main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Unpopular Expanded Universe Opinions

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Irredeemable Fanboy, Jan 20, 2021.

1. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    What do you like about it?

2. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Really like the characters from the new movie. The franchise actually committed to letting the new generation become the main heroes unlike how the Powers That Be set it up in New Jedi Order and then smashed the reset button and had the Big Three running around like people half their age. I hated the novels after New Jedi Order for a variety of reasons and have generally enjoyed the sequel trilogy tie-ins. Also, I think we got 2/3rds of a good sequel trilogy. Really liked the first two and while there were a few things I really disliked about the third (I think the Kylo redemption story fell flat on its face, for example) and I think it was a narrative mess, I was okay with where it ended and wrapped things up overall.

Frankly, I'm overall of the opinion that current canon has proven to be vastly superior to Legends on every level, so that's my bias. Course, to me Legends was a side thing to the movies, never the raison d'être for the Galaxy Far, Far Away, so take that for what it's worth.

Irredeemable Fanboy likes this.
  3. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Ok. I am mixed. I think NJO is MUCH better than the ST and I can end things there. I think the Bantem era stuff is not as good as the current Mandoverse.

Post NJO, well it killed my interest in star wars going forward. But so did TLJ, though TRoS restored my interest, though I don't think any of the ST are good films.

I do like how quickly the empire fell and how it is treated as evil.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
  4. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    NJO wasn't bad, but it never really clicked with me. I think it dragged on for too long, for one.

Sure. Some of the specific ones were good, but they overused the "the Empire rises again" and/or "superweapon of the week" plots too much.

Okay.

5. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    If we take the EU into account Phasma is the best ST character.

6. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Because of her book? Or is there somethign else?

7. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Mostly the books, her comic is decent as well.

AusStig likes this.
  8. The Emotional Jedi

The Emotional Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 18, 2021
    I never liked the absurd levels of power Luke is capable of using in the New Jedi Order series and subsequent works. After the New Republic Era the levels of Force power have become extremely exaggerated, Luke has come to the point of being able to stop black holes with the Force and become one with the Force and resurrect at will. This is so crazy. I mean, I understand that Luke is the son of the Chosen One and he's very powerful, but these are powers that even Anakin couldn't have used if he had been able to acquire his full Force potential. They're absurd powers and they make no sense at all. You can say anything you want about Starkiller, but Starkiller had a power limit. Starkiller has never been able to stop black holes with the Force, the most powerful thing he did was make a Stardestroyer fall to the ground, which is a very impressive, yet still possible thing.

AusStig likes this.
  9. The Emotional Jedi

May 18, 2021
    I think this is the funniest comment I’ve ever read in my life. I swear, I’ve been laughing like an idiot for 10 minutes. LOL. [face_laugh]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
    JediAvatar likes this.
  10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I think by the end the EU got to warped in itself that it focused way to much on the lore and being a bit to inward looking for it's own good.

Gamiel likes this.
  11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Maul’s tattoos being “Sith tattoos” was a nonsensical concept and I’m glad TCW debunked it. The Sith are in hiding and therefore it wouldn’t make sense for them to identify themselves with tattoos, none of the other Sith besides those in the Legacy comics have tattoos resembling Maul’s, and Zabraks who aren’t Sith have similar markings on their faces.

For the first two of the above reasons, Darth Bane and Darth Zannah shouldn’t have tattoos around their eyes.

12. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    Interesting, i've never thought about it that way [face_laugh] it sure makes Palpatine seem not very smart when trying to hide his apprentice's identity, doesn't it? lol, but i like it better as Sith Tatoos because it fits with Maul's character of being completely dedicated to the Sith, his acceptance of the physical sacrifice of tatooing his entire body for a cause says a lot about his determination and loyality, as well as Palpatine's absolute control over him, how far he has indoctrinated Maul from childhood.

But from a practical standpoint, yeah, it kind of depends on people not realizing those are Sith Tatoos, which a well educated Jedi should know lol, in Bane and Zannah's case it is more weird because at least in Palpatine's time you could say it's because he knew the Jedi forgot about Sith Tatoos and don't have records about them, in Bane's time? They were fighting Tatooed Sith 10 years ago.

The Emotional Jedi and AusStig like this.
  13. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I prefer them as Sith Tattoos. Even if people knew what they were they wouldn’t assume he is a Sith, he could just be edgy.

but I like them as it gave Maul more agency and choice in how he defined himself.

14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Big same

15. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    i prefer the treatment and depiction of the Empire post endor in canon compared to legends.

16. Even if TCW was popular EU authors should have ignored it TCW and never reference it
    for a more consistent universe the EU should have been more faithful to the original versions of the Prequels with Anakin never have a Padawan and Darth Maul not surviving

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2022
    The Emotional Jedi and AusStig like this.
  17. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well tell that to Lucas then ;p

18. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I disagree. That was what it immersive. Also in Crucible, you had Han and Leia referencing Mos Eisley as if forty years of stuff hadn't happened by then.

I prefer immersion than simply keeping the tethers to the films.

Anedon and AusStig like this.
  19. The Emotional Jedi

May 18, 2021
    I totally agree. I can’t really enjoy TCW in the context of the Prequel Trilogy, because it just doesn’t work for me. I can’t imagine Anakin having a padawan and Darth Maul being still alive. It just doesn’t work. In fact in my RPGs I always take the pre-TCW Anakin as the reference for the character. I can only enjoy TCW if I imagine it as a different universe from the Prequels and the EU, but if taken in the context of the Prequel Trilogy it really sucks for me.

AusStig and Anedon like this.
  20. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The EU had more continuity problems with both itself and the movies than the prequels did, but the internet denies that there’s any such issues with the EU while claiming that the prequels are incompatible with the OT.

Gamiel and Watcherwithin like this.
  21. The Emotional Jedi

May 18, 2021
    In my opinion the Prequels aren't incompatible with the Original Trilogy, and the EU didn't have so many continuity problems, at least before TCW.

Irredeemable Fanboy and AusStig like this.
  22. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    The EU did have contunity issues, but not many for the Clone Wars, as lucas asked people not to write about them. So we had the Clone Wars Multi-Media Project and that was it. And that fit well together.

Then TCW came and just rolled over everything.

23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I disagree here.

I honestly wish we saw more insane power feats in the EU than what we got. Anime level duels and more complex and intricate uses of the force in combat and otherwise.

I never liked the OT’s minimalism or the PT’s minimalism in terms of what the force could achieve. I want Jedi and Sith to be super human Demi gods that can tank armies and lay waste to worlds if they cut loose.

AusStig likes this.
  24. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    I think the power creep of the EU when it came to the Force was one of the worst things in Legends. It made every non Force user a complete pawn with no agency at all in the galaxy.

25. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I mean? Not really? You have Daala, Pellaeon, Han Solo even, Ania as well(she may have been revealed to be force sensitive but didn’t seem to be).

Force users are the stars of Star Wars, but there are plenty of important non force using characters which affect the plot.