main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Do the Sequels increase or decrease the value of the saga to you?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Weavile, May 11, 2022.

?

Did the Sequels have a positive impact on the Star Wars saga to you?

1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    26.4%
  2. No

64 vote(s)
    73.6%
  1. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    TBH,

whether it was Lucas' idea, Zahn's idea, Abrams idea, or freaking Kermit the frog, it was a stupid idea imo.

Not everyone who disliked the ST as a whole are Lucas apologists ;)

2. Bee Bee

Bee Bee Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2015
    Appreciate the interview. It's always interesting to get some of the behind-the-scenes info. That being said, I definitely side with Zahn on this one.

3. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    What happened in the EU before the release of the prequels is kind of irrelevant to me. Palpatine returning is inconsistent with the narrative arc of the Lucas movies.

4. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Some scattered thoughts:

I think there is always going to be considerable nuance and range of opinions/answers to questions like does the ST increase or decrease the value of the saga to you, because each individual is going to define concepts of increasing and decreasing value differently. For example, if a person thinks that all the Star Wars movies prior to the ST were excellent and the ST movies were only very good, that person could fairly claim that the ST decreased the value of the saga to him/her because it went from a saga where every movie was excellent in their opinion to a saga where some films in it were only very good rather than excellent. And that person would not have to hate or dislike the ST at all. They could still be a big fan of the ST. Just not quite as much as the rest of the saga.

To apply this to myself, a comparable situation is that I recently read Beartown by Frederick Backman. I thought it was a top tier book. Rated it five stars on Goodreads. Strongly recommended it to my mother (who also thought it was very moving). Anyway, I was a huge enough fan that I was delighted to discover there was a sequel. I bought the sequel as soon as I learned it existed. Read it. Really enjoyed it but didn't think it was quite as excellent as Beartown even though it was still a very strong book overall, and I preferred it to many other books that I've read this year. I rated it four stars on Goodreads, but technically I could argue that by it being a four star rather than five star book it decreased the value of the series slightly to me. Though not so much that I haven't pre-ordered the third book in the series and am eagerly anticipating its release. So, long story short, I think it's possible for someone to have really enjoyed the ST and still think it technically decreased the value of the saga for them. Basically, I don't think that believing the ST decreased the value of the saga has to be automatically equated to hating or even disliking the ST. For some it could mean that, but for others it could mean something else entirely. It's really a matter of perspective and interpretation.

Conversely, I think a person could also state that the ST increased the value of the saga to them even if they didn't love everything about the ST if there was anything in the ST that they did like or find memorable or feel in any way enhanced the Star Wars universe. Essentially, expressing the view that if anything positive was added by the ST, the ST therefore had to have increased the value of the saga to them. So, if a person abides by that logical framework, a person wouldn't have to love or even like everything in the ST to still find something worthwhile in it and say that it increased the value of the saga.

Personally, I can appreciate both positions, and probably fluctuate a bit between them when it comes to my own personal perspective on the ST. I don't hate or even dislike the ST overall (though I don't like and even outright hate some decisions that were made in it), but find them to be fun movies. If I had to give them like a Goodreads rating they would be three stars (for overall enjoyable media that I had some aspects I really liked and some that I had major issues with) whereas if I gave Goodreads ratings for the films of the OT and PT, they'd all rank in the four or five star territory (which is top tier and excellent in my personal rating system). Now a 3 out of 5 star rating on my rating scale is not to me a bad or negative rating. To me, on my rating scale, a bad or negative rating is 1 or 2 stars.

As an example of how a 3 star rating isn't bad for me, I read Half Sick of Shadows by Laura Sebastian this year and gave it 3 stars because while I loved her writing style, I felt that she butchered Arthurian lore for me. However, since I really enjoyed her writing style, I chose to give her another chance and try reading her new release Castles in Their Bones, which I am loving for the writing style and political intrigue, and where since it is in her own original world, there is no Arthurian legend for her to butcher. Likewise, with the ST, I could appreciate some of what Rian did with TLJ, for example, especially in terms of the imagery of Crait or the Prime Jedi symbol and with the lesson Luke teaches Rey about the Force which I think does a great job of describing the balance between the light/dark side of the Force in an interesting/insightful way. However, I didn't like many of Rian's takes on Star Wars lore, so I preferred Knives Out, which was a creation of his not connected to Star Wars lore. Now does Laura Sebastian have to apologize to me for in my opinion butchering Arthurian lore? Nah. I would never expect her to do that. She can write whatever she wants. No skin off my nose. By the same token, does Rian have to apologize to me for having takes on Star Wars lore that don't align with mine? Nope, and I wouldn't expect him to do that. And since I do not expect the makers of either Half Sick of Shadows or TLJ to apologize to me (any more than I would expect George Lucas to apologize to me for having Luke/Leia kiss or depicting Padme's death in a way I don't like, etc.), I would not expect fans of those works to have to apologize for me not liking elements of them.

So, I don't think anyone should feel that they have to apologize for liking the ST. Same as I don't think anyone should have to apologize for liking the PT or the OT. To me, that would be like apologizing for liking vanilla ice cream. It's just a matter of taste. If someone likes the ST and finds it adds value to the saga for them, then I am happy for them. Sincerely.

Personally, there are some moments in the ST that I do enjoy and find moving. Like when Han talks to Kylo/Ben in TROS and coaxes him back from the Dark Side. Also, it was beautiful to me that Leia was able to train Rey in TROS. So, from a certain point of view, it could be argued that those moments increased my enjoyment of the saga and added value to it for me.

On the other hand, there were also big issues that I had with the ST (Han/Leia breaking up, Han and Leia having only one child who went to the Dark Side, the New Republic being a failure, the First Order being a repaint of the Empire, Starkiller Base being the Death Star on steroids, Luke trying to murder his nephew in his sleep, Snoke being a dollar store knock-off of Palpatine, Palpatine being resurrected without explanation, etc.). Some of which are so big that in order for me not to feel like the ST decreases my enjoyment of the saga, I have to head canon that they didn't happen. Same as I have to head canon that Maul never returned from the dead in the Clone Wars TV show in order for me not to find that it decreases my enjoyment of the PT and saga as a whole. Honestly, across my fandoms, I will tend to head canon away stuff I don't like. It's just how I roll.

I will also say that just because I am a fan of the films in the OT and PT, doesn't mean I think everything in them is above questioning or criticism. ROTS is my all-time favorite Star Wars film, but there are still things about it I wish George Lucas had done differently. Such is life. Same with how I find ROTJ to be an overall moving film (especially in terms of Vader's redemption), but I was not a fan of the second Death Star, and since I am no longer five, on re-watches I do think some of the Ewok content could've been deleted. And there are certain ST decisions that I would dislike no matter who did it. Like whether it was George or JJ, I wouldn't like Palpatine being resurrected without explanation. I don't see George Lucas as some sort of god where I have to agree with every decision he makes in Star Wars or otherwise. I retain for myself the right to decide what I like and what I don't.

Do I know that the PT decreases the value of the saga for some people? Sure. Do I know Legends could decrease the value of the saga for some people? Yep. Same with New Canon novels and with the Star Wars TV shows and the films like Solo and Rogue One.

For me, personally, it has pretty consistently been a matter of adding to my personal Star Wars canon anything that I like and increases my enjoyment of the saga and deleting from my personal head canon anything that decreases my enjoyment and value of the Star Wars saga. So my personal head canon does include a wide range of sources including New Canon, Legends, Star Wars TV shows, Solo, Rogue One, etc.

I also think that the ST too sometimes unfairly is treated as the verdict of whether a person is a fan of the new Disney era of Star Wars. Personally, for me, the ST is my least favorite creation of the Disney era, but there are plenty of things about the Disney era of Star Wars that I love. Including Rogue One, the High Republic content, a fair number of the books in the New Canon, and The Mandalorian. I also fully expect to love the Kenobi Show. So overall I would say that I have really enjoyed much of the Disney era Star Wars content and am excited about much of what the future holds for Star Wars and am optimistic about continuing to like all sorts of Star Wars materials.

This is turning into a very rambly post (my apologies), but I guess the bottom line for me is I don't think I should have to apologize for not liking the ST as much as I do the PT and the OT. Same as I don't see any need to apologize for preferring milk and dark chocolate to white chocolate. Likewise, I don't think that anyone who likes or loves the ST as much or more than the OT and/or PT needs to apologize. Any more than someone would need to apologize for liking white chocolate more than I do. It's all a matter of taste. And I don't actually hate white chocolate. I'll eat white chocolate if it's offered to me. But I much prefer milk or dark chocolate.

5. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    @devilinthedetails

Bravo! This was very thoughtful and fun to read. It also deftly avoided the trap that is this thread. I'm envious. :r2::c3po:

devilinthedetails likes this.
  6. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Thanks! Glad you liked the post! I was afraid it was getting too rambly and stream of conscious-y, haha.

Darth__Lobot and jaimestarr like this.
  7. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Can you do anything else then repeat yourself over and over and over?! I mean people argumented with in a deep way and all you do is throwing around the same stuff again and again without engaging into the arguments of the other posters. Your behaviour could be interpreted as trolling.

I think I've read that Dark Empire was a comic book Lucas gave around to staff and friends as present. DE is exactly what Lucas loved about Comic books so I can see why he loved that one.

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think, by the time of the PT era, Lucas had soured on it a bit - hence his "not at all what I would have done with it - the Emperor doesn't come back to life" comments about the EU.

Zahn's criticism of the idea that Darksiders would cooperate for any length of time, also kind of fits with what Lucas says about the Sith - they're so backstabby that without the rule of Two, they self-sabotage all the way to destruction.

9. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    Naturally. Lucas was apt to change his mind when it came to Star Wars. Darth Maul was very dead...until he wasn't. My point is this: At one time, Lucas was the one open to/approving/suggesting that the Emperor could return from the dead for the post ROTJ era. This story idea/element is not the affront to the OT heroes legacy as some would claim.

10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I didn't think bringing back Palpatine was a bad idea, but the way the ST handled it struck me as quite terrible.

Throwaway Snoke clones in the background were amusing, though. It reminded me of how Abrams joked about showing Jar Jar's bones, except he ended up doing something similar in regards to his own character, basically admitting Snoke was just a cheap and nearly useless throwaway stand-in all along. Probably Abrams finest moment as a filmmaker.

11. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    I can get with this. That said, the way it was handled was terribly pulpy and, in a way, a throwback to the very Saturday morning serials that inspired SW.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    He didn't. He let other people do it if they wanted to. Dark Empire is not his story or vision. To pretend that that's what would have happened had he decided to do a story post-ROTJ is wrong. He let Licensing do a lot of things that he wouldn't necessarily do it himself if it was his own story, precisely because he always drew a line between his stuff and everything else.

This is not news and has never been news.

13. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    Again....

Tom Veitch (author of Dark Empire): "Tim (Zahn) hated the idea of Emperor coming back (and probably wasn't aware that George Lucas had proposed the idea to us). "

Perhaps Veitch is lying?

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  14. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    The point is George proposing an idea for the EU authors doesn’t mean he would use it in a canon work

DarthFixxxer, wobbits and Alexrd like this.
  15. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    Dark Empire was official Star Wars canon up until Lucas sold his company to Disney.

16. Watcherwithin

Nov 9, 2017
    I know. The Force Awakens is also official Star Wars canon as of now. Doesn’t mean it’s the author’s canon. You’ve definitely heard that George said the EU was separate from his world.

jaimestarr likes this.
  17. Darth Weavile

Darth Weavile Jedi Master star 3

Oct 10, 2017
    Accusing me of trolling when I’m just responding to the same points being brought up is pretty ironic.

There seems to be a couple of misconceptions here. First, that Dark Empire being a thing absolves the ST of sloppily using Palpatine as the main villain in 9 after no build up.

The second is that there is no story after 6 unless you strip away all the progress made in the OT. If you don’t believe there should have been an ST, I could see that viewpoint. I’d rather there be no ST than what we got. But I absolutely don’t think it was impossible to move the story forward without rehashing the originals and taking away all the accomplishments of the heroes.

18. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    I hear you. Yet, it's a slippery slope talking about what is/was Lucas's head canon vs. and what is/was official Star Wars canon. They are not always the same and often, depending on Lucas, would change midstream.

For example: Tartakovsky's Clone Wars was once the official canon leading into Revenge of the Sith...until Lucas changed his mind.

Sometimes, even the SW stories Lucas created himself ended up not being canon in his own mind. The original films are not canon, the Special Editions are. What about made for TV Ewok movies? Lucas co-wrote them. Canon, or no?

Point being: Lucas still exercised a measure control over the Star Wars projects that were not his films. Authors were not free to do whatever they wanted. As said, they had to get specific approval from Lucas when bringing back/killing film characters. So, while these maybe didn't align with Lucas's head canon, he definitely allowed/disallowed various elements to be the official Star Wars story.

If he thought bringing back/killing certain characters would "destroy the legacy of the OT heroes" he wouldn't have allowed it.

Watcherwithin likes this.
  19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Perhaps you are not reading what I wrote (or even what Veitch said).

To Lucas, his works were canon. That never changed and it's a pretty easy concept to understand. Tartakovsky's series is not a George Lucas story nor a George Lucas work and thus was never canon. But you already knows this, which makes it all the more baffling why you keep turning what's simple into something convoluted.

And the movies are the movies. Cosmetic revisions don't change the story or what the movies are about.

20. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    I literally quoted you and Veitch. It required me reading the words to do it.

If Lucas thought bringing back The Emperor was an affront to the legacy of the OT characters, he wouldn't have allowed it, nor offered it up. Fact is, he did. He suggested that Veitch and company use The Emperor rather than a Darth Vader imposter*.

*Ask yourself: Why would George Lucas be opposed to a post ROTJ story with an imposter wearing Vader's costume.? If Lucas didn't consider the EU canon enough to care about it (as you seem to be claiming) why would this be an issue?

Is it? What are Lucas's works? Clearly Episodes 1-6. Then, there is some grey area.

As I said, Lucas co-wrote the Ewok TV movies? Canon or not? Lucas conceived the story elements for The Holiday Special and promptly disavowed it and non canon. Yet, he helped craft the story. Like it or not, The Holiday Special is one of Lucas's Star Wars works.

Debatable. Movies (especially Star Wars) are primarily a visual medium. Cosmetic revision can often alter what the movies are about/story. Example: Lucas changed the infamous "Han Shot first" scene to soften Solo's character...which, in turn, changes the story ever so slightly. Adding a previously deleted scene( as Lucas did with Jabba in ANH) can alter the story as well.

Think about ESB: In 1997, fans were horrified when a scream was added to Luke dropping away from Vader in Cloud City. Why? It altered the story. This cosmetic change (as you call it) completely altered the tone of the scene and Luke's intent. Luke's act of rebellion and defiance became one of fear and despair....changing the story.

Iron_lord and Watcherwithin like this.
  21. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    "your EU stories don't matter to me, only money"

imagining Lucas as a kind of Watto.

Darth__Lobot and jaimestarr like this.
  22. Watcherwithin

Nov 9, 2017
    George Lucas involvement to the holiday was mostly limited to writing a treatment for it that was stripped down into the variety show it became. When it comes to stuff like the Holiday special and the Ewoks movies, (Droids cartoon?) spin-offs originating from George which have ideas that are true to the saga I think they are “‘more accurate” to canon than other non canon stuff.

If I were trying to strictly define the “George Lucas canon” or better called “Star Wars saga” since we can’t know Lucas’ personal thoughts on his work exactly. I’d simply say it’s 1 - 6 and The Clone Wars and everything about the universe established by the production thats offscreen such as anthropological details and history, as well as even deleted scenes and concept art on a case by case basis.

The biggest special edition changes are retcons, but very minor ones in all cases. The scream you cite is something Ben Burtt added that George removed because he didn’t remember approving it and evidently disliked it.

DarthFixxxer, wobbits and Iron_lord like this.
  23. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    Right, but as you can see: Lucas has been known to disavow his own work as canon. So, keeping to Lucas's head canon isn't very cut and dry.

Iron_lord and Force Smuggler like this.
  24. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Kay-so, I voted YES. And despite the many issues I have with how the ST story and characters were handled, I will say it slightly enhances my enjoyment of the Skywalker Saga as a whole, simply in that it completes the arcs of the main characters (whether I agree with how or not), and lays to rest what happened to the Empire, Palpatine, and how the events following involving things that came from the Empire were handled, to their end. I feel like knowing how the entire story of the Skywalkers ends brings some kind of closure, which wasn't offered with ROTJ (and the PT was straight up a cliffhanger).

Again, I would've hoped for it to go differently, but there were parts I enjoyed about the ST still. IMO a sense of closure I can at least swallow is better than no closure.

jaimestarr likes this.
  25. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    I think there are two main points of contention with this:
    1) An idea's merits exist entirely separately from George Lucas' approval of them. One's tolerance for ideas they don't like may or may not be affected by whether it fulfills the creators wishes versus a sense of vandalism if it does not, but the substance of the idea is neither better nor worse depending on its origin. Indeed, I'm quite certain that you're aware of previous concepts in Star Wars that have faced disapproval even though not a single person on the planet would dispute that they came directly from the mind of Lucas himself.
    2) The idea of resurrecting Palpatine in and of itself does not inherently ruin the OT heroes' legacy(which is a different question from whether it's silly and/or cheapens the victory of ROTJ). The problem in that specific regard is the story surrounding this event, which I think you'll find was already inducing this particular complaint prior to the revelation that a not-so-dead Palpatine was behind it all, and Palpatine's resurrection is merely the cherry on top. Compare that to Maul's resurrection, where Filoni specifically noted that they gave his ultimate defeat back to Kenobi after taking it from him in TPM, and Palpatine's return in Dark Empire, which I haven't read myself but I do know for sure that at the very least none of our main heroes die as a result, nor is the New Republic they fought to establish completely wiped out.