main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Mini Series The Inquisitors (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by nld3, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    How old is the Grand Inquisitor by the way, Pau'an can age up to 500 years.

2. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    The universal you fallacy, eh? Good one.

They should have just gone with the Son, who the GI was already too close to:

[​IMG]

Essentially each version of the Pau'ans have lost increasing depth to their facial lines. Why even use the species if they are nearly unrecognizable as Pau'ans?

@Todd the Jedi people want to pretend this argument is only about new interpretation when many of us could care less about that -- much of the problem is the cheap/poor design quality some attempt to label minimalism. But minimalism isn't a synonym for bad, just less.

Last edited: May 10, 2022
    cwustudent likes this.
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Calm down before we impose nap time for everyone. It was clearly a general usage of "you".

Bor Mullet likes this.
  4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think fans thinks about the son appearance too mutch. And Grand Inquisitor looks different from him.

5. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Not much. The new GI looks more like the son than he does the Rebels GI.

6. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    I think Pau'un heads are sensitive to micro-changes in gravity. It's the only in-universe explanation I'm sure.

I'm also sure when we see Rupert Friend cruelly kick some ass, we won't care so much about his features.

(The general usage of "we").

Krueger likes this.
  7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Here are a bunch of different human heads.

[​IMG]

8. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Who all work at Microsoft.

9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Then he should have just said that instead of having a go at people who don't. I was responding to his false dichotomy, and his assertion that people are...
    Which is hardly ever the case. It's an insulting generalization that's thrown around as a way to ignore discussion and shame criticism.

No, thanks. I'll continue to post my actual impressions of what we're seeing.
    Which is not actually happening. Try it without the hyperbole, and actually read what people are saying. If you like it, that's fair. Attempting to mischaracterize criticisms with hyperbole is poor form.

Todd already addressed this...

Last edited: May 10, 2022
  10. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Since you ask me to read what people are saying, and its no doubt a good advice, I ask you to do the same. My question was made because when you posted this:

You sounded like saying that the "sub-standard work" (referring to GI make up) is not an opinion, but a fact, and therefore it must be that this fact is being ignored for the sake of excitement. When someone describes his/her impressions on any matter here, I imagine its safe to assume that the readers are dealing with opinions, not facts. So I wasn't trying to criticize your post, I was just wondering if you considered the possibility that for some people, the "sub-standard work" is not so. And that's what I wrote. Genuine question, referring to the passage from your post that I had quoted. That why I phrased it as a question, and that's why I didn't quote other passages of previous conversations.

The criticism to the make up has more than once come from the fact that the head is not elongated enough, the lines are not deep enough, the skin texture isn't right. These are traits corresponding to what some seem to expect form a correctly shaped Pau`an head, and it makes sense indeed, because it matches Tion Medon to the letter. I posted an image of a design from ROTS that doesn't share any of those characteristics as closely as in Medon´s design. The Pau`an warrior looks closer to the Grand Inquisitor than to Tion Medon, under those parameters. So I was stating, just as others members have before and after me, that it is possible that there isn't just one way to look like a Pau`an.

I clearly understand that some people are disappointed by the execution, more than the concept. That's absolutely fair enough. But I was addressing something else: the criticism that is based in the idea of matching Tion Medon´s characteristics with defining a "real looking" Pau`an. And that's what I wrote about.

11. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    An actual, sensible explanation for the difference between head sizes of Tion Medon and the Grand Inquisitor.

Of course, we are talking about how the same character's appearance has changed and I think the change will be even less of an issue when we see the show.

I wish I'd used those smiley human heads for my silly joke about gravity. (Are all humans archetypally smiling because of this line-up? How dare anyone be different! ).

12. Darthvader1975

Darthvader1975 Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2020
    Which is hardly ever the case. It's an insulting generalization that's thrown around as a way to ignore discussion and shame criticism.

No, thanks. I'll continue to post my actual impressions of what we're seeing.

Ive highlighted this response to me from a previous response. By all means criticize away what we are seeing but as much as you're entitled to that some of us are also entitled to post about the general negativity posted towards a character that has so far been only seen in trailers for the show. Its more important for me that the GI, who despite having Darth Vader in it, is probably the main villain, that he acts the way hes been portrayed previously. I want the character to be written properly and despite the fact his look doesnt tick all the boxes for some, acts like the GI should. If he does then thats a major plus for me. We all still know who he is by how he looks......

13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I think aesthetics are critically important for Star Wars. In fact, I think they are essential. It’s highly visual mythic storytelling, and I believe its success from the beginning has more to do with brilliant design than it does with narrative. So I don’t scoff when people express concerns in this arena - including for the Inquisitors. And if you’re a creative type, these things can make or break a show or movie for you (I’m that kind of person). In this case, I just happen to appreciate the design. Fits my perception of a Star Wars aesthetic well enough, even though I would have personally made a few different design decisions.

Last edited: May 11, 2022
    The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  14. Darthvader1975

Darthvader1975 Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2020
    Yes Star wars is built on aesthetics, look and feel perhaps more then most franchises but how a character behaves is also important.

15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    In this instance I do have to wonder if LFL really put the proper effort into convincing Rupert Friend that surgery to reshape his skull would have produced more recognizable results.

Sproj, Ithorians and Bor Mullet like this.
  16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Apparently Rupert Friend declined, citing "work-life balance." Typical millennial snowflake.

17. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    You mean the toy image you posted? My apologies, I thought you were kidding. If we're basing the quality of character design on what a toy looked like, then we're using different standards. I'm basing it on the only Pau'ans that we've gotten a good look at, which is these guys.
    [​IMG]

Only one of whom looks exactly alike Tion Medon, but they give a clear example of the design George chose for the species, in a live action setting. As Todd said, variations are expected, but this is more than a simple variation. Again, it's fair for anyone who likes it, but when comments start popping up that mischaracterize or attempt to belittle/insult those who criticize it, then that raises my ire.
    Yes, it's an opinion, but the point was that the suggestion of "negativity for it's own sake" can be countered with "liking something bad just because of excitement". That's why these kind of pot shots should be left out of discussion. Otherwise, it's fair game to "return fire" when "attacked".
    If the three above were willing to make the sacrifice, then I don't see why Rupert should object. :)

Slater, The Chalk Jedi, Sproj and 5 others like this.
  18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I also think it’s entirely possible that the Grand Inquisitor looks different because of his corruption in the dark side. Look at Palpatine. Doesn’t look anything like a normal human.

19. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    The G.I. is probably a Southern Pau'an.

Sproj likes this.
  20. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I definitely agree about that white skin being a sign of dark side corruption. But the rest I have a harder time believing. Dark side corruption is usually just shown in the skin and eyes.

The Chalk Jedi and cwustudent like this.
  21. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    It would be insane to think that there is only one race in the Pau'an species, but this is hardly a new argument for this franchise.

22. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    He's a pau'an, just a lazily designed one. It's a pity, but it's true. Case closed.

23. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Let's just say he hails from a different part of Utapau and call it a day. I do admit that they clearly went for a more subtle approach to his design, a bit like with Ahsoka's head tails, and maybe could have gone a little more “out there”. Artistic license and all that. It happens. I'm willing to look over things like that.

24. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, this is space fantasy, not Intergalactic Anthropology. Consistency of design, and a certain standard of prosthetics shouldn't be treated like an unacceptable ask.

And I should point out that stating things like "Dark side corruption" and "Different races of Pau'ans", as a reason for the different design, is an admission that this design does look quite different than Pau'ans we've seen before. We all just have different reactions to this difference. Some like it, some don't. Nothing new about that.

Thank you for this point. I have no problem at all with those who don't mind the difference. I just don't like the rest of us being treated like we're imagining things, or insane for not immediately liking or accepting the redesign.

Slater, The Chalk Jedi, Sproj and 2 others like this.
  25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Grand Inquisitor is cross breed of human and Pauan, there easy.:p