main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters ♡ The OTP & Pairing Thread ♡ | Challenge #33 is up: How They Met! (1/28, p. 90, #2231)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Captain Rakkaus, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Captain Rakkaus

Captain Rakkaus Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2015
    Me again, with a heads-up that two (2) weeks are left in our Vacation Time challenge! Stories due April 18! :)

2. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    And now there’s one week left! :)

3. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    And now just three (3) days! Let see what we get! :D

4. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003

Last edited: May 3, 2022
  5. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    Great! Got your entry in, @amidalachick , thanks so much! We’re now up to six.

And here’s a reminder that today is the last day to get entries in for our vacation challenge! Voting will begin tomorrow and will run for two weeks. Looking forward! :)

6. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    ALL RIGHTY DOO! I'm pleased to announce that it's now VOTING TIME for OTP Challenge #24: Vacation Time! Here are the five (5) awesome stories we have in the running:
    • Lovers Vacation by Anedon and Adalia-Durron (OCs Ulrika Grau and Elena Kyr; Kyp Durron and OC Adalia Durron)
    • Day Trippers by Nehru_Amidala (Thrawn and Jaina Solo)
    • Beach Fun by earlybird-obi-wan (Obi-Wan Kenobi and Siri Tachi)
    • Love in the Naboo Lake Country by devilinthedetails (Anakin Skywalker and Padmé Amidala Skywalker; Han Solo and Leia Organa Solo)
    • Life Raft by ViariSkywalker (Allana Djo Solo and OC Darth Festus)
    The Vacation by amidalachick (NSW: Stranger Things; Steve/Billy, Joyce/Hopper, Mike/El, Max/Lucas)

Here's what to do: PM your vote to this sock by 11:59 pm (23:59) PST on May 3. (So you'll have about two weeks to read and vote.)

Here's what not to do: vote more than once, vote for yourself, vote using a sock as well as your normal account, vote for something that's not on this list, etc., etc.

Here's when the winner will be announced: on or about May 4 (barring all RL catastrophe).

Happy reading and voting to all! :)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  7. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    So just to clarify on my story. While Adalia and Kyp do appear, as part of the collab with @Adalia-Durron the focus of the story is on Ulrika Grau and Elena Kyr and their relationship.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
  8. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    Ah, thanks for the heads-up! I've added their names in the index above. :)

Kahara and devilinthedetails like this.
  9. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    Hey everyone! Just letting you know there is now one week left to vote on OTP Challenge #24! Votes are due Tuesday, May 3! Get ’em in! :D

10. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    And now there are three (3) days left to vote. Do send ’em on in! :D

11. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    And we’ve reached our very last day of voting! Get ’em in, because results will go up tomorrow! :)

12. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    All righty, everyone! We have a winner:

Let’s give her a great big round of applause! =D= And kudos to all who participated in the challenge with your fine work! Thank you all once again for making this a wonderful challenge! :)

And now, watch this space—your next challenge will go up at the beginning of next week, and it is going to be a very special and celebratory one in honor of the OTP Thread’s reaching 25 challenges! Thanks again, and see you all very soon!

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    SQUEEAGE! Congratulations to @devilinthedetails who combines lovely scenery with oomphy couple talk. ;) [:D]

14. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Oh goody, another challenge…

15. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
  16. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    Congratulations on a well-deserved win for a lovely story, @devilinthedetails! [:D] And a big round of applause for all the participants!

17. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
  18. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    A big thank you to everyone for the kind words of support and congratulations[:D] You all continue to make this place one of the best on the entire Internet to hang out and post!

Also, a huge thank you as always to @Captain Rakkaus for hosting this lovely challenge that provides a constant source of inspiration and motivation to write. As well as a wonderful reason to write about some of my favorite couples[face_love]

It was a wonderful treat for me to write about two of my favorite Star Wars couples being all lovey-dovey in the beautiful Naboo Lake Country (a setting I have a true soft spot for).

I can't wait to see what the next challenge will be and what amazing fics it will inspire from my fellow authors@};-

19. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Congratulations, @devilinthedetails, and everyone who participated in the challenge! That was a wonderful crop of stories, and I can't wait to see what comes next. [face_love] =D=

20. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I was really disappointed to see that, once again, a “popular” pairing beat out everything else. Why does that not surprise me? Once again, this just proves that these challenges are nothing more than rigged popularity contests, with the same small number of authors always winning.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
    Anedon and devilinthedetails like this.
  21. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    @Nehru_Amidala

That's not a fair thing to say at all. Over the years, a variety of authors have won this contest writing for several different pairings - some of which I would hardly call popular.

But that's not even the point. The point is that these challenges are supposed to be fun; their sole purpose is to encourage creativity. If you told the story you wanted to tell, then you won. Period. Beyond that, the title of "winner" is only intended to be another element that inspires even more writing. For the most part, it does. We have an awesome and supportive community here! Whoever "wins" is a matter of chance, and yes, sometimes personal taste on the part of the voters. It's never done in bad faith to those who "lose", nor does it mean that those stories are any lesser in quality. Calling this a rigged popularity contest spits in the face of the hard work put in by all of the authors who participated, and is, quite frankly, insulting to the author who did win and to our hostess who so generously takes the time to run this thread.

If you can't participate solely for the joy of doing so, then this challenge and others like it might not be a good fit for you. If they make you upset, then it's your job to avoid them instead of making others feel bad. Please think twice before posting messages like this in the future. They only discourage and dishearten others, which is truly unfair.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  22. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    So I saw this, and I did want to respond. Hopefully the response comes across in the genuinely understanding and sympathetic spirit I intended and not at all condescending since tone can be hard to convey on the Internet. With that caveat out of the way, here comes the meat and potatoes of my post:

[:D]I truly am sorry that you are disappointed. It can be one of the hardest and most frustrating parts of fanfic writing to write a rare pair or general fic that seems to get overlooked or overshadowed in light of stories with more popular pairings. I just hope you don't get too discouraged by that, because from my own experience as a writer, popularity does not always equal quality. Like some of my most popular works on Archive of Our Own (with over 100 kudos) are not necessarily the ones I think of as being my best quality. Sometimes the ones with the better quality end up sitting at 20 kudos or so just because they are general or rare pair. So I've just come to view popularity as a separate beast from quality, and as long as I tried to write something that was to me good quality, I just try to be happy and not "stat watch" too much. Though that can be hard with sites like Archive of Our Own that track so many stats.

I also always view myself as a quirky writer with kind of a "niche" audience because I tend to be really into philosophizing, world building, and characters doing not much but charactering so a reader that loves that sort of stuff and doesn't care that most of the times my works don't have much of a plot at all is a reader after my own heart. Basically, that is my long-winded way of saying that I don't perceive myself as a popular writer at all. Much more of a niche one for readers that can appreciate my quirks.

For this challenge in particular, I've always been pleased by the recognition I did get writing a variety of pairings not all of which I would consider popular like Beru/Owen Lars, Bail/Breha Organa, Siri/Obi-Wan, Ben/Vestara, and Cliegg/Shmi. Those stories didn't always win but I got some great, thoughtful reviews that make me smile when I look back on those fics, and some lovely readers nominated them for Fanfic Festival too. So sometimes recognition came months later and proved how much the stories resonated with readers and how much they remembered the pairing or a character portrayal. That can mean that sometimes even if a story doesn't garner enough votes to win the challenge it can still end up in the spotlight in a special way later on down the road.

I know that I do return to this thread for ideas and inspiration come the Fanfic Festival time, so there is every chance that I will highlight stories that don't win the vote for a category or two in the Fanfic Festival.

I will also say that I primarily participate in this challenge because it is good inspiration to me (across sites, I do like all sorts of prompts/challenges/events that can fuel my muse even if there is no prize involved), and it really is never my intention to discourage any of my fellow writers in any way. So I am truly sorry if I did that however unintentionally.

As I show of good faith and putting my money where my mouth is, I will try to enroll the next two entries I submit to challenges in this thread in an unofficial way so I can still be inspired and involved with the event but give others a chance to win. Because it is never my goal to hog the limelight or anything like that.

Keep your chin up and keep writing, my friend!:)

23. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    I actually agree with you here.

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  24. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    You agree with what, that popular pairings and concepts shouldn't be popular, or that everyone else is cheating because one of you didn't win?

This is embarrassingly childish. This is a fun, meaningless challenge on a fanfic message board. There are no prizes. As Mira said, the sole purpose of these challenges is to inspire creativity, and if you wrote the story you wanted to write, you won. There's no mandatory participation, there's no shame in not winning, there's no glory in winning. Insulting not only the winner but the host and everyone who participated or voted is uncalled for and out of line, as a mod has already said. That should be the end of it.

25. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006