main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions How do you think EU authors would have handled Luke's death?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by SateleNovelist11, Apr 13, 2022.

1. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    I mean...that's a you problem my friend....just don't engage with it then and let the people who do enjoy it enjoy it in peace.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  2. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    On that point I think Legacy should have been more 200 or 300 years post rest of the EU not just about 100.
    Because then it truly wouldn‘t have limited the EU as much and truly exisited in peace.

3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Yeah, really Star Trek TNG that stuff, make it nothing to do with any Skywalker child and set it in the way far future.

4. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Interesting food for thought.

5. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Indeed, I have always felt that Legacy and by extension a lot of the EU's problems was the relatively close gap between the post NJO continuation and Legacy-this created a lot of problems for authors, who had to acknowledge other works(much to their oft resentment or limitation). Set Legacy at least 200 years in the future, if not even longer(500-1000) and the post NJO is pretty much free to explore any real direction it likes without the upcoming narrative fork that is Legacy(imagine the post NJO as a car in a road-and Legacy as a turn on the road that has to be accounted for and followed and you can see why there were a lot of problems).

In the latter case especially, the post NJO authors would have been able to set up future plots, as well as address the growth, aging and death of the mainstays(Lucas' go ahead ignored for the moment) without having to account for the timetable of Legacy-82 years by Crucible. Which in terms of SW generations, isn't really long, and even in RL publishing-the truce at bakura to Crucible spans pretty much the EU's history.

In this case, I think Luke's death or his fate really could be handled with a greater degree of freedom by the authors without "Luke must be dead, or at least disappeared by 130 ABY" as a requirement.

6. VaderBoyee

VaderBoyee Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 9, 2021
    • Denning-He would've lost a couple of limbs and died.
    • Traviss-The mandalorians would've killed him and boasted about how kewl they are.
    • Zahn-He would've died fighting a guy with an unpronounceable name.
    • Luceno-Died while spouting some obscure references.
    • Stackpole-Died in a X-wing.

7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I also think it's odd that the COMICS got to decide the fate of the far future over the books

And i'm someone who does want more 'Equality" among the mediums...even though at the endow the day...we all know Movies and film are gonna be King.

But still the comics essentially dictated what the post NJO era was going to go because of the relative short time those stories were set.

Always felt weird...especially given how things started with Dark Empire being essentially ignored and later downplayed.

8. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    It does make me wonder how that was agreed on, and why.

9. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

It's a bizarre choice for sure...Espeically putting books in a corner.

Again comics and books being treated as equals on paper I like...But in execution this gave the comics to much power.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2022
  10. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Maybe its because Lucas seemed to prefer the comics and pulled various things from them? Mostly scantily clad women, which Legacy clearly had several off....

11. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Sounds about right, especially Traviss, Zahn, and Luceno.

VaderBoyee likes this.
  12. VaderBoyee

VaderBoyee Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 9, 2021
    I'm actually really into Luceno and Traviss. I think Zahn's slightly overrated (everybody talks like Sherlock).

13. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Denning would have loved to give Luke a very Denning esque sort of death. That said, even Denning had he been the one to write Luke's death he would have probably been under very strict orders on what it would look like and how it would happen.

Which is another factor to consider-there is no way something like this wouldn't be tightly controlled by the editors and higher ups at Lucasfilm-everything from scene to tone, to manner of death, etc... would probably be decided by committee not any individual author, and the author tasked to write it would have to follow it nearly to the letter.

Last edited: May 16, 2022