main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Spider-Man & SSU Films (Madame Web, Venom 3, Kraven, Beyond the Spider-Verse)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, May 20, 2008.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Based on some of Marvels later works would I not say that just becouse of it being part of MCU will it automaticly be good.

And you make it sound like Sony only made bad Spider-Man (-ish) movies

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I’ll give them credit for making Into the Spiderverse but their past six (non-MCU) live action films have ranged from nothing special to downright trash. I have far more faith in the MCU.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
  3. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Sony's best live-action Marvel movies of late are definitely the ones they actually co-produce with Marvel Studios

Yodaminch and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  4. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    The Venom movies are weirdly endearing trash, in that they're so obviously crass corporate attempts pumping out a 'cinematic universe'/franchise and and jamming a square peg into a round hole, but they're also anchored by a really wacky, manic Tom Hardy performance that's so ill-advised and full of life and bursting with energy and (the second movie at least, though the both feel like they were editing by feeding chunks of the film through a paper shredder) keeps frenzied pace with that off-kilter performance. The movies are schlock and feel like they're plucked from the early 2000s and barely function on any level that matters to most people, but they also have goo monsters thrashing about and Tom Hardy gets to kiss his Tom Hardy-voiced goo monster partner and it's all kind of shockingly adorable and as a result it sort of sticks a totally different landing than what anyone at Sony actually intended when they made that first one.

[​IMG]

I'll happily check out the Venom 3 that was just announced, and I'm hopefully optimistic that we might get some more frenzied schlock out of it. Don't care at all about any of the rest of this onslaught of junk though. Morbius looked dire.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I don't care for the Venom movies either, but Morbius works fine for me as a relatively glossy B-movie

6. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    "Gloss" is the last thing I want in a B-movie.

heels1785 likes this.
  7. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Yes, understandably so. Not everyone is as eager to try out something new and different. ;)

8. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Morbius was an interesting concept and I like the character, but the whole thing was a mess and made no sense.

So much more could have been done with it

9. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Well the same goes for The Batman.

I really had much more fun with Morbius (and its modest ambitions) than with the overblown TB...

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Oh I remember Venom-related action figures from a 90/early 00s Venom toyline.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Six? I take it we have different opinions regarding the ASM films.

12. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Happy 20th anniversary, Spider-Man 1!

13. Dr Silva

Dr Silva Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 23, 2021
    Tobeys my Spider-Man and the Raimi first two films are classics still , even part 3 i like although the editing was not as good but alot of things as weve learned over the years went wrong in that film , still both first two films really were huge in restoring order and making comic book films box office gold again.

Emperor Ferus, PCCViking and Sarge like this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I was hoping for a 20th anniversary Spider-Man release, but I did go out and buy the 4k disc of No Way Home (bought the movie officially twice now) so that counts.

As for el Muerto, I'm sure I have the comic somewhere because it was by Peter David's run on Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man which was pretty great (his first few arcs was all new one shot baddies which is where El Muerto and Tracer came from). Although the best stuff in that run was at the end in the post-Civil War/Pre One More Day stint where Pete's ID was revealed while he was a high school teacher, there's a JJJ and Parker showdown issue that is fantastic.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
  15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Awww we still love you anyway, Sam!

Middle age MJ and Peter flick is an okay notion too!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  17. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    [​IMG]
    The ultra-rare SMNWH 4k steelbook is now mine! [face_dancing]

Emperor Ferus and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Raimi wasn't all to blame on that film. Too many other factors were at play.

19. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Just rewatched The Amazing Spiderman. I havn't seen it in years, probably before Civil War, or there abouts. There's things i like about it and things i don't. I'd probably give it a C+. Perhaps someone who was less a fan would give it a B.
    The things that bother me: Everything connected to Oscorp. Curt Connors works for Oscorp, Peter's father was apparently connected there, Gwen is an intern there. Peter even gets his web fluid from there.
    Peter's interactions with Ben and May. He acts halfway like a punk in the one pivotal scene.
    The stupid green jacket he wears.
    Garfield tries too hard to act like a dork with Gwen.
    Captain Stacy, well they completely change him from pro-Spidey in the comic to anti-Spidey. When he dies he tells Peter to stay away from her where as in the comic it's opposite.
    I forgot he never did catch the killer.
    I probably said all the exact same things 10 years ago. I remember feeling , okay, promising , but not perfect.
    The Good? I actually believe I'm watching Peter and his supporting cast , unlike the recent films
    Garfield and Stone have great chemistry. Flash was great too.
    Going to watch ASM 2 as well . That should be interesting. I don't know if i ever rewatched it. Probably once.

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    As I recall it was wrapped up in some tie-in material made in between the films. Yeah.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I tend to think that AS1 was cleaner and more focused than AS2, while AS2 was about 50% better from knowing what worked better in AS1 and about 50% worse because Sony wanted so much more extraneous stuff in it.

I tend to find I like rewatching AS2 more, but it has moments where I just wish about 25% of the film were cut out.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I still love the final scene in ASM2, it actually doesn't feel like the blatant cliffhanger that it gets judged as. To me it's a affirmation that Spider-Man will keep fighting. But yah in No Way Home Peter Three mentioned that he went dark and stopped pulling his punches so that also makes (dark) sense. If we ever get the end of that scene I'm assuming it didn't turn out very well for Alexi. Probably traumatized the little Spider-Man fan kid watching too.

Ghost likes this.
  23. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think it probably suffered some backlash from Harry getting a five minute Green Goblin arc complete with Gwen’s death crammed right after Electro’s; it made Rhino feel extra extra.

If the script had made either a better integration of Harry and Electro earlier, or erased one for the other, Rhino would probably have felt more clearly like an epilogue rather than a sequel hook.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Well if i gave ASM a 3.5 out of 5 stars i'd give the next one 2. The problem with this movie is...many things.
    it 's starts with Richard and Mary on the run...sigh this storyline. then you've got the horrible version of Electro. It's like parts of the movie are grounded, even less comic-booky than the Raimi trilogy, then you have weird and silly villains. There's a Mr. Smythe at Oscorp. Obvious reference to Spencer Smythe in the comic book who was an inventor on his own, with no connection to Osborn, but again in these movies Everything has to be connected to Osborn..
    Harry Osborn is just Weird all the way through the movie. The Rhino...another dumb interpretation.
    The best things in the movie are Garfield and Stone. If Gwen hadn't been in the movie...i just don't know. You feel like you want one less villain and more of them.
    When Garfield is in the suit the quip's are perfect , and one thing i noticed is the mask comes off much less than the Holland and Maguire films, which is good.
    When it comes to Gwen's death i felt bothered by it as it was about to happen. Like as big a stickler as i am for sticking to the comics as far as Spiderman that's one part i wish they had deviated. Gwen's death in the comics was a mistake. There might be some people that argue it but the reality is 60s ASM was much more upbeat and alive than 70s. It had a big supporting cast and then they shipped Flash to viet nam, killed George Stacy, killed Gwen and institutionalized Harry . The book kind of went into a holding pattern for years after that.
    But anyway finally love the song at the end by Alicia Keys. Strange what happened after the release. It only made 200 million in the U.S. but overall it got to 700 million. Even before the offer to join the MCU in 2015 plans had kind of fell apart for a sequel.

BigAl6ft6 and soitscometothis like this.
  25. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Ghost, BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.