main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What didn't you like about the phantom menace?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Poggo, Apr 2, 2022.

1. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    The podrace did not go on long enough. Give me the extended cut with Ratts Tyerell’s family.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
  2. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Can’t tell if you are joking?

I love TPM although the section after Coruscant where the battle is being planned on Naboo is a little tedious. Then we get Maul’s duel which more than makes up for it.

Dandelo likes this.
  3. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I have a terrible feeling he isn't.

4. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    [face_laugh]

Oh.

Dandelo likes this.
  5. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I'm pretty sure they were joking.

Watcherwithin and Dandelo like this.
  6. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I hope right you are

christophero30 likes this.
  7. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    The pod race was no longer than the Battle of Yavin and is the second biggest set piece in the film. It was the correct length. It does need to be long enough to give you the idea that you are watching an actual race.

8. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I do wish there were more practical effects and less CGI. I get that it'd probably be much harder to make, things like the battle droids, Watto, Sebulba, and Jar Jar. And CGI Jabba, that just never seems to work.

9. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    The battle droids look fine as CGI (as do the clones in AOTC), Jar-Jar is OK too. Jabba... not so much.

10. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    The tone is entirely consistent with what Lucas did with all of his Star Wars movies so if you have a problem here then I'd have to presume you have a problem with all of them?

wobbits and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  11. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    It's consistent with ROTJ, but people complain about that film pretty openly. Not quite sure what argument you're trying to make.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  12. Bee Bee

Bee Bee Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2015
    Despite how much I loath Jar-Jar, I've always been impressed with how well he holds up visually. I think part of the reason Jabba looks so off, at least to my eyes, is due to the fact that we've already seen the excellent, detailed Jabba puppet from ROTJ and so the cgi version has to live up to that comparison.

TOASTEROVEN and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  13. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    I'm not sure what argument you or the OP are trying to make either.

TPM is no different than anything else Lucas did in terms of tone. He always had an approach of don't take yourself too seriously balanced within the action-adventure parameters. i.e. you can be serious but also be comic at times hence characters like the droids and Jar Jar.

wobbits and Huttese 101 like this.
  14. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    I haven't been in here long enough to even form an argument. I see people complain about how annoying Threepio is. I see people complain about farts on Jar-Jar and burps from the sarlaac.

Some stuff just plays better than others.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
    Darth__Lobot likes this.
  15. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Sure but that really isn't the OP question.

It was about tone and the tone is consistent from Lucas.

Anyone's reaction is another matter.

16. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    If someone says they don't like the tone of TPM switching gears, I think that's a valid criticism. It works in the OT and doesn't really work in TPM.

Like, for example, Shaun of the Dead expertly mixes a variety of tones for all sorts of different purposes. But I've seen other films try and fail at that same endeavor.

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Lucas hadn't fully directed a film in almost two decades when he sat down to make TPM. He was a little rusty, that's all.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
    Darth__Lobot likes this.
  17. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    Yeah, I never understood that. Its just a movie; no need for the cast and crew to have gotten the hate they recieved...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

18. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    The main thing I didn't like about The Phantom Menace was the reaction to the film from so called SW fans who have made it their life's mission to gripe, nitpick, and complain about the movie every time it is mentioned even nearly some twenty three years later.

19. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    I agree. This mindless bashing is simply absurd and obnoxious. But it doesn't stop there but goes even further to bullying the actors, driving some of them to drugs, close to suicide or depression. NO ONE deserves that. It's OK to dislike a movie and utter some sound criticism of it, but there is a line which you simply don't cross. If those cowardly trolls didn't hide on the web and said those things directly in real life, they would be charged with .... what's the correct term? Slander, personal verbal attack, defamation? Some of them could even get arrested. But apparently the internet has allowed such "persons" to shamelessly attack anything and anyone without consequences or even the most basic decency. Sadly pretty much the same mindless bashing happened to Alien ³ and its makers. It went so far that Fincher completely distanced himself from the movie, much like Lucas did after the prequels. Neither of them deserved that.[face_frustrated]

20. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    The world has always been full of hateful, negative people with no lives or self esteem and unfortunately the internet has given them a platform to attack others over something as mundane and irrelevant to reality as personal preference in movies.

The neverending TPM online backlash that has caused so much pain to some of the actors and certainly to GL himself is just one symptom of how truly sick society has become at this point.

No wonder GL sold the rights. There is a large portion of so called SW fans who ought to just move on and find something they do enjoy rather than complaining about movies that are nearly a quarter century old. And if all you're going to do is complain about the Prequel Trilogy it's probably time to move on with your life and do something positive. Or try to come up with a new IP and make a go of it.

21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I don't enjoy TPM but I long ago realised that no filmmaker is going to be always matching my tastes , it would be strange if they did.

And I'm certainly not buying the idea that some posters try and sell : that Lucas was never talented and all the good things about SW are due to someone else , he's been involved in so many succesful projects thru writing , directing , conceiving etc. . Would directors like Coppola and Spielberg work so often with such an 'incompetent' ?

22. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Same can be said about the ST and its creators, crew, actors. No matter how you feel about the movies, the constant bashing and hating about them and its creators is toxic and causes a rift between the fandom and the creators as well as between fans themselves. The ST Subforum can't be used for any insightful discussion these days because its always the same sh****g on the movies and their crew from a couple of users...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
  23. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    Really? I feel like TPM is slightly more jokey with poop/fart jokes and slapstick humor than Episodes 4-6. I mean, you basically have Jar Jar doing a Buster Keaton/Roger Rabbit routine in the Gungan vs Droid battle that goes waaaay beyond the little jokes we saw during the Ewok battle* of Endor.

*The Ewoks had moments of humor whilst fighting, but those were leveraged to balance out the brutality/traps that those fuzzballs were actually enacting upon the Stormtroopers. We also had Ewoks being killed onscreen which added gravitas to the battle...whereas the Gungans weren't really shown being killed in battle onscreen.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
  24. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    I don't blame Jake Lloyd for the terrible portrayal of Anakin, I blame Lucas and casting. First of all I would not have chosen to start Anakin's story as a kid...but if they did they picked the wrong kid. Devon Michael was the best choice to play Anakin in TPM (the blonde kid in the making of TPM).

The choice to have Anakin "accidentally" blow up the droid control ship was also dumb.

Of course Jar Jar seems like he came out of the Roger Rabbit movie.

Boss Nass was terrible. Another cartoony character.

Other than that TPM was great! :)

FightoftheForgotten likes this.
  25. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    I disagree. Based on what I saw, I felt Jake Lloyd's performance in the audition was more natural. Devon's wasn't bad, but was trying harder, to me.
    While I think he could have a different victory, I think it being accidental is a solid concept and doesn't OP him, to me.

TOASTEROVEN likes this.