idea what exactly a "Tector" is in-Universe. Nothing rules out Yoda actually being aboard one of the Republics Tector vessels at some point during the Clone Wars.

[​IMG]

MercenaryAce likes this.
  9. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    That is rather cool.

I am looking at the Maxima and it's 18 squadrons of TIEs and frowning.

Anyone else?

It's a 'heavy cruiser' but in that context it must be at least as big as a Venator and it's a 'heavy cruiser' besides the Resurgent-class Star Destroyer, which is not an SSD and yet 3km.

So.

One wonders.

SheaHublin likes this.
  10. Darth Zack

Darth Zack Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Well... maybe it's not actually a heavy cruiser according to Anaxes. It could be that it is a heavy cruiser because it is one step down in power from battlecruisers like the Resurgent.

11. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    That’s my view.

I also don’t rhyme that the FO was all that numerically immense.

12. Grevious_Coward

Grevious_Coward Jedi Knight star 1

May 30, 2020
    The 18 squadron figure seems to be based on the Battle of Grail City, where a large swarm of Tie Fighters are seen around a Maxima-A (haven't read the comics, so I'm only working of wookieepedia and google images).
    Whether it can fit that many fighters ultimately depends on its size. My personal opinion is that it's somewhere between 600-800 metres long (it kinda looks like a first order Gladiator). Theoretically 18 squadrons of First Order Ties can fit in a hangar that is 96m wide and 144m long. This would easily fit within a 600m-800m ship and would be entirely feasible if they are stored in ceiling racks.

As for it's class, I'm pretty sure I've mentioned before, but I tend to think that ship classes are more defined by a ships role, in a faction or fleet, than its size.

13. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    I was just looking at purchasing Battles that Changed the Galaxy, and I saw this preview picture:

[​IMG]

Are the two mid-size Star Destroyers depicted identified (Tectors) or is it glossed over?

Anyone read the book? Is it worth getting, or is it repackaged Wookieepedia articles?

SheaHublin, Sinrebirth and Snafu55 like this.
  14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The two red ones on the diagram are Interdictors. They are not to scale, being smaller than ISDs in SW-Rebels.

SheaHublin, JABoomer and Snafu55 like this.
  15. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I would have preferred them to be the battlecruisers myself!

@JABoomer, I loved it. There is new snippets and a few retcons.

The Exegol article could have been better, but it was very good generally.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    JABoomer likes this.
  16. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    So the one biggest overlooked aspect of Endor from the EU, the Interdictors that only the Truce at Bakura Sourcebook mentioned and which all the other EU stories forgot about, is featured prominently in this latest DisneyCanon book? Wow!

JABoomer and Iron_lord like this.
  17. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    "We saw it. All craft prepare to retreat"
    I guess Lando cut the Admiral off before he could say, "Concentrate all fire on .. those interdictors".

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
    SheaHublin, Tuskin38 and Iron_lord like this.
  18. Grevious_Coward

Grevious_Coward Jedi Knight star 1

May 30, 2020
    I've been thinking a bit about the Tector recently (thanks to some of the previous comments), and thought I would share some of my thoughts (going to be slightly long).

One of the things I've been thinking about is its role. We don't know to much about the class, but from what we do know the ship appears to be designed as a bit of a tank (adding extra protection and reducing obvious weakpoints). My theory is it was designed around being the spearhead of a fleet (likely consisting of Venator, or similar carrier ships).
    Because of it greater size and firepower (a single Tector is probably equivalent to multiple Venators in firepower and durability), the Tector is a major threat in ship to ship combat, making it a priority target in fleet battles. It's single role design means it can concentrate on engaging and destroying larger enemies ships (Lucrehulks, Providences, etc), freeing the Venators to concentrate on providing fighter defence for the fleet, while also allowing them more freedom in engaging targets of opportunity (smaller ships like Munificents), or providing direct fire support for the Tector.

The downside of the Tector's single role nature is that it can only fill a limited number of roles without a fleet, and is unable to properly defend itself against smaller ships like fighters (the ships design does technically make it harder for fighters to assault as it has less weakpoints, but that doesn't matter if it can't defend itself against them). This makes it less useful than more multi-role designs like ISDs and Venators, which would explain its rarity - This is especially true during the Empires reign where a single ship may be expected to carry out a number of roles by itself during its deployment;

I've also been thinking about it's physical design.

We know from ROTJ that it has no visible reactor bulb; this would indicate that the main reactor is smaller than a ISD, and possibly buried further within ship. To compensate for this potentially less powerful reactor, it would make sense that extra secondary reactors would be placed within the ship, and with the removal of the main hangar facilities there is plenty of space for them - Another solution is that the ship has a more cylinderical reactor that spans a greater length of the ship, but isn't as tall.
    Whether the addition of these extra reactors gives it more power than an ISD is up to debate, but it would fit its role better if it did, as it would have more power available for shields and weapons.
    I will note that Fractalsponge got around the reduced space for the main reactor by moving it into an expanded superstructure (not sure if his main reactor is the same size or bigger than an ISD's), so his Tector does have a greater total reactor output than the ISD.

The other defining feature of the ship is the lack of hangar bays. In ROTJ the main hangar is completely covered by plating (and possibly additional equipment), while the secondary hangar has a thick plate covering it. While it is likely that the main hangar is completely removed, it is possible that the secondary hangar bay is still there but hidden behind thick armoured doors (I think any large ship needs at least a small bay for the tranfering of crew and cargo without having to dock with other ships or stations).

One last thing I want to point out is that the Tector in ROTJ appears to based on the ISD-II. According to Legends the Tector was introduced during the Clone Wars which indicates that it might share the base design of the ISD-1. This means that there may be two classes of Tectors, one based off the ISD-I hull and another based off the ISD-II hull.

Chrissonofpear2 likes this.
  19. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    The Tector would just be a big battering ram that you throw at the enemy's heavy warships and defenses. Of course, your fleet would need supporting ships as well...your frigates and starfighters are much more mobile, so you send those to engage more distant targets. But the main action would be with your Star Destroyers attacking the enemy head-on. The Imperial and Victory-class can do this just fine, but the Tector would just be better at it.

Grevious_Coward likes this.
  20. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    Kenobi Episode 1
    They finally put that Porsche co-designed Triwing in use, flying off Alderaan

21. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Also looks like

Tatooine space liners really got upgraded between Obi-Wan and the Book of Boba Fett

DaddlerTheDalek and Nom von Anor like this.
  22. Senator Wan

Senator Wan Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 13, 2017
    I wonder if the model is modified to look like an older version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MercenaryAce likes this.
  23. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Different companies probably use different ships. And it's what...18 to 20 years between the shows?

Last edited: May 29, 2022
    Snafu55 and MercenaryAce like this.
  24. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    True. Course, the Halcyon is still flying around after three hundred years, so star wars ships are built to last.

Honestly, I just expecting them to reuse the model since they went through the trouble of making it and hey they reuse a lot of background character costumes and stuff, but I am always happy to get more designs.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  25. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    The Halcyon is something of a special case of a vintage starliner that is well maintained and updated and has a reputation about it.

MercenaryAce likes this.