main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The Future of Star Wars on TV

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by ThatWanFromStewjon, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Legacy characters like the OT three are almost impossible to recast while other major characters and minor ones are easier like Mon Mothma and Obi-Wan.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  2. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    And Lando. But Donald Glover has that magic quality I was referring to -- je ne sais quoi. It's not something most people have, not even most actors.

Plus, LFL wants to move beyond the Skywalker Saga, so the last thing they want to do is recast.

3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    And if they do, it will be the ones fans dosent mind. We going back in time but also move forward too.

4. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    But even with Donald Glover, Ewan McGregor and Genevieve O'Reilly they still fit within recasts outside the original actor's onscreen appearances. All are playing younger versions of the OT characters.

5. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Honestly I think if Harrison Ford was no longer alive or was no longer a working actor I think it would be a different story. But the fact that he starred in a Star Wars movie just a couple years before was the issue.

6. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I think the assumption was that people wanted to see more Han Solo. And Ford was too old to play a young mischievious Han Solo and also didnt really want to play Han again.

Now i don't really believe the idea that people wouldnt watch Han without Ford. I think there is a large portion of the audience that would go see it purely because its star wars. Now that audience did not see it and personally i don't think it was because of TLJ or Ford. I think it was just the wrong time to release the film.

Last edited: May 20, 2022
  7. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I am greatly disappointed by Kathleen Kennedy's announcement that they will be moving forward without any recasts at all, and the part that actually makes this announcement awful, is indirectly assigning blame to (1) Alden Ehrenreich and his portrayal of Han Solo and (2) the audience, that is not ready to accept new people as legendary characters.

First of all, Alden's casting is NOT solely the reason Solo flopped. I wouldn't even go as far as to say that this was a significant reason. Would more people have gone to see Solo with Harrison Ford in it? Certainly, but there would also be people that would completely annihilate the film in reviews if it had Ford with a DeepFake for 2 hours. Let alone that this is just not realistic.

SOLO flopped because of a combination of other reasons, most important of which were the very poor marketing, the timing of release, and the huge disappointment because of TLJ. I think this is an extremely wrong move for the future by Kennedy and her team. I am not shocked at all, since we have LFL Disney refusing to take responsibility for their mistakes time and again. The only person who has acknowledged mistakes and taken the blame, is Bob Iger. Throwing Alden and the Star Wars fans under the bus, implying that we don't like recasts? Very poor form, sadly.

8. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    The bad marketing and timing was a calculated decision with Solo.

I think Disney basically dumped Solo because they didn’t need it. By the summer of 2018 Disney had bought 20th Century Fox and was full speed ahead on Disney+.

The studio even moved the US release date for Avengers: Infinity War forward so the the newly acquired Deadpool 2 could come out a week before Solo. A move clearly favoring Deadpool at the expense of Solo.

By the time Solo was released there wasn’t room for a series of Han Solo movies in Disney's future plans.

Last edited: May 20, 2022
  9. Lobey-One Kenobi

Lobey-One Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Amazing...every word of what you just said was wrong.

Krueger, 2Cleva and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  10. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Watts is great. Love his Spider-Man films. Also liked Cop Car.

I do think it’s odd how LucasFilm in the Disney era keeps quickly hiring up everyone who directs a blockbuster remake to helm a Star Wars film.

Trevorow with Jurassic World. Garath Edward’s and Godzilla. Abrahams with Star Trek. 21 Jump Street guys. Patty Jenkins on Wonder Woman. Now Watts off of Spider-Man. Even Favrue and Jungle Book.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  11. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    A possible Vader series if Kenobi is successful?

12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Doubtful of a Darth vader series.

13. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    The one I really want is a young Palpatine series. I think there's a higher chance of that happening than a Vader series.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  14. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Acolyte spin-off with Darth plagueis.

15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Everything is about goddamn Darth Plagueis.

16. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    He is the keys to everything!:p

17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    He's Snoke, The Acolyte, Rey's dad, Anakin's dad, a guy who was suffocated with a pillow in his sleep.

18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I like to imagine Palpatine shocked him to death by his lightling powers.

19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Nah, definitely smothered with a pillow.

20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I love to see that scene, lol.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
  21. S. Raw Rats

S. Raw Rats Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 12, 2021
    Plagueis lying in bed like Hyman Roth

22. Cos Palpatine

Cos Palpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2022
    I always imagined sudden lightsaber stab kinda like Snoke, but you've changed my mind. Definitely pillow smother.

Riv_Shiel and TCF-1138 like this.
  23. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
  24. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I actually think smothering with a pillow would be more disturbing. Just a very ordinary, but still ruthless, death.

Sarge likes this.
  25. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    I love those two, but he is in deep denial about KK's comments on recasting. It's very clear that there won't be anymore recasting for the big three. They're moving on from the Skywalker Saga except for occasions when deepfake tech can handle the job.

It's no slight against Alden that he couldn't replace Harrison Ford. Most actors can't.

Fredrik Vallestrand and 2Cleva like this.