main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    At least 19 dead now according to CNN. :(

2. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Only when it comes to arming teachers do some parts of the GOP consider public school teachers to be competent. Which is a really weird paradox they have going there.

Rew, Rylo Ken, CT-867-5309 and 6 others like this.
  3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The only thing the United States under the purest and most special form of capitalism is good at is death. People dead from COVID, people dead from bombs, people dead from guns, people dead from opioid overdoses, women dead in childbirth or botched back-alley abortions, people dead from poisoned air and water, people dead from the awful food shoveled into our mouths, people dead from lack of healthcare, people dead from malnutrition, people dead from sedentary lifestyles, people dead from car crashes (pedestrians especially!), people dead from looking at a police officer funny, people dead from climate change-fueled weather and disasters-- and the United States is the best in the world at exporting death.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  4. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    So apparently the teenager walked into a gun shop on his 18th birthday and walked out with the weapons he used to kill the children. I'm sorry; I just don't get it. I know it seems a good portion of the South (especially in Texas) can't even think of leaving their homes without at least a pistol in their pocketbook or briefcase. And yeah, you'll see pictures of folks walking into a Walmart with one of those AR-15s over their shoulders. These are likely the same people who will look at you funny (or even yell a derogatory remark at you) just because you choose to wear a mask over your face in a public setting.

5. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Are you saying that he obtained the guns illegally, or that the reports he had a handgun were wrong?

6. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    The reports are saying that he walked into the gun shop and purchased them legally.

7. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Which reports are saying that?

He's reported as having a handgun in what I'm seeing. He can't have bought a handgun in a gun shop, as it would have been illegal for him to obtain one under the age of 21 from a FFL, and any business dealing with firearms needs to be an FFL.

8. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    He bought two assault rifles on his 18th birthday.

9. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    Both murderers wore body armor.

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well that was the other thing. Apparently the security and cops engaged on the shooter immediately after he crashed his car into the building. But with the body armor; they couldn't take him down.

11. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    They're using assault rifles and wearing body armor to maximize their body count before they are stopped.

12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    The one thing that I question is that he was apparently killed by the cops after he shot the children in the school. They couldn't kill him before he entered?

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Its harder to shoot someone in the head than the chest. Honestly the police are useless. We’ll not completely as they got him eventually. But at least 19 people died because the police couldn’t shoot him enough.

Here’s a good idea why the **** do we allow the sale of body armor to civilians? No one is paranoid enough to wear actual body armor everywhere they go. It’s only use would be for protection against cops trying to shoot you.

I think it has its uses in ****ing wars. Not in civilian hands.

14. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    These guys seem to get off on dying in firefights with the police after committing these atrocities. That’s *really* hard to stop. If you’re okay with dying or unafraid of the police, then you’re radicalized and extreme and the laws won’t stop you.

That being said… these AR style rifles might need to be pulled. I have never seen a reason for having a citizen version of them.

15. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @solojones Regrettably and almost ironcially many police forces are poorly trained and unprepared for something like this. I think I said this before on here but I have a friend who started off as a police officer after college but eventually joined the FBI. Said the training he got in the local police academy to the FBI is the difference between learning how to eat up food in a microwave to learning how to cook French cuisine. Now that isn't true of all police officers and departments but too many are like that.
    And it is pretty telling the MAGAers are all screaming for us (educators) to be arrmed knowing full well as it's a non starter. It's their new "video game" deflection and has it's pointed out on social media, MAGAers in a spin of five minutes has gone from calling us educators pedophile groomers to carrying guns at schools as the "protectors":

@Ahsoka's Tano Just remember there are students at my high school and throughout the country who are (or will) take driver's ed and pass it (along with possibly the road test at the DMV though they can pass out of it if they can get an "A" in Driver's Ed via the school course) and will need insurance to drive a car but can walk into a gun shop in many states when they are 18 (or in certain states I believe even younger) and buy a killing machine with no training, no license etc. It truly is the dystopia future we saw in science fiction movies years ago.

And it sounds like he was killed by officers who responded later but I could be mistaken.

So suddenly, this turd sandwich had a schedule conflict on Friday and won't be speaking at the NRA:

Had the initial report held true and was only a few children murdered, he would have kept it. It's telling though as this SOB knows guns are the problem but doesn't care as I'm sure he will speak at it at another date...assuming there isn't another mass shooting that day which odds say there could be very well be.

Meanwhile my wife feverishly sent out an email to all parents/guardians and staff about what had happened, what their response will be and how to speak with their child about it if asked. What was almost heartbreaking perhaps even as she did it a few tears, "regrettably I gotten very good writing this bleeping email". Also my school sent out an email first from the superintendent and then our principal about the same thing including there will be more of a police presence at school during finals the next few days. You think the site of extra uniform police officers walking the school hallways would be something that makes staff and students flinch but NOPE! We gotten incredibly use to it as a matter of fact I'm on a first name basis with a few of the officers who monitor our hallways. Bleeping this all.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Correct. I don’t think all guns should be banned. Just the ones that have zero use other than literally killing as many humans as possible. Which is the AR

17. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    They can't even yell about the gun rights when it comes to body armor. There's even less legal reason not to regulate the hell out of it.

NPR - Body armor, worn by the Buffalo shooter, faces far fewer regulations than guns

18. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I do appreciate Ted Cruz trotting out my favorite anti-gun regulation argument - "Criminals won't follow the law, so passing gun laws is pointless"

19. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Criminals won't follow the law, so passing anti-abortion laws is pointless.

20. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    I would be greatly interested to find out how much of the body armor market is being driven as an industry by individuals that are military, police, etc that are buying body armor for their jobs, in effect. And what exactly has changed about it that has led to it seeming so common now, since it's been prominently used at least as far back as 97. But it hasn't had the same frequency as it seems to have now.

Internet sales may well be a part of that, but I'd really like to see the ins and outs of that market better explained (I couldn't find out much when I went looking on who the main buyers of body armor are in the US when it comes to individuals, or how that's changed over the last 20 years or so)

21. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    The New England Journal of Medicine - Current Causes of Death in Children and Adolescents in the United States
    May 19, 2022

[​IMG]

See also: https://boards.theforce.net/posts/57984817/

If we can make the roads and vehicles more safe we need to be able to get the numbers down for firearm deaths as well.

Manchin and the Republicans love the filibuster* more than they hate dead Americans from firearms.

Business Insider - Joe Manchin won't budge on the Senate filibuster after at least 18 children were killed in a Texas school shooting
    • Manchin didn't let up in his opposition to scrapping the filibuster.
    • "The filibuster is the only thing that prevents us from total insanity," he told reporters.
    • Democrats stepped up calls to address gun violence after a deadly elementary school shooting in Texas.

* despite its already over a hundred exceptions including the recent debt ceiling carveout

Last edited: May 25, 2022
  22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Jesus, Joe—what we’re living through now is not “total insanity”?

Juliet316, Yodaminch and Pensivia like this.
  23. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    It's high time that Biden and Democrats need to stop pulling punches. They need to make it clear that Cruz, other Republicans, the NRA, etc. who oppose gun reform have blood on their hands. They need to say that those parties are morally responsible for these mass shootings and then ask them how it would feel if their children were victims.

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Oh it’s totally on their hands

PCCViking and Juliet316 like this.
  25. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Well, its the day after, so I expect some 2nd Amendment gun nut to call this another false flag operation and all the kids are safe theyre just crisis actors. Theyre underground in some government facility. Then some idiot on Fox News or in the GOP will say that its all possible.

26. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Question for those with children: Would you leave this powder keg of a country, if you had the means?

Last edited: May 25, 2022