main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series The Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi Character Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Feb 23, 2022.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Kenobi ..........

KENOBIIIIIIIIIIIIIIAARRGHGHGHGHGH!!!

Mostly Handless likes this.
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    So wow, a lot to stew(jon) over. Didn't think he'd taker so long to get a proper house, and really didn't think he'd actually have a job lol. While he's obviously taking his role of Luke's watchful guardian seriously, he's also definitely completely left the Jedi life behind, and not just to keep a low profile. Things ramp up in episode 2, so I imagine a big theme of this series will be Obi-Wan finding value in the cause again.

Count Yubnub, Shaak Ti and themoth like this.
  3. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    One minor nervous point I have is that every memory/flashback so far is straight from the films.
    Still hoping for some new clips from TCW, because it would be a waste to get Hayden and stick him in the suit 99% of the time.
    It would also give Ewan a good chance to act Obi-Wan in a different mindset.

wobbits and Shaak Ti like this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Lol I was just reminded that his home planet is named stewjon. This makes me laugh no matter how many times I see or hear it

5. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    [​IMG]

6. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    He’s someone who has learned to NOT use his powers so he can blend in and keep a low profile. Which means using blasters and his fists. Which adds a new dynamic to Ewan’s action sequences.

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah I have a feeling him catching Leia was the first time he's used the Force so actively in a decade.

Mostly Handless, wobbits and themoth like this.
  8. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    I agree. I’m interested to see how quickly he adapts to fighting Vader.

Shaak Ti and wobbits like this.
  9. Rogue Knight

Rogue Knight Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 4, 2020
    Has anyone else noticed that the first two episodes of Obi-Wan Kenobi featured several similarities between Obi-Wan and Rey?

These discussions took place shortly after TFA with regards to Rey's parantage. Obviously that movie showed lots of connections to Obi-Wan and I think it's evident that having Rey related to him was at least on the table. She utlinately ended up being a Palpatine which is why I can't help but find it strange that some of those connections are being explored further and even made more apparent in Obi-Wan Kenobi.

A few examples:
    • Obi-Wan is working under a greedy boss-type character who is clearly taking advantage of workers and not giving them their fair pay. We obviously see the same thing with Rey in TFA under Unkar Plutt.
    • Obi-Wan is living in solitude out in the dessert.
    • Obi-Wan preparing his meal and it magically forming is very similar to the magic bread Rey made in TFA.
    • Obi-Wan burying two lightsabers in the dessert further mirrors Rey doing the same in ROS.
    • Obi-Wan is reluctant to leave the dessert planet (Tatooine) is similar to Rey being reluctant to leave Jakku.
    • On several occasions Obi-Wan clearly calls on Qui Gon asking him for help. This clearly mirrors Rey trying to get Luke to help her in ROS.
    Obviously a lot of this could be considered circumstancial but I don't believe there are coincidences in Star Wars and sometimes I feel like the writers want to leave options on the table.

Does anyone think there is a possibility that future Star Wars content may explore Rey being related to Obi-Wan as well as Palpatine? Maybe her mother was his daughter or something? Would be interesting and further explain why she was so powerful in the force?

Last edited: May 29, 2022
    Shaak Ti likes this.
  10. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    If there's any intentional parallels being made, I'd assume it's something to do with the dyad/force bonds. Rey mirroring Obi-Wan and Kylo Ren mirroring Vader.

Mostly Handless and Shaak Ti like this.
  11. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    It's definitely possible. Obi-wan is an extremely sexy man, hard to believe that of all the beautiful women who fell in love with him, none could seal the deal.

What if he impregnated Fennec Shand, and she delayed Rey's birth with her modified abdomen/womb? I don't think she could talk me into it personally, but he might have gotten deep in some force meditations and lost his cool for a bit? Or maybe he really is down with death sticks and likes to get loose occasionally?

wobbits likes this.
  12. Rogue Knight

Rogue Knight Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 4, 2020
    Sarcasm aside all I'm saying is that the similarities are there and I couldn't help but noticed them. It certainly could be related to the whole force dyad thing with Obi-Wan and Vader/ Rey and Kylo but it's definitely worth discussing.

Kathleen Kennedy recently said they're looking to make more content past Episode 9 so I wouldn't be surprised if these kinds of connections were being explored.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  13. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I don't see them all of a sudden claiming that Rey is now related to Obi Wan based on appearances on a desert planet when they went out of their way to make her a Palpatine despite all the messaging that family mattered nothing when it came to force ability (even though non related Skywalker Jedi were clearly in the Lucas films) I personally hope they don't attempt to change Lucas' story by trying to insert this dyad thing into his completed films.

Rey's introduction was more of a copy of Luke being introduced on a desert planet than Obi Wan voluntarily living there to protect Luke.

14. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Yes there are strong similarities between OWK and Rey in their lives on a desert world but the context of those similarities are very different. OWK buries his lightsabers to hide who he is while Rey is burying them to signify she's burying Luke and Leia. OWK accepts his corrupt and greedy boss while Rey argues for more. You can go on and about each similarity but context wise they're very different.

15. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    Imagine if we had a second season which ended with Ben observing Luke getting into trouble with Sand People. Just as he’s about to make the Krayt Dragon noise the screen goes to black.

16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Given that Obi-Wan clearly hasn’t learned how to become a Force ghost yet maybe a season 2 could cover a journey similar to Yoda’s where he learns the power.

17. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I may have issues with the storytelling choices of this series, but when it comes to Ewan McGregor, I simply have NO NOTES!

Shaak Ti, RetropME and Count Yubnub like this.
  18. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Leia calls him Ben so this adds to the theory of why she gets more excited when Kenobi is called Ben instead of Obi Wan

19. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    I really like that they've chosen to explore these ideas a little more. It works better with the main character over a season of television than within a single film, I think.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
    Mostly Handless and Shaak Ti like this.
  20. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I’d actually argue the factual matter is that Obi-Wan hasn’t given up, even as depressed and despairing as he is; it’s still pretty explicit that he’s not just waiting around to die in hiding on Tatooine, or else he wouldn’t have Owen still trying to discourage him.

I think it’s more that people expect empathy and commitment to their ideals from Jedi, even if they’ve soured on everything else. Obi-Wan may be depressed and emotionally hopeless, but he’s still got a mission he’s keeping to, still shows empathy to others, and still gives decent strategic advice to the other Jedi given their context…

…It’s not just being in a series that gives the idea better context; it's that it’s a different idea entirely in terms of function compared to the… film… with an ostensibly similar premise…:-B

I really like that idea.

I also like the extra context that gets added to his comments on how much more civilized the lightsaber is then a blaster in both the OT and PT - when he uses a lightsaber, he can get things done cleanly and in public, but with a blaster, he’s at best in a tooth and nail fist fight looking for an edge, and more generally having to skulk around, keep his head down, and commit violence for merely being discovered.

katie9918 and Shaak Ti like this.
  21. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    What I love about this show is that it has humanized in a way that the movies never did to me.

I can finally feel compassion for him and it is great.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Mostly Handless and DannyD like this.
  22. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    One could argue that the mental and physical beatdown Kenobi got from Vader here was worse than Luke's in ESB,,,,[face_thinking]

In any event they're similar....and it will be interesting to compare and contrast Obi-Wans rebound to Lukes in ROTJ....I don't think we have to worry about Obi-Wan flirting with the dark side in this show like Luke was prone to...but I'll be curious to see when Obi-Wan has Lukes RotJ level of confidence in himself,

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
    Shaak Ti likes this.
  23. Oswin Oswald

Oswin Oswald Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 16, 2017
    I wanted to see Obi-Wan's greatness in this - his cleverness, ability to hide and blend in and be terribly hard to kill. He was totally in charge when he beat Anakin on Mustafar. No grief or self doubt would have been about his abilities, yet this series makes sure we see him making newbie mistakes, no longer able to use the Force in any useful way and barely able to do ANYthing. How does he think he can protect Luke or train him? SO disappointed.

24. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I think he's perfectly in character so far- his feelings of desolation, and his desire to, for the time being, put his Jedi past behind him. Very different story from Luke in TLJ.

I also can believe that with some persuasion, he'd go rescue Leia- although he doesn't express as much in TESB, Leia is just as important and indeed the other hope.

It might have been interesting to see him interact more with Owen and maybe Beru- that's a dynamic explored somewhat in the EU but I'd hoped to see onscreen. I understand that Beru was always easier on Ben- but I imagine that there won't be a lot more Tatooine until the denouement.

I might have liked to see Obi-Wan reckon with a part of his life that took place before Anakin, but I'm happy to see what happens next. I would like to see Obi-Wan at least try to redeem him, but on the other hand, Vader has done nothing to warrant it since Obi-Wan has seen him again.

Shaak Ti and godisawesome like this.
  25. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I don't remember Leia being excited about that.

Luke never mentioned Obi-Wan as a name to Leia. Leia wonders who Luke is, he replies that he is with Ben Kenobi, which in turn makes Leia react with "Ben Kenobi? where is he?". That doesn't seem to have anything to do with Ben vs. Obi-Wan, and everything to do with Kenobi being the Jedi she was supposed to meet. She goes from witnessing a rescue-attempt from someone unfamiliar to her, who she has little reason to trust and an even less clear knowledge about his abilities, to knowing that the very Jedi she was supposed to bring in is involved in the rescue. Suddenly her mission might be back on track, and her life be saved. That's what she seems to be excited about.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
    Riv_Shiel likes this.