main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Special Editions: Replace Luke & Leia Smooch With a Deleted Scene?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by MidKnighT, Apr 2, 2022.

?

Should Lucas Have Removed the Luke / Leia Smooch Scene?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. No

30 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    If the special editions changed things like Han shooting first and completely changed other scenes (like Jedi Rocks) then why didn't Lucas remove the Luke & Leia smooch? Thoughts?

He could have replaced it with a deleted scene. There are several options here:

If it was replaced by a deleted scene, which deleted scene would you add?

Darth Caliban and Darth Dnej like this.
  2. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Lucas not removing the kiss is one of the most baffling things ever about his filmmaking and tinkering. As you've shown, Empire had tons of deleted scenes to work with.
    You could edit out the kiss of the scene and try to transition it away in another way.
    I would've liked for Lucas and the crew to go back to the deleted scene of the metal bar and Luke using a saber on Dagobah and find a way to put it back in the film.

Wu Wei Jedi and StartCenterEnd like this.
  3. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I agree it should have been replaced.

4. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I wouldn't mind seeing Chewie physically fighting a Wampa.

5. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Chewie could pull the Wampa's other arm off.

gezvader28 likes this.
  6. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005
    Wow that would have been cool. I suppose it's possible to shoot that scene prior to the special editions coming out because everyone is in costume. But knowing Lucas at the time it probably would have been wonky CGI.

7. Wu Wei Jedi

Wu Wei Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 8, 2021
    There is a scene of Luke using a saber on Dagobah? Cool.And yeah Lucas should have removed the kiss scene.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  8. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    On the other hand, removing the scene would require acknowledging that Lucas didn't have everything planned from the beginning - that Leia and Luke weren't siblings until ROTJ was written. And Lucas was determined to present the public with a myth that he had every major detail of the story planned way before the first film came out.

Which is utter nonsense, as Leigh Brackett's ESB rough draft with Vader and Luke's father as separate people shows. But admitting that the story of SW grew and evolved and changed over the years was anathema to the narrative Lucas was spinning for public consumption.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
    TOASTEROVEN, Drac39 and Darth Caliban like this.
  9. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    I doubt it had anything to do with that @BlackRanger . Regardless of what people think, the Special Edition changes were mostly cosmetic. No scene was removed, and no deleted scene was added - except for Jabba's scene (which Lucas had wanted back in the film since 1981 at least) and the reunion with Biggs.
    Except for those two particular cases, the editing of the films was hardly altered. Lucas had no interest in adding back deleted scene at all -which were deleted for a reason anyway. And he had definitely no interested in removing scenes either.

I think too many people think about the Special Edition as something similar to the Extended Cuts of The Lord of the Rings - and they are completely different things!

Do I want that kiss removed? Not at all! Honestly, I don't understand what the problem is with that kiss. It's possible, and funny (and hardly erotic), and it's justified within the story (Luke is infatuated with Leia since he met her). There are far more extreme examples of morally questionable things in classical mythology.

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'm having a hard time imagining a satisfactory way to end the scene if the kiss doesn't end it. You can't just cut out the entire scene, it's the only one in ESB with all of them together. And even if a different ending was written, how would they film it? The only possibilities are deepfakes, or the wonky Greedo-shot-first Han-head-tilt kind of thing.

11. Bee Bee

Bee Bee Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2015
    When Leia goes in for the kiss Luke's head snaps to the side dodging it. Also, Leia says "maclunkey" for some reason.

12. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Indeed, removing the kiss would ruin the scene and removing the scene would ruin the first act of the film. So, twins be forever smooching!
    :luke::*:leia:

13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I think people get so hung up on the fact that Luke and Leia (unbeknownst to them) are brothers that they miss the entire point of the scene. The scene is just about Han and Leia and their relationship. Leia kissed Luke in the spur of the moment just to get to Han, but it could have been anybody. Luke just happened to be there. Luke enjoyed it, but only in a superficial way. By the time of TESB, he's not after Leia's feelings; and Leia isn't after Luke either. Han doesn't know that, of course. All he knows is that Luke had feelings for Leia back in ANH, that's why he's fooled right to the very end of ROTJ. This scene ties it all together.

14. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    What...this is a classic scene, you can't get rid of it. If anything, they should get rid of the brother/sister thing in ROTJ.

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They should get rid of all the changes made on the SE's.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  16. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    It’s not like they had intercourse on the screen. It was basically a peck on the cheek. If anything cut away faster.

CT-867-5309 and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  17. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005
    It was?

[​IMG]

18. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Which Luke/Leia kiss were you referring to?

19. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Yet another Skywalker secret revealed! I approve of this message [:D]

20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    My bad. :oops:

I meant siblings.

Sith Lord 2015 and Lulu Mars like this.
  21. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    I don't understand why people thinks it's a mistake to have Leia kiss Luke after Lucas knows they're siblings. It makes theIr kiss cringe-larious, and adds a perfect touch to the story.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
  22. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    no wonder his dad castrated him.

BlackRanger likes this.
  23. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    Here's the deal: While it is retconned incest yuckiness, I do like the banter between Han, Luke, Leia. It's a rare scene with all 3 in the film. What? We are going to lose "Laugh it up, fuzzball" and "scruffy looking nerfherder?" Is there a way to edit the kiss out without losing the rest of it?

Sarge likes this.
  24. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    it's best not to think about it too much.

Sarge likes this.
  25. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I’m going to have to think more about this. But something tells me that the transition would be awkward.

I do recall the original deleted scene showing Luke and Leia interacting more prior to Han’s entrance, and it was pretty darn romantic. I mean, my position is that they didn’t know they were related. Leia has a subconscious Force bubble around her thoughts in my head canon, and I believe the old EU implied as much. I don’t see how she couldn’t. Bail took Leia to Coruscant once in the EU, and neither Sidious nor Vader sensed Leia’s relation to Vader. Leia was freaked out by Sidious. She obviously became more resilient later. Vader was not able to get any information out of her through torture or the Force in ANH. Therefore, it stands to reason that Luke would not know that Leia was his sister in TESB. It was only with Obi-Wan’s encouragement that Luke was able to figure it out in ROTJ. So, I don’t blame them for not knowing.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.