main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Which Movie Introduced the Best New Planets?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by MidKnighT, Apr 10, 2022.

?

Which Movie Introduced the Best New Planets?

1. A New Hope: Tatooine and Yavin IV

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  2. Empire Strikes Back: Hoth, Degobah, Bespin

13 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Return of the Jedi: Endor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Phantom Menace: Naboo, Gungan City

9 vote(s)
    17.3%
  5. Attack of the Clones: Coruscant, Kamino, Geonosis

20 vote(s)
    38.5%
  6. Revenge of the Sith: Utapau, Kashyyyk, Mustafar

8 vote(s)
    15.4%
  7. The Force Awakens: Jakku, Takodana, D’Qar, Starkiller Base

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. The Last Jedi: Ahch-To, Cantonica, Crait

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  9. Rise of Skywalker: Pasaana, Kijimi, Exegol

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    One thing I love is that nearly every time Lucas went back to a planet, he brought us something new. Tatooine is in 4 of the 6 movies (ignoring the "Harry Potter" scene in ROTS); Coruscant is in 3 of the 6 movies (ignoring the celebration at the end of 6, though that technically was the first time we saw it) and every time we re-visit those planets we got something new.

We went back to Tatooine in 6. We saw Jabba's palace (including the dungeons, and the rancor), and the Dune Sea with the Sarlacc pitt. We saw it again in 1, and we saw Mos Espa, the slave hovels, junk dealers, the pod race. We went back again in 2 and we saw the search montage and the Tusken camp.
    When we saw Coruscant again in 2, we not only got to see Padme's apartment, the streets, the traffic, the night club, and Dex' diner, we also saw more of the Jedi temple (the library, the hangar), and more of government (Palpatine's office). In ROTS, we got the opera, the military hangar, and extended looks (extended sets) into Padme's apartment and Palpatine's office.

And I think that's pretty cool.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
  2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    We see the main locations of Coruscant in TPM, with time taken to be introduced to them. Getting to Coruscant is the goal of the first half of the movie, and we spend decent time there at the Senate and Jedi Council, and sweeping shots around Coruscant. As stated earlier, many disagree with you that Coruscant was introduced in AOTC.

oierem likes this.
  3. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    I thought Coruscant looked the best in TPM.

ANH gave us Dex’s diner after all

4. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Maybe you need to work a little on your reading comprehension? Here is what I wrote:

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    My reading comprehension is fine. I disagree. It comes alive in TPM plenty, and I think most people agree with that. It should be listed under TPM. There's a grand tour of Coruscant in TPM, and just a few new random locations of it in AOTC.

oierem and Watcherwithin like this.
  6. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    To each his own! I prefer AOTC Coruscant.

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    You can prefer it. But Coruscant was introduced in TPM.

8. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    And for the nth time, I never denied that :rolleyes:

9. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
  10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Well it’s a different question :p

11. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    unpopular opinion: The Last Jedi. Crait in particular is magical with the salt flats and red crystal caves.

12. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    I do agree that that's the best new planet of the ST IMO.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  13. The Emotional Jedi

The Emotional Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 18, 2021
    TPM. I love Naboo so much <3

Happy Sando and PrincessLeia17 like this.
  14. Darth Baga

Darth Baga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2021
    I was always astonished by the variety of planets in Revenge of the Sith. From Kashyyyk, Mustafar to Utapao. It definitely felt like the most epic Star Wars film in terms of scope.

15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    This one's tough. I acknowledge that each SW film has one or two interesting new planets, and I enjoy so many. I went with AOTC. I just really enjoyed the beauty of Naboo, the vastness of Coruscant-especially the Jedi temple, and the whole Kamino sequence is one of my favorites in SW. Geonosis is okay, but I love the battle sequence towards the climax. And although it wasn't technically "new," I really enjoyed that we saw Tattooine in both a familiar AND a new way!

I suppose ROTS comes close, simply cos of the exoticness of the planets, and there are so many-if we include Order 66 (and why wouldn't we?). As mentioned, it truly felt epic in terms of scope. Not to mention Kashyyyk is my favorite planet in all of the films.

Last edited: May 10, 2022
  16. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    But neither Naboo nor Tatooine are INTRODUCED in AOTC (not Coruscant either, in fact). So they shouldn't really count here.
    Only Kamino (which I agree is awesome) and Geonosis are actually introduced in AOTC.

17. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I know. But for me the collection of all those-and the events that occur on them-are what makes AOTC the one most enjoyable to me, locations-wise at least.

Regarding Coruscant, I am one of those who agree with some of the conversation on this thread that has been posted previously; although Coruscant first appeared in TPM (ROTJ if we're being hyper-accurate), it wasn't really "featured" or fleshed out as a planet until AOTC.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  18. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Attack of the Clones, easy. Every new world in that one feels like it is plucked right from a 50s pulp sci-fi novel cover. Kamino is probably my favorite planet in all of Star Wars.

19. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    It's a tough choice, a lot of great ones I-VI.

I went with ESB. Hoth, Dagobah, and Bespin are all great.

Honorable mentions to Tatooine, Naboo, Gungan City (and THE PLANET CORE), and Kamino.

PrincessLeia17 likes this.
  20. PrincessLeia17

PrincessLeia17 Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 8, 2023
    Attack of the Clones came instantly to mind. Not only were the planets cool, the way they were brought in was continuous with the the storyline and how different characters were brought in. Kamino with Jango Fett, little Boba, and the clones! Seeing the Slave 1 in the rain! Super cool! There’s just something about it all, haha!

There’s a secondary vote from me for Naboo. To this day it’s one of my favourite planets.

Wait, I also like Hoth. And Endor… but that’s a moon so doesn’t count. Lol.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2023
    Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  21. Awushi Awere

Awushi Awere Jedi Knight star 2

May 11, 2020
    My ranking for that terms:
    1. TESB
    2. AOTC
    3. ROTS
    4. TROS
    5. ANH
    6. TLJ