main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Official "The Book of Boba Fett" Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Fredrik Vallestrand, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The replica 1812 privateer Pride of Baltimore posted this on their FB page today, along with the quote: "No hard feelings. It's just business." --Boba Fett

[​IMG]

3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I love her.

4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Heard about the gallery

Apparently internally they do sorta see Book of Boba Fett as Mando Season 3....I mean kinda not shocked at this point

Mando Season 3 is really just Mando Season 4 ;p

KyleKartan and Bor Mullet like this.
  5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

About Boba Fett and characters like him.

6. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Get it...Can't write it.

CampOfSorgan and GunganSlayer like this.
  7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Or its just how star wars works out. GL, Dave Filoni, Faveru all see Star Wars this way.

Last edited: May 6, 2022
  8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018

I do think in a way he has a point. One was recast and another was deepfaked. Is Hamill holding unto the past too mutch, while Ford lets the character go and get new life with new actor. This is something Faveru must think about when he made the decisions to have Luke Skywalker back and Hamil coming back instead of recast. Are we now going into a future where deepfake and recasting characters are done with flip of a coin.

9. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    There's a meanness in that tweet.

10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think he just dosent like the deepfake and is more in favor of recast. So he critism on how he feels about it.

11. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    The deepfake issue I feel is more of a psychological one. I had no problem, because it looked pretty amazing for the most part. If it looked rubbish, maybe my opinion of the technology would have changed. That's pretty much what I'm basing my opinion on, whether the technology works or not. Some people find it ghoulish. I have to admit, I don't really understand that. That's why I think it’s more of a psychological reaction some people have to the very idea of it. Uncanny Valley and all that stuff never really gets to me. I don't know, maybe the area of the brain that registers disgust and revulsion in such things just doesn't work for me.

But going back to the tweet. I think that is just someone going for the jugular, and making it a personal insult towards Hamill rather than the deepfake technolog itself. I mean, maybe I'm reading it wrong, but he seems to basically be telling Hamill to go to bed because he's too old now.

12. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Yeah, I wish this was as layered, nuanced, and morally grey as Star Wars Resistance, which must truly be recognized as the successor to Breaking Bad and The Wire as a stirring examination of corrupted souls for our day and age.

Pro Scoundrel , EHT, Sarge and 3 others like this.
  13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I can see how the tweet may sound mean spirited. But it is an intresting question, is certain actors/Actress too attached to their characters. Like it seems Hamill had more fun being 25 again then his older and wiser character. Are Disney/LFL afraid to recast characters in same timeline as OT and such. Is Deepfake the key to this, like Luke Skywalker will always be Deepfake going forward. Tarkin ans Leia deepfakes in Andor. Will Han and Lando be Deepfake if they appear post ROTJ.

14. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    It’s also a wildly hypocritical tweet, considering Harrison Ford is about to star as an 80-year-old Indiana Jones, a role which he believes should not be recast after he’s done, in a film where he will also be de-aged to how he looked in the 1980s.

And I’m not saying that as a dig to Harrison Ford. This is directed at the tweeter, who’s just bitter almost five years later at out-of-context comments Hamill made towards TLJ, a movie I like but don’t treat like it’s my only personality trait.

15. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

When did I say Star Wars Resistance was any of that

it new what it wanted to be and embraced it

Favrue with Book of Boba was all over the place

I’d rather watch Resistance than book of boba any day

would rather watch Resistance than Breaking Bad too but I couldn’t give a care about breakimg bad to be honest

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2022
  16. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    What was Resistance trying to be?

2Cleva and Sarge like this.
  17. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I agree with Favreau’s quote all the way. Didn’t want to see Boba roaming the galaxy murdering people for money either. The idea for the show is sound for Star Wars. It’s the execution of that idea that was sorely lacking, IMO, in terms of writing, directing and acting.

Last edited: May 7, 2022
  18. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I don't think he has a point at all.

Those in charge offered Hamill to play that role again. It seems rather weird to act as if Hamill was guarding that role and they were forced to let him play it. They wanted him to do it, provided he was interested. It's even weirder to compare that to Harrison Ford, who clearly wasn't going to play young Han Solo and wasn't even asked about it. It's just odd to try and make this about the actors, when the general decision wasn't made by them.

That doesn't even include the fact, that the Han Solo in Solo was younger than any time Harrison Ford had played him, while the Luke Skywalker in The Mandalorian and Book of Boba Fett came in between two performances by Mark Hamill. There is a difference between one actor playing a young version of a role and another actor playing an older version on the one side, and an actor playing the young and old version of a role, with another actor playing the role in between.

Last edited: May 7, 2022
  19. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Agreed.

This tweet is a disgustingly stupid cheap shot.

Riv_Shiel, Bor Mullet, 2Cleva and 2 others like this.
  20. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Completely uncalled for, did he make similar comments about Michael Douglas and Sam Jackson in the MCU?

21. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Hey if they are willing to put the big money, effects and hard work into making a CGI luke Skywalker then whatever. But chances are there are limitations to using that method compared to a recast.

22. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I remember the old Dakr Horse Boba Fett comics from the 90's which probably saw about how far you could take a "walking action scene only" version of Boba. They could be fun, but lost any real appeal for a re-read.

And I think the show's problem was that its patchwork construction of three decent-to-great ideas never had anyone dedicate time to making sure the connective tissue was up to snuff, and that the weakest of the good ideas wound up as the climax. They clearly had the ability to make a great "Boba goes Tusken" story, an utterly fantastic Din and Grogu two-parter, and the idea of Din helping Boba on a Rancor against Cad Bane. That's about 4-epsiodes worth of content... but for a 6 episode show based off Boba, it's not quite enough... and they didn't construct a good enough two episodes off the "Boba rises to power" premise needed to connect his new origin to that fight with Cad Bane they wanted.

Favreau's quote is proved in Boba's Tusken backstory, but the execution of his change in the present is lacking, so he ends up just twiddling his thumbs in the modern story until its time for $#!+ to go down.

If someone wanted to do the whole "edit this series into a compilation movie" thing, they'd probably just take the flashbacks, add them to the end credits scene of The Mandalorian Season 2, add the dinner scene, then have Fennec's scenes with Din from his episode, and then have everything from Din's talk with Cobb to the end of the show... and probably be good.

It's everything leading up to the final confrontation that is weak.

23. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I would just edit the flashback material into a movie that leads to the Mando Season 2 ep. It shows Boba's journey, shows how he joined up with Fennec, and shows how he became involved with the Mandoverse story. That's all we needed. If you watch the story that way, and skip the "Crime Lord" story, it works great. If you include any of the crime lord stuff, then just go from killing Bib Fortuna, to the final ep.

godisawesome likes this.
  24. Darth Baga

Darth Baga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2021
    After doing some reflection, I've come to appreciate the narrative potential of redeeming a morally flawed character like Boba Fett. This video essay helped persuade me.

But I still think the execution of this arc was lacking. None of it really seemed organic. Plus I think the show was marketed poorly. It probably wouldn't have been anywhere near as polarising if they had put Boba's redemption at the forefront of the trailers, not the crimeboss thing. It was misleading and left a lot fans feeling disappointed.

whostheBossk and godisawesome like this.
  25. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    His fireside conversation with Fennec comes the closest to showing where the organic transformation could have occurred and I'd argue that it might even have been close to "enough" if the modern day setting didn't waste time on the "inept crime lord" shenanigans.

It always could have been as simple as Boba just early on saying "I want Jabba's Palace, I want his fortune, and I want his city" and then having Fennec or someone else ask about the criminal empire and just get a shrug from Boba.