main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Favorite closing shot(s) in the Skywalker Saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Lulu Mars, Apr 1, 2022.

?

Read the opening post, then vote! :)

1. Peace! (TPM)

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  2. Lake Wedding (AOTC)

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  3. Binary Sunset (ROTS)

17 vote(s)
    44.7%
  4. Cheers for the Heroes (ANH)

15 vote(s)
    39.5%
  5. Rebel Fleet in Hiding (TESB)

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  6. Happy Friends (ROTJ)

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  7. Lightsaber Offered (TFA)

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  8. A Child's Dream (TLJ)

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  9. Binary Sunrise (TROS)

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    True. But to be honest Williams' music isn't always equally good. Frankly I was disappointed in the original ROTJ Ewok celebration ending music. Jedi generally has less original music than ESB. To me, ESB as a whole is possibly Williams' best SW score.
    As for best closing music, it has to be either ANH or AOTC for me. I tend towards AOTC, as "Across the Stars" is probably my all-time favorite SW cue.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  2. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I agree with this, "Across the Stars" is wonderful. AOTC is the only SW movie where ,when I watch it, I watch the entire end credits, just to listen to Williams' music.

3. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    Absolutely! And that harp (is it? I'm musically illiterate) piece at the very end is brilliant, and as far as I know unique in SW music, which normally ends with a fanfare. Am I right? Can't say anything about the sequels though, as I haven't listened to any of their scores.

Subtext Mining and Count Yubnub like this.
  4. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    It is a harp :)
    And I agree! Very beautiful, very special.

5. Thomas Heath

Thomas Heath Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2022
    The end of TPM, because Obi-Wan Kenobi's stance or position during the ceremony is the announcement of not being in on it. And, this is pertinent, overall, because of a previous comment I've published about the Naboo music score being a tolerance of theology, represented by Amityville 2.

As the shot goes to Ewan Mcgregor, after Padme, who is the epitome in the moment of "daring the invader", the music becomes disrupted.

McGregor, as a British person, is a natural embodiment of reality's gambit at story.
    In Star Wars, this is very controversial.

6. Thomas Heath

Mar 30, 2022
    Your number one choice, is a slot that's a cliffhanger. TPM, in general, is an insider movie, ergo the poetry of the reality of your comment.

7. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    AOTC especially makes me wish that Spielberg and Lucas teamed up more on Star Wars like they did with Indiana Jones. AOTC's new planets and music with Spielberg directing would have been phenomenal.

8. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    Uh... what? :eek: Not getting a single word of what you are trying to say :confused:

9. Thomas Heath

Mar 30, 2022

There are a few disparate elements, in the post. One element, is that not being in on it is in fact a theology truth.

Theology: the nature of who God is.
    Amidala is a monarch, therefore she can apply to the theology aspect.

Theology, also encompasses the national bias syndrome. Or, at least, its nonexistence is at the mercy of knowing what uniformity each person isn't capable of. And that last part is agreeable to me, due to its framework symmetry to McGregor's stance at the end of TPM.

I said before, that McGregor's position at the ceremony is the music being out of sync. (this is where theology ironically gets mocked, for its disproportionate attention to detail, the irony deriving from the exemption of the national inclusion).

10. Bee Bee

Bee Bee Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2015
  11. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    All great in their own way but it's a tie between the wedding in AOTC and the sunrise in ROTS.

Subtext Mining likes this.
  12. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    The Rise of Skywalker. One of the most beautiful shots in the entire saga. And it really was a perfect note to end on.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  13. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Do you mean the sunset in ROTS or the sunrise in TROS? ;)

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  14. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    In ROTS it's definitely a sunset. We know because the suns set in the same direction as when Luke is looking at them. And that was definitely in the evening because Luke said it will be dark soon, and didn't want to risk going after R2 then. No idea which way Tatooine rotates, if the suns set in the west or east, but they sure were setting. :p

15. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Yeah, that was my point.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  16. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    Sorry, I was really addressing @darth_mccartney ;)

17. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    I have no issue with Rise of Skywalker (allegedly the end of the saga) ending on Tatooine with Rey and the Twin suns. It's a nice bookend to the end of ROTS (which itself was a call back/forward to ANH).

However, it would have been much more fitting for 3P0 and R2 to be in the shot as well. I realize that BB-8 (who is iconic in his own right) is JJ's baby. However, as a saga capper ,our OG droids should have been in the shot. Hell, I would've had the Falcon/Chewie in the shot as well.

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I see where you're coming from, but that makes for a busy image as the final shot. I think stark simplicity works better. For a good compromise, maybe the camera could have panned across the other characters before settling on the final image as we saw it.

19. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Hm... How about everyone dies except Artoo and Threepio, who then walk off into the sunrise to find the Keeper of the Whills and tell them about the Skywalkers?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
  20. Darth Baga

Darth Baga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2021
    I'd say Return of the Jedi's closing shot. *Points to profile signature*

I just love how happy and carefree they all are. They have every right to be given that the Empire has been beheaded, the Sith have been destroyed and their fight against tyranny is almost at an end. Luke is clearly confident knowing he's in the presence of his family, friends and former masters. His father has been saved and he can soon bring about a new generation of Jedi.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  21. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Sorry my bad. It probably is a sunset in Revenge of the Sith.

The thing is, I can see why it could be a sunrise, too. Symbolically speaking. Yeah, the Empire has begun, everything is going to ****, but there is little baby Luke - the new hope himself. That hope is dawning on the galaxy. While things might be dark, the light is coming.

That seems like a very George Lucas way of looking at things. I don't think he'd worry about where the suns came up and went down when it's all about the symbolism and an awesome shot haha

Sarge and Sith Lord 2015 like this.