main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Do the Sequels increase or decrease the value of the saga to you?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Weavile, May 11, 2022.

?

Did the Sequels have a positive impact on the Star Wars saga to you?

1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    26.4%
  2. No

64 vote(s)
    73.6%
  1. Darth Weavile

Darth Weavile Jedi Master star 3

Oct 10, 2017
    My opinion would be a resounding no. If anything, I think the Sequels greatly detract from the originals and prequel trilogy, basically giving all of the original trio and Anakin’s accomplishments to Rey, while trashing the original characters legacies. After episode 9, ZERO progress has been made since ROTJ, and if anything, the fate of the galaxy is even more uncertain. What’s to stop Palpatine from coming back again? The entire Skywalker bloodline has been wiped out and now a Palpatine posing as a Skywalker is the last remaining Jedi. There’s no joy seeing Rey standing as the last remaining Jedi in the final movie after burying the Skywalker lightsabers on Tatooine of all places.

I would’ve like the Sequels to expand on Luke, Leia, and Han’s legacy, instead of tearing them down. I wanted to see Anakin’s grandchildren continue the Skywalker line in a positive fashion. I would’ve liked to see the New Republic and Luke’s Jedi Order face a brand new threat, but unfortunately the status quo reset brought everything back to square one, and thus it basically renders the sequels pointless. IN MY OPINION. Curious to hear what others think.

Last edited: May 11, 2022
  2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
  3. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    YES.

4. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Yes. A very positive impact. And do we really need another thread saying the Sequels are bad after all these years?

5. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    THIS...there isnt more to add really.

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Negative, and that's putting it mildly.

7. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Neither.

8. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    No.

And I don't see any real reason why this thread shouldn't exist. I mean, the question itself is pretty neutral.

9. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    No. it's a valid question, as it is one third of the main saga entries.

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Yes.

I very much enjoyed Palpatine having a final hurrah.

I do think Legends would have eventually done the same.

11. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    ^He already had a final hurrah in the OT.

And Legends did do the same, just differently. And it was also pointless and had negative affects on the saga, though not as much as TROS.

Last edited: May 12, 2022
    wobbits likes this.
  12. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Positive impact? not really.

But I will give reasons and not just say 'and that's all I have to say about that' Forrest Gump style.

Luke Skywalker: There was absolutely no reason to have such a drastic change of characterisation for this character, none. Luke was the new hope, His optimism and heroic attitude resonated with millions for nearly 40 years. The Nihilistic approach to 'jaded hero' cannot be, in good faith, be described as 'positive' to the saga as a whole. Star Wars is a space tale about good Vs Evil, not some meta character study Nolan style.

Bringing back Palpatine: love or hate the prophecy idea, it is what it is. Palpatine was destroyed at the end of ROTJ, to bring him back in the manner they did was lazy course correction, with very little thought put into it, and IMO definitely hurts the saga watching it as a whole.

13. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    No. A thousand times No.

14. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Negative impact on the saga. As far as the fan experience, admittedly I had a lot of fun in the sanctuary threads while they lasted, the humor there was hilarious. [face_laugh]

15. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
  16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I liked aspects of the ST, but the commonality of claiming that the OT “needed improvement” or that the characters “weren’t perfect” or any other such narrative used in praise of the ST, led me to click no.

17. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014
    Decrease to the point where it's difficult to watch ROTJ knowing none of it mattered.

18. Co-Pilot

Co-Pilot Jedi Padawan

Jun 20, 2021
    I have many of the same problems a lot of fans have with them. But I also don't hate them enough that I'd wipe them from canon if I could. So for that reason I suppose I have to vote yes.

Yeah it makes ROTJ less impactful, but I'll get over it. The prequels ruined the way I looked at the OT for a long time too, but eventually you just get used to it.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  19. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Nah TFA being a big middle finger to the PT ruined it from the start for me. I usually just pretend the ST is canon to those PT rewrites/reimagining fanfics you find on the internet for those who were hoping Disney was gonna reboot/remake the prequels after 2015.

20. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    How did it increase the value? Well let’s see…

Introduced us to a bunch of new loved and incredibly well written characters. Rey, Kylo, Poe, Finn and BB-8 are 5 of the best characters there’s ever been, no question about that. Kylo is one of the best written and acted characters of recent times.

Also introduced us to a bunch of new worlds and locations making the galaxy richer and more vast.

Yes Sidious was used for the third time as the trilogy’s main antagonist, but I view that very positively as it connects the entire saga together. It also took 3 generations of Skywalker’s to defeat him for good. Like it or not, Rey IS a Skywalker, not by blood but by legacy. Plus it was bloody awesome seeing McDiarmid back on the big screen giving it his all yet again.

Happy endings never last in fictional universes. Luke and Anakin defeated him together giving the galaxy peace for 30 years. That is a huge win. But be it Sidious or the Vong or Thrawn or someone else entirely, evil was always going to show up again. It wasn’t for nothing at all.

Luke acting out of character is probably the element that annoyed the most people. Some even claiming it destroyed him as a character completely. Not at all. If anything it showed even the purest of Jedi weren't perfect. He didn’t kill Ben, he just thought about it for a split second and instantly regretted it. He also thought about killing Vader back in the day.

If anything, this made Luke more interesting as a character. He was a little bland at times in the original trilogy, so actually seeing him with real struggle and regret brought new life into the character and actually made me like him MORE, not less. Plus his redemption and send off was pretty damn sweet.

So yeah, the sequel trilogy left me feeling extremely satisfied and I view it as entirely positive. Sue me for it!

Last edited: May 13, 2022
  21. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I can't see the OT as his final hurrah when RotS subsequently introduces his plans about life after death.

So that is built-up for a ST, in my eyes.

The Dyad is a bit more out there.

A Granddaughter is also out there.

22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    When and where did that happen in ROTS? It's expected that the Sith want to live forever, to not die. That's not the same as living after death. That would be an acknowledgement of an afterlife, something they reject by definition through their actions and philosophy. Their greed bounds them to their existing reality and the inability to let go and move on to something else (or recognizing that there is something else to begin with).

That's one of the core differences between the Sith and the Jedi.

23. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    Exactly my feelings.

24. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    That's not remotely implied by the OT, though. It is, of course, in the surrounding material, but in ROTS, we get very specific discussion about preventing death, which is very telling for a villain to introduce after he's died, narratively.

So the ST simply picked up that thread in my eyes.

Not in a perfect manner, of course, but well enough.

25. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017

Palpatine later admits he doesn’t know the secret.

George Lucas: “...saying that ‘My mentor told me that there was a way that could stop death.’ Which was a lie. They can’t. Anakin got sold a bill of goods because he wanted it so bad that he’d believe anything anybody would sell him.”