main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters ♡ The OTP & Pairing Thread ♡ | Challenge #33 is up: How They Met! (1/28, p. 90, #2231)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Captain Rakkaus, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Hi everyone,

Before I switch over to the sock and post the next challenge, I would like to say a few things. I won’t repeat what @Mira_Jade, @devilinthedetails, and @Gabri_Jade have already very eloquently said about the nature of this thread, its challenges, what it means/doesn’t mean to win them, etc.; they’ve already said what needs to be said in that area. But in the interest of transparency, I did want to say a word about how I count and handle the votes that come in.

I administer three threads that feature regular (or semi-regular) votable challenges: this one, the OC Revolution thread, and the Fanon Thread. For every challenge I run in these threads, I put together a spreadsheet or a list to tally the votes. When it’s voting time and a vote comes in by PM, I add it to that spreadsheet or list. Then I PM the voter back with something like “Vote gotten and counted, thanks!” That’s partly just to let them know, of course, but partly for record-keeping purposes on my own end, so I know whom I’ve counted. As thread hostess, I MYSELF NEVER VOTE, and while I may enter a story myself in one of my threads’ challenges if I’m inspired to, I ALWAYS ENTER OUT OF COMPETITION. So I can assure you that:
    1. 100% of all votes that come in on any given challenge come from people other than myself; and
    2. zero of the stories that get voted on in any given challenge come from me!
    Hopefully that clarifies a few things and assuages some concerns, and you’re welcome to ask any questions if you have them. And with that, on to our very special 25th challenge! :)

Last edited: May 8, 2022
  2. Captain Rakkaus

Captain Rakkaus Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2015
    Aaaand it’s new challenge time once again! But this is not just any OTP challenge. To celebrate the twenty-fifth challenge to be posted in this thread, I am pleased to present...

OTP Challenge #25: The OTP Thread Challenge of Challenges!

That's right, everyone, get ready for some truly meta OTP fun: in this challenge, the OTP thread’s past challenges themselves will serve as your prompts! Here's how it will work. There are several steps, so please read carefully:
    1. Go to Random.org and use their number generator to give you a number between 1 and 24, because that is the number of challenges that this thread has run since it began (not yet including this one). It’s OK (and desirable!) if multiple people end up with the same number.
    2. Go to this thread’s list of Competitive Challenges (part of post #2) and find the challenge with that number.
    3. Click on the “Announcement and Index” link for that challenge, read the instructions, and write a story following them.
      1. For challenges that involve roulettes and/or lists of prompts, simply choose your prompt(s) from those available, those used by past writers, or in keeping with the theme of the challenge. (E.g., in the Fairy Tale Challenge, you could choose “The Ugly Duckling” as your fairy tale prompt even if none of the participants in the original challenge happened to write something based on that tale.)
      2. For challenges that don’t involve roulettes or prompt lists, just write a story based on whatever instructions are there.
    4. When you post your story, please also specify which previous challenge it is based on, just as a reminder to me!
    5. If the challenge you receive really, really, really doesn’t do it for you, you are allowed one (1) do-over, but only one (1) do-over.
    6. TOS and honor system apply, as always.
    7. Any questions, just ask!
    And that’s it! Stories are due in eight (8) weeks, on July 3 at 11:59 pm (23:59) Pacific Time.

Enjoy, and happy writing to all! [face_dancing]

Challenge Index
    Anedon (6. Fairy Tale Challenge): The Beast and the Beauty (Eryl Besa and OC Francesco de Comte)
    WarmNyota_SweetAyesha (15. Things You Said, #28): All's Coming Along Nicely (OC Sevrina and Kyp Durron)
    devilinthedetails (3. Holiday Love): A Year in Birthdays (Shmi Skywalker Lars and Cliegg Lars; nonvoting)
    Findswoman (16. Milestones, Choose Your Own)
    amidalachick (22. Our Song + Plot Point Roulette; Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Day, "Chinatown" by Bleachers ft. Bruce Springsteen): Alright To Keep It Light Now
    Gabri_Jade (18. 5+1): The Story So Far (OCs Ronan and Nadira Jade)
    ViariSkywalker (15. Things You Said): We Make Our Own Luck (Tahiri Veila and OC Demetrius Ulin)
    Kahara (12. Landscape of Love)
    Starith (10. Date Nite Gon Rong): Us Time (comic; Anakin Skywalker and Padmé Amidala Skywalker)
    Raissa Baiard (10. Date Nite Gon Rong)
    Mira_Jade (4. Romance Quotes, #9 and #17)
    Tarsier (15. Things You Said, #28): Things You Said in the Dark (NSW: L&OOC; Jet and Malachi)
    earlybird-obi-wan (16. Milestones): A Red Disaster (OCs Tarko and Kaia)
    Kit’ (13. City Mouse, Country Mouse): The Briar and the Rose (OCs Nicco D'ladame and Bryer Ducat)
    Pandora (2. Romcom in Space)

Ad-hoc entries:
    Alright To Keep It Light Now by amidalachick

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
  3. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    Oh yes, and once you’ve chosen a number and found out which past challenge it is, please post it here so I can write it down on the index! Thanks much! :D

4. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    So I rolled a 6 on that side. So it would be the fairy Tale challenge.
    Would pick Cinderella because it hasn`t been done before and I actually already have some characters in mind for it.

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Woot! I got #15. Things You Said and I am going to pick #28. Things you Said in the Dark. Haven't decided on the pairing yet. [face_thinking]

6. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I got Challenge 3-Holiday Love. Sounds yummy and sweet[face_love]

I think I might be inspired to write a Shmi/Cliegg piece, but we'll see what the muse is inspired to create in the end!

7. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I got 16, Milestones! Which I think can make work with a story idea I already have, if I go the “choose your own” route… [face_thinking] :D

8. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    Oh, what a cool idea and such a great way to celebrate 25 challenges! :D

I have a couple of questions, though, sorry! I couldn't resist trying a number and the result was #22, "Our Song + Plot Point Roulette". I never posted the fic I wrote for that one (not here, anyway :p) so first I just wanted to double-check that it's okay to use a new song and plot point for this challenge.

Second, since not all of the prompts were taken for that one, is it okay to just pick from the plot points already listed there? I'd still use the random number generator, just with 11 options instead of 15.

Thank you as always for all the work you put into these awesome challenges!

9. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    Er... would it be OK if I made a comic for a prompt instead of a written story?

10. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
  11. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    I got #15, Things You Said. [face_thinking]

12. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    Yay! Wonderful to see so many takers—I’ve got everyone who’s chosen a number recorded in the index. :) Now to answer a few questions:

Yes, it’s absolutely fine to pick a new song and plot point! Anyone is welcome to do that, even if you had a prompt in the challenge the first time around that you didn’t get to write.

Yes, that’s totally fine, too, and whether you use the random number generator or not is completely up to you!

You’re very welcome! :)

Yes, that is totally fine! Do let me know which number and which challenge you end up with, and I’ll add it to the index above. :)

13. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    #12, The Landscape of Love -- I might just go with my original prompt for that one that I never did manage to write! :p We'll see.

14. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    I got #10, ''Date Nite Gon Rong''. Drawing it up already...

15. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oooh, this is such a great idea for a challenge, and a perfect way to celebrate how far this thread has come! Though I'd never expect anything less from our hostess, of course. ;) [face_love]

As for me, I got Challenge #4 - OTP Quotes. (My, but that brought back a few memories. :p) The random number generator further picked out quotes #9 and #17 for me, as per the challenge instructions.

09. "I wanted to see you again, touch you, know who you were, see if I would find you identical with the ideal image of you which had remained with me and perhaps shatter my dream with the aid of reality." (Victor Hugo, The Hunchback of Notre Dame)

17. How many loved your moments of glad grace,
    And loved your beauty with love false or true,
    But one man loved the pilgrim soul in you,
    And loved the sorrows of your changing face.
    (William Butler Yeats, When You Are Old)

Those actually fit together quite nicely! I may have an idea in mind already. [face_thinking] [face_mischief]

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    @Mira_Jade ... =P~

Yumsy!

When I read Landscape of Love above, I remembered the fun romp you had for that, I believe, it involved Han and Leia and Anakin and Padme in a wonderful Han and Anakin on an adventure [face_laugh] [face_batting]

17. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    I also got #10, Date Night Gon Rong. I’ve had a story featuring Wren and Kaz simmering on the back burner for a loooong time. Maybe DRL will finally cooperate and I can finish it for this challenge. (BWAHAHAHA, right…. 8-})

18. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    Thank you for the answers @Captain Rakkaus! :)

I used the random number generator to pick a plot point and it fits nicely with an idea I had for a long-neglected Mini-Games prompt inspired by a song as well.

So, I don't know if I'll actually get anything done but nonetheless my prompts will be: Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Day using the song "Chinatown" by Bleachers ft. Bruce Springsteen.

So excited to see what everyone comes up with for this one! :D

19. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Noticed the Landscape of Love challenge get a couple of mentions above (I missed it before and certainly wouldn't mind seeing a Landscape Redux challenge one of these days ;)), and I was wondering @Captain Rakkaus, is it possible to claim a number for an old challenge? Not to use for the current challenge but just as an on-the-side thing? [face_batting]

20. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    All righty doo, list updated! :D I’ve also added specific sub prompts, etc., where people have specified them, but it’s totally OK if you didn’t.

Just a quick reminder that if you end up with a roulette/list challenge, you don’t have to also use the random number generator to chose a prompt from that challenge—you are also free to choose a suitable one from those that are listed there or any other that’s suitable for the theme. It’s a totally optional thing! :)

And answering @ViariSkywalker ’s question:

Yes, this is always possible and completely fine! I’ll even add it to that challenge’s out-of-competition index if you let me know once it’s done. :)

21. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Awesome, thank you! In that case, could I have #10 for the Landscape of Love challenge? It looks like no one ever claimed that one. :D

amidalachick, Tarsier, Kahara and 3 others like this.
  22. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    Yes, absolutely—you get Village. :)

23. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I'm in. I got Challenge #15—"Things You Said": All-Dialogue Minifics, which actually sounds kinda perfect....

24. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I got challenge #16 Milestones and yes that will work for my OC's

amidalachick, Tarsier, Kahara and 5 others like this.
  25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    amidalachick, Tarsier, Kahara and 3 others like this.