main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga If Star Wars was "Make your own canon"?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Solister, Jan 27, 2020.

1. CaptainEO

CaptainEO Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    My personal canon:

KOTOR
    KOTOR II
    Captain EO
    The Phantom Menace
    Attack of the Clones
    Clone Wars
    Revenge of the Sith
    Droids
    Lando Adventures books
    Rogue One
    Star Wars
    The Holiday Special
    Empire Strikes Back
    Shadows of the Empire
    The Ewok Adventure
    The Ewoks Battle For Endor
    Return of the Jedi
    Zahn's 3 books
    Dark Empire
    ET The Extra Terrestrial
    C3P0's cereal

I'd like to add Rebels and The Mandalorian because I liked those shows, but I can't. Now, I love me some Ashoka, but I hate that Ahsoka lived past the Jedi purge. I also REALLY hate that world between worlds time travel nonsense.

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    @CaptainEO, I'm curious why you include the Lando books, but not Brian Daley's Han Solo books.

3. CaptainEO

CaptainEO Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    oops! I thought I did put them in there. I remember reading Han Solo's Revenge when I was little!

Sarge likes this.
  4. The Emotional Jedi

The Emotional Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 18, 2021
    post removed at author's request.

/heels

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2023
  5. Schilkeman7

Schilkeman7 Jedi Knight

Oct 15, 2018
    I've tried going all Legends, or all og EU, or even all Disney. They all leave me wanting, so I have adopted a bit from everything, and have become much more selective about what I consider canon. It must be additive to the films, because the films are the pillars of the Story. It can't contradict things presented in the films. And finally, it must take place in or around the films. No thousands of years before, or decades later. Again, that's just me, I've read most of the post RotJ legends EU and enjoyed it. This is where I'm at now:

Cloak of Deception
    Episode I: The Phantom Menace
    Jedi Quest
    Episode II: Attack of the Clones
    Star Wars: Clone Wars
    The Clone Wars
    Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
    Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
    The Han Solo Adventure Trilogy
    Andor
    Rogue One
    Episode IV: A New Hope
    Honor Among Thieves
    Razor's Edge
    Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
    Shadows of the Empire
    Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

Watcherwithin likes this.
  6. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Why stick with one?

7. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Episodes 1-6
    The End

8. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    The Star Wars Holiday Special

That’s it.

Ok for real though...

Episodes I-VI are the only true canon for me. The next tier contains The Clone Wars Seasons 1-6.

After that, I revert to my blanket stance on canon in general, which is basically that canon is whatever I happen to be watching, reading, etc. at any given point in time.

9. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    I think Luke’s story is the most important story so if I HAD to narrow it down I’d go with:

A New Hope
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi
    The Force Awakens
    The Last Jedi

But the rest is fine, too…

10. Wolpertinger

Wolpertinger Jedi Youngling

Oct 27, 2022
    This is a good topic, but a hard question. Star Wars is a shared universe incorporating films, books, TV shows, cartoons, comics, and even table top RPGs. Head cannon is really the stuff you're seen and liked. It's going to be different for everyone since it's impossible to experience all that the Star Wars universe has to offer. This is different from something made by a single person, like J.R.R. Tolkien's stuff. If Tolkien wrote it, it's cannon. If not, it's not. Case closed.

For me it's the original trilogy (OT) with a little editing, RotS with editing and some parts of the first two prequals. I'd also add the cartoons minus the gratuitous light saber fights, and most of Mandalorian. I think I'd include some of the better stuff from the extended universe.

I'm on the fence about Andor. I think the show was awesome, but I'm not sure it was Star Wars. Andor's shades of grey morality, doesn't mesh with the black and white morality of the films and other tv shows. But that's a topic for a different thread.

Sarge likes this.
  11. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Not for nothing, but the question of canon in Tolkien’s work is actually quite complex as well. You could say it’s only the work published in his lifetime, or that plus The Silmarillion, although most Tolkien fans incorporate any of a number of stories he wrote that were either unfinished or exist in numerous contradictory versions, etc, sometimes over what was published in The Silmarillion before Christopher Tolkien had worked out his father’s final intentions. So headcanon abounds.

DarthPhilosopher and Sarge like this.
  12. Tia

Tia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2022
    my opinion:

Since Star Wars is a work of fiction, the term 'canon' is actually pretty silly. Especially when you consider the origin of the word itself.

Darth__Lobot, Watcherwithin and Sarge like this.
  13. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    Sure but it’s a quirk of etymology. The word canon has two meanings, biblical canon and the new sense in which we’d describe a filmmakers canon or body of work, or canon vs noncanon content in a franchise. if we stopped using the word it wouldn’t stop discussions of what “really counts”.

Mystery Roach and Riv_Shiel like this.
  14. ToughLuck32

ToughLuck32 Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2023
    My personal canon:

Star Wars I-VI
    The Clone Wars (including the final season on Disney+)
    The Bad Batch
    Lando
    Solo
    Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Rebels
    Rogue One
    The Mandalorian
    The Book of Boba Fett
    Ahsoka
    Skeleton Crew
    A Droid Story

That's it.

15. Honestly Star Wars works better as a Headcanon franchise at the end of the day its all entertainment but its fun to figure out what is Canon but in the end everything is fiction

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2023
    StampidHD280pro and Darth__Lobot like this.
  16. Schilkeman7

Schilkeman7 Jedi Knight

Oct 15, 2018
    My personal canon seems to change every week or so. I've been trying to really understand what it is I want from a Star Wars story, because a lot of stuff I like at first, but then loses it's appeal, and I'm not sure why. I think it may have a lot to do with tone and style. The films, and TCW, have a distinct, pulpy style that is very "George." Very golden age, very kinetic, very visual. It is not space opera, and certainly not any brand of sci-fi.

I feel like the Bantam era was best at capturing the feel of Star Wars, but without all the pieces in place, doesn't fit well with the overall saga. It works with the OT, but not the PT and OT. This era, by virtue of the authors that were hired, leans more into military sci-fi than any of the others.

So, that leads me to the Del Rey era. This has a similar problem, in that most of it was being written as the prequals came out. We get some really weird takes on the Jedi, like in Rogue Planet, or clumsy attempts to connect back to that era, like Outbound Flight (probably not the best example as I kind of like that book). This era went full on space opera with NJO, and stuck to military sci-fi with the clone wars multi-media project.

The Disney era, for me, has one fatal flaw in that most of it seems to be direct tie-ins to film or television projects, and I don't really like any of the Disney film or television projects. They all feel too modern in style. Not that the old EU was adverse to doing tie-ins, but it had a lot of other stuff going on at the same time.

So with all of that in mind, I've tried to assemble a motley assortment of stories that feel the part of George's universe, but also give new or deeper insight into that universe, and/or characters, and do not contradict, directly or indirectly, anything in the films. Turns out, that is a pretty short list. My new and revised canon...again/again:

Cloak of Deception
    Episode I: The Phantom Menace
    Episode II: Attack of the Clones
    The Clone Wars
    Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
    The Han Solo Adventure Trilogy
    Episode IV: A New Hope
    Honor Among Thieves
    Razor's Edge
    Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
    Shadows of the Empire
    Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
  17. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    Episodes 1-9 are canon. So is Rogue One. Mandalorian and Andor are too. Animated shows, books and comics are conjectural, so some bits are true, others not so much! I don't accept Solo as canon as I don't accept Maul survived TPM. Therefore, Clone Wars nor Rebels are canon. On the fence about Obi-wan show. While I liked it, I also like the idea that he and Vader didn't see each other for 19 years.

I liked a lot of the of old EU, so anything pre ROTJ that doesn't contradict the movies, is canon to me if I like the stories. That includes most of the Marvel run from the 70s and 80s (I grew up with them, so Plif and co will always be canon to me!)

I liked Bloodline, Shadow of the Sith and the Alphabet Squadron trilogy of books, so they are all canon.

I also have a couple of fanfics on the go which are also canon to me.

18. ZodaEX

ZodaEX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 27, 2015
    It already is make your own canon.

Darth__Lobot, Mystery Roach and Sarge like this.
  19. The Emotional Jedi

May 18, 2021
    I've been thinking about this question for a couple of years now, and I've often changed my mind on the subject. But, after several months, I think I have come at the definitive version of my personal Canon.
    So, my personal Canon consists of the following:
    • Tales of the Jedi (comics)
    • Knights of the Old Republic (comics)
    • Knights of the Old Republic I
    • The Old Republic: Revan
    • Knights of the Old Republic II
    • Star Wars: The Old Republic
    • The Darth Bane Trilogy
    • Darth Plagueis (novel)
    • Republic comics (issues 1 to 6)
    • Episode I: The Phantom Menace
    • Bounty Hunter
    • Jango Fett: Open Seasons
    • Republic comics (issues 7 to 49)
    • The Approaching Storm
    • Episode II: March of the Clones
    • Republic Commando (video game)
    • Republic Commando (novel series)
    • The Clone Wars (2002 video game)
    • Republic comics (from issue 50 to 83)
    • Star Wars: Jedi (comic series)
    • Star Wars: General Grievous (comics)
    • Star Wars: Obsession (comics)
    • Jedi Trial (novel)
    • Star Wars: Brothers in Arms
    • Labyrinth of Evil
    • Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
    • Kenobi (novel)
    • Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
    • Star Wars: Purge (comic series)
    • Old Wounds (comic)
    • Star Wars: Andor
    • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
    • Episode IV: A New Hope
    • Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
    • Shadows of the Empire
    • Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
    • The Thrawn Trilogy
    • The Jedi Academy Trilogy
    • The Hand of Thrawn Duology
    • Star Wars: Union
    • Junior Jedi Knights (series)
    • Young Jedi Knights (series)
    In case you are wondering, March of the Clones is my fan edit of Attack of the Clones. While I don't entirely dislike the original version of the movie, I think it could be improved by trimming some dialogue, slightly modifying certain scenes, and restoring some of the deleted scenes. Therefore, I created my own fan edit, which is Canon above the original version of the movie in my head, because I personally think that my own version is better than the original version. Furthermore, I don't accept both Clone Wars cartoons. I don't accept TCW, because I prefer the Dark Horse comics and the Multimedia Project. And I don't accept the original Clone Wars cartoon as well, because it can't work as real, actual Star Wars, in my opinion. Everyone is extremely overpowered in that cartoon, to the point of being ridiculous.

20. Jedi Bluth

Jedi Bluth Force Ghost star 6

Sep 4, 2021
    Episodes 1-5
    Some of the EU
    Force Unleashed

Last edited: Nov 14, 2023
  21. The Emotional Jedi

May 18, 2021
    I think you meant "Episodes 1-6"?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2023
  22. Jedi Bluth

Jedi Bluth Force Ghost star 6

Sep 4, 2021
    No I mean Episodes 1-5.

Return of the Care Bears is an abomination.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2023
  23. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    I disagree, extremely. But I respect it. Never seen anyone include the prequels without RotJ, kinda funny that in that canon it’s left to the viewer if Luke and Leia find out they’re related

Tia likes this.
  24. The Emotional Jedi

May 18, 2021
    WTF... okay. That was unexpected.

25. Tia

Tia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2022
    you're curious about that but not the inclusion of C3P0's cereal? :p

StampidHD280pro likes this.