main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Mini Series The Inquisitors (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by nld3, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Darthvader1975

Darthvader1975 Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2020
    I get fans issues with how the GI looks in live action but.......

Would you rather no GI? I mean its always going to look a bit different.

We are getting the Inquisitors in live action. Can we not be grateful that we are getting a look at one of the most interesting groups in the SW franchise.

It just seems like we are never happy.

Typical SW fans. Im sorry I just hate negativity for the sake of it.

KyleKartan and Ithorians like this.
  2. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    As one of those who this post is directed at, I am not ungrateful nor am I 'never happy', in fact quite the opposite. And how is it just for the sake of it?

I think the discussion has been pretty balanced overall to be fair. I am extremely happy to have the GI in live action as I thought the inquisitors were a great addition to Rebels and I am one of the likely few who didn't mind the Sabre-copters either. To me, I just don't like the GI design, he doesn't look like any other version of Pau'an that we've seen in comics, movies or shows and looks essentially like a vampire and it is jarring to me. I have no issue with any of the other inquisitors from what we've seen. This is just one design crossover that doesn't work for me and it is just my opinion, an opinion from someone who is hardly ever negative toward designs and costumes.

Doesn't mean I won't get over it for a show I am EXTREMELY looking forward to.

Last edited: May 9, 2022
  3. Darthvader1975

May 2, 2020
    Sorry man Im not directing it at anyone, I get it that his look is jarring for some. For me Im glad that we have them in live action. I just hope it doesnt take away from what could be the best thing since Mando in the SW universe. Id just like a bit more positivity.

KyleKartan likes this.
  4. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    If it helps, I love everything else about it we've seen from the trailers and have said as much. :)

cwustudent likes this.
  5. Darthvader1975

May 2, 2020
    Well thats great. The only big issue I would have is if these characters (and others) are not written properly or are proverbial cardboard cutouts a la TKOR. Id hate it if a lot of these get little characterization. I think thats a lot worse imo

6. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    If the biggest entertainment firm in the world won't do it right, then honestly and reasonably, I'd rather no. Stuff him under a helmet, or write him out.

7. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    My problem is less that the GI doesn't look like the animated version and more that it's just a poor design, whether practical or CG.

Overall, I'm still positive about Kenobi and I'm hoping this hideous design work doesn't detract too much from the story. However, it's like a bad movie where you might not be able to get into it if the poor design of the FX is too distracting.

This obviously isn't just about fans wanting to be negative since I praise some things about the trailer and criticise others. Why should any of us feel we can't express our reactions because some of you desire absolute positivity? A very strange demand!

Slater, Riv_Shiel, wobbits and 4 others like this.
  8. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I do feel it was great to have the Grand Inquisitor in live action. It would have been a missed opportunity for the Inquisitorius to show up and not their leader.

In the end, it's just a matter of taste. When I think in the Inquisitors, I think in characters that could have been around in the OT. Characters I've actually pictured as mostly human for like 30 years. So, when I think of which would work better in, say, TESB between this:
    [​IMG]
    And this:

[​IMG]
    ... There is absolutely no doubt in my mind about the answer. Of course, since its a matter of taste, opinions may and will vary on the matter. I just hope that we get such a good treatment of them in the series (looks great to me so far, by the trailers) that the looks will become a minor thing in the big picture.

9. Darthvader1975

May 2, 2020
    I'm just disappointed at the negativity about the design aspect of one character who we have yet to see properly in an episode. I think Rupert friend will do a great job. My hope for the character is that he's written well.

RetropME and KyleKartan like this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Out of curiosity, what are some examples of what you consider great design work?

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Sometimes it's warranted. Should people have just accepted that abominable first design for live-action Sonic under the conceit "hey be thankful we're getting LA Sonic at all"? It's not negativity for the sake of it, it's recognizing bad creative decisions and speaking out about them. Now obviously in this case there's nothing they can do to fix GI's look, but I'd wager if he ever shows up in live action again he'll get a redesign so he's at least closer to the Tion Meddon look if nothing else.

12. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    Go look at a child's picture, and it would be better than this.

@Darthvader1975

If the GI looks better live than my gastrointestinal issues (as he does now), then I'll come back to celebrate the amazing work!

Sproj likes this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Children often have great design sense. Until they learn bad design.

14. Cos Palpatine

Cos Palpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2022
    I also didn't mind the sabre-copters...in a cartoon.
    Just not in live-action please :)

RetropME and Sproj like this.
  15. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    I doubt that. I have plenty of work from my nieces and nephews to know they know very little about design basics. Maybe they have some "sense" for color intensity, but they don't understand color contrast. The expressionists, who I love, were inspired by children's painting for their asymmetrical forms and emotional, expressive brushstrokes, but such things work against design basics (and children don't do this intentionally, hence the illegible quality of kid's work).

Like the principle of contrast, for instance. If the contrast isn't strong, then the desired effect will often be lost on the audience. The GI's face seems to lack strong contrast in at least two ways: the markings are not bright red any longer but a duller maroon something that removes distinctness from them such that they might as well not be there. Also, the white lines on the forehead are similarly too fine and barely register in many shots. They might as well have just gone with a totally white head.

16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    That's good. Then he can act like he doesn't look terrible. :)
    That is a ridiculously false dichotomy. It isn't bad GI or no GI at all. Some of us would like good GI. GI that looks like the species he's supposed to belong to.
    Not that different. This isn't Indie filmmaking. LFL has all the resources in the world. Don't give them a free pass for sub-standard work because you're excited. You can be excited, and still point out problems. I am, and I do.

17. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I'm not as disappointed as you, but you're right that they need to do better if they want to establish themselves as industry leader. I was a lot more disappointed in how they did Cad Bane, because he's one of my favorite characters and they didn't get his vibe right. He wasn't cool like in TCW, wasn't a cowboy, guess I adjusted expectations after that. GI looks different, but I can still see them getting his vibe right, imposing, diabolical, somewhat alien, we'll see.

18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Even in Rebels the Grand Inquisitor looks different from Tion Medon. He’s more pale and the lines on his face are more subtle. The major difference between this and the cartoon is the shape of his head and his eyes not being yellow. To me that isn’t a big deal.

19. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Rupert Friend could have earned twice as much for the role if he had only agreed to putting his head in an industrial press.

20. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    What if he just likes it?

On the other hand, I'm finding this assumption that EVERY Pau´an to ever inhabit the GFFA looks exactly like Tion Medon intriguing... But maybe it is so. So what could this guy be? Let me see...
    [​IMG]
    A Pau`an warrior, from ROTS 3.75 line, released in 2005. Round head? Check. Thin lines? Check. Needs a tan? Check. Confirmed, this is Rupert Friend!

21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Starting with Rogue One’s Admiral Raddus, I’ve liked the tendency to make aliens of the same species look different. You know, like humans. So I’m actually glad he doesn’t look like Tion Medon. Plus, I find the Hellraiser-esque big fat white head to be scary. Super whiteness scares me these days.

Last edited: May 10, 2022
  22. Darthvader1975

May 2, 2020

This. They dont all have to look like Tion Medon. You still can tell the species.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I think people are missing the point in how Medon and GI look different. It's not "oh, Rupert Friend isn't a clone of Bruce Spence, ergo it sucks" it's "oh, this design for a Pau'an is drastically different from the ones in ROTS and Rebels and a step down from LFL's usual makeup and prosthetic work". Let's break it down-

Head lines- extremely prominent in ROTS, a little less so in Rebels, subdued in OWK
    Eyes- all black in ROTS, yellow iris with black sclera in Rebels, a little hard to tell but seemingly brown/black iris with white sclera in OWK
    Teeth- long and pointed in ROTS and Rebels, a little hard to tell but seemingly short and flat-topped in OWK
    Head shape- this is the one I'll concede is trivial, but more elongated than a human's is generally the standard in every depiction

Fact is, any time I look at Friend as the inquisitor, I have to stretch my imagination to believe he's a Pau'an. There's plenty of room for species to vary in looks, but this is more than just a little variance, it's a completely different makeup/prosthetic job that's rubbing more than a few people the wrong way. And it's doubly disappointing in a franchise that has been known for some crazy good alien designs. For a recent example in an LFL D+ show look at Kuiil- a practical reimagining of an old design, but it's still recognizably the same species, they didn't skimp on any designs there, and it was still for a good sized role with the actor getting plenty physical. Then even more recently we had Cad Bane and the crime bosses- all very recognizably members of their respective species, and all utilizing teeth prosthetics, though of course their roles are probably smaller than GI's will be.

In the end it's not going to make or break anything for me, but I do feel it's a shame when we know what LFL is capable of and then they give us something not up to their usual standards. Maybe there's a number of factors that brought us this design, so I for one hope it's a unique situation and not an indicator that they might continue to skimp on LA alien designs in other shows.

Slater, Riv_Shiel, cwustudent and 2 others like this.
  24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I think I may be more open to this live action interpretation because I am creeped out by Klaus Kinski's Nosferatu, whereas I have never been creeped out by a Pau'an.

25. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    At this point I’m just going to assume GI isn’t Pau’an anymore.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.