main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Which Movie Introduced the Best New Planets?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by MidKnighT, Apr 10, 2022.

?

Which Movie Introduced the Best New Planets?

1. A New Hope: Tatooine and Yavin IV

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  2. Empire Strikes Back: Hoth, Degobah, Bespin

13 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Return of the Jedi: Endor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Phantom Menace: Naboo, Gungan City

9 vote(s)
    17.3%
  5. Attack of the Clones: Coruscant, Kamino, Geonosis

20 vote(s)
    38.5%
  6. Revenge of the Sith: Utapau, Kashyyyk, Mustafar

8 vote(s)
    15.4%
  7. The Force Awakens: Jakku, Takodana, D’Qar, Starkiller Base

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. The Last Jedi: Ahch-To, Cantonica, Crait

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  9. Rise of Skywalker: Pasaana, Kijimi, Exegol

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I chose The Phantom Menace, but I don’t particularly agree with the way the environments are sorted in this poll.

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Coruscant should be TPM

3. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Attack of the Clones, by a long way. Geonosis and Kamino are both amazing additions to the galaxy. Plus we got a lot more of Coruscant.

I did very much like Crait and Exogol from TLJ and TROS. But still, AOTC it is for me!

4. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I definitely think there is a connection between the reddish Geonosis and the reddish ending on Coruscant. On the surface, it seems the Clone Wars started the farthest you can imagine from Coruscant. Geonosis is a planet that's mostly organic with sand and rock formations and somewhere in the galaxy while Coruscant is the bright center and completely built industrially. It's easy for Senators to vote for a war that's supposed to stay away, but war will eventually come to Coruscant and the last scenes and all those "twilight of the Republic" moods are strongly teasing that part of Palpatine's plan.

I also voted for AOTC, by the way. It's the movie that allowed me to immerse myself in the movie and the world of Star Wars the most and that's in large part due to the planets and how well they were realized.

5. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    It was introduced in TPM, true, but really fleshed out in AOTC. In ROTJ we get a glimpse (so why not say Coruscant AND Naboo belong to ROTJ?), in TPM a slightly larger glimpse, mostly indoors, while in AOTC we really get a grand tour right through it - at great heights among the skyscrapers, at street level, local bars and diners, its less attractive industrial areas PLUS as a huge military base. It was SEEN previously, true, but doesn't really come alive till Clones.

6. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    Refresh my memory, what did we see in Coruscant besides the Jedi Council meeting and the senate in TPM?

Whatever we saw of the actual planet was no more than what we saw of the Order 66 planets that I recall. Like @Sith Lord 2015 said we get the grand tour in AOTC.

Looking at the poll, say what you want about the OT vs PT vs ST but it's pretty clear the PT had the best planets overall.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
    Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  7. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    How much did we see of Yavin IV in ANH? I’d argue that the Death Star was more of an environment in that film, but that isn’t the point. TPM may not visit many locations on Coruscant, but it spends enough time there and shows it off sufficiently to get that honor for sure.

Also, we do see other locations such as the landing pad and Palpatine’s apartment, plus numerous flyovers and vistas. Hell, I think we get a better look at Coruscant in TPM than we do of Bespin in TESB even.

8. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005
    OK OK Coruscant should probably be included in both TPM and AOTC then. We are introduced to Coruscant in TPM but we get the grand tour in AOTC. I think it's the only planet that is kind of reinvented in a subsequent film. Tatooine is always Tatooine by comparison.

That said I can't edit the poll so if you think that TPM had the best planets then vote for TPM.

Sith Lord 2015 and Mystery Roach like this.
  9. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I swear I’m not picking on you, but I don’t necessarily agree with that assessment of Tatooine either. Aside from AOTC, we see a pretty different side of that planet in each new film where it’s featured as well. And even in that one we see the Tusken camp.

But yeah, that’s why I went ahead and voted for TPM. The environments of that movie impressed me on first viewing more than any other because at that time nothing on that scale had really been seen before. Plus Naboo and Coruscant are both just beautiful, and the time on Tatooine was like coming home, but still totally novel.

10. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005
    Nah... Tatooine is still a desert planet with a Cantina type feel in every movie IMO. No we didn't see Jabba's palace in ANH but that's not anything new or unexpected. Sure we saw new elements of Tatooine in various movies but it's still the same place. Nothing says "woah I never expected this to be on this planet". Tusken raiders were already introduced in ANH. Seeing their camp is not a huge revelation.

We did not see anything like the Coruscant speeder chase from AOTC in TPM at all. We saw a jedi council meeting, the senate, and a few background shots.

11. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    The Tusken camp wasn’t a revelation but it was something new. Jabba’s Palace though? That was on a totally different level than anything that had been seen before. And you can’t prop up the speeder chase and ignore the podrace. If you write off all the varieties of Tatooine as just a “desert planet” than you can dismiss Coruscant as a “city planet” just as easily, because fundamentally there isn’t much difference.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Jabba's palace was just a bigger Mos Eisley cantina.

13. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    And the Rancor never bit first.

Jedi Knight Fett and Sarge like this.
  14. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005
  15. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Sorry I wasn’t trying to be so critical as to necessitate that. I did vote according to my own criteria and would have left it at that but I was just into the discussion. I had my own ideas of what the poll should be but I didn’t mean to step on your toes.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005
    No worries I understand the argument.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  17. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    Went for ep3... Love them all

18. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    This everyday! I knew something was missing... Rogue One introduced multiple cool planets :cool:

Jedi_Goulden_25 and Sarge like this.
  19. Jedi_Goulden_25

Jedi_Goulden_25 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 3, 2021
    Attack of the clones had cool planets such as Kamino However Phantom Menace had Naboo which is simply Beautiful! I imagen that some day soon when Climate Change kicks in we will be living in places like Tipoca city. That would be cool

20. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    TESB: Mix of iconic and cool. Hoth is a cold desert, Dagobah is full of mystery and life, Bespin is a gas giant with Cloud City.
    ROTS is up there as well. Mustafar, Utapau, Mygeeto, Felucia, and others.
    ROTJ and TFA are probably the worst. You only have Endor for ROTJ and TFA mostly had uninspired planets (minus the introduction of Ahch-To at the end).

Watcherwithin likes this.
  21. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    AOTC. It was a big achievement after the great locations from the classic trilogy.

22. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    The Phantom Menace. Coruscant and Naboo are the best Star Wars planets.

darkspine10 likes this.
  23. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    13% of TPM takes place in Coruscant. That's far more than a glimpse.

24. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    As I stated earlier, the vast majority of Coruscant in TPM is set indoors; while in AOTC we actually get to see what it's like to speed right between skyscrapers, get to street level, see some of the actual local life outside government buildings and Jedi temple. You could almost regard TPM Coruscant as a city in lockdown mode, seen mostly through windows. In AOTC "we" actually get to dive right into it.
    I'm sure nowadays you can have a spectacular view of Shanghai from a 20th floor apartment window. But you are not allowed outside the building. So what good is the view? :D

MidKnighT likes this.
  25. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005
    Interesting that TESB and the prequels are the only ones to receive votes.

Bash the PT if you like but no question the PT introduced the best planets overall.