main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Obi-Wan Kenobi - Part 3 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , May 31, 2022.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Jun 8, 2022.
  1. 10

30.7%
  2. 9

24.1%
  3. 8

19.6%
  4. 7

12.6%
  5. 6

4.5%
  6. 5

3.0%
  7. 4

1.5%
  8. 3

1.5%
  9. 2

1.0%
  10. 1

1.5%
  1. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Oh wow, and this is just the third episode of six...

Lots of thoughts on this one: the duel, the utter depravity Vader showed to total stranger in his actions, Quinlan, "I am what you made me."!!

I guess this also answers some of the questions people have had about Obi Wan's aging, eh?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
  2. Tom Skywalker

Tom Skywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 18, 2020
    I guess they deepfaked JEJ's voice. He sounded younger than in RO, but his speech patterns didn't sound very natural to me.

Luke'sSeveredHand and wobbits like this.
  3. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    My Force, that duel and dialouge reached my soul! I shook inside when they meet face to face! When Obi says, “what have you become?” And Vader says, “I am what you made me.” Oh God that shook me up.

4. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    That Vader choked people to get Kenobi to stay, and that he Force choked Obi!

TadoFett and Emperor Ferus like this.
  5. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    Yeah that was ridiculous.. They needed an explosion that knocked him down, then the robot runs away really fast, because you know, robot legs. that was definitely the dumbest thing i can remember in star wars so far. although i never did watch the holiday special

6. Jediking97

Jediking97 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 24, 2018
    Darth Vader was ****ing scary in this. And him turning the tables on Obi-Wan was horrifying to watch.

This episode made me worry for Obi-Wan and Leia even though I know they'll be okay.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2022
  7. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Vader let him go on purpose people, he wanted that ***** to suffer just like he did!

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    This series continues to amaze me.

moxlox, Kato Sai, chris hayes and 5 others like this.
  9. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    You are missing the symbolism. The droid rescuing Kenobi reminded Vader of Palpatine and the droids that saved him. Anakin even torched Kenobi in a manner to make him feel the pain of his Mustafar burns: it all was deliberate, when Vader finally got his revenge, he felt pity, remembering his own pain.

10. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I imagine this is what Ewan was referring to when he talked about being scared when Hayden approached him in the Vader costume.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2022
  11. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    Why do Maverick and Rooster have more tension than Obi-Wan and Vader?

12. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    I've learnt with these shows not to voice my initial thoughts until I've watched it twice *presses play again*

13. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    I'd rank this between episodes 1 & 2. As someone who didn't like Young Leia in the first two episodes (the writing not the acting), I loved her character and interactions with Obi-Wan in this episode. She sounded much more natural while still coming off as intelligent and brave.

Of course, the main course was Obi-Wan's reunion with Anakin, which didn't disappoint. That demonic image of Vader surrounded in flames is a SW all-timer for me - giving Obi-Wan a taste of his own medicine. I suspect his dialogue was done with the AI speech program used on BOBF, but it wasn't as noticeably limited. And that one exchange said everything we needed to hear: "What have you become?" "I am what you made me."

[​IMG]

For the record, I think I would enjoy this series more as a binge. Unlike Mando, which is more standalone, the show is all of a piece.

14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Well I’m ruined for the rest of the week. I will be of no use until I get to see the next episode. Thanks, Ewan! [face_nail_biting]:eek:

15. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Loved seeing glimpse of Anakin in his Jedi robes... Curious if we are going to see Quinlan pop up in next episodes...
    And Vader throwing Kenobi to the fire got me shook!
    Another great episode!!! :D

16. Darth Buzz

Jun 25, 2018
    Vader lets Obi burn just like Obi let him burn in ROTS. He intentionally let him go because he wants him to suffer just as he did. The droid having to assist Obi is a direct callback to what happened with Anakin in ROTS

17. Jediking97

Jediking97 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 24, 2018
    Also anyone else catch the part where Obi-Wan cuts a machine and it blows steam on Vader? Like how Luke did the same thing in TESB?

18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    That Quinlan comment is leading to something, that's for sure. Maybe not in this series, but it's definitely a tease for something.

19. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    Brilliant episode.......so much tension. However.

As amazing as it was to see Vader, his voice sounded off, and his movement, whether it was HC (nobody knows for sure) or someone else, was nowhere near as good as previously seen. Rogue One appearance remains best Vader yet for me - along with the OT of course!

Still - brilliant to see....he's still conflicted alright! Don't anyone start complaining about how the loader droid saved Ben, Vader let him escape. No question.

20. Shaak Ti

Dec 22, 2015
    But Obi can suffer and still be captured.. like I don't see why he would let him go like that would increase the suffering. I do see him letting him go because a droid showed up and he was having flashbacks makes more sense. Maybe he is still softer than he thinks he is, and he will harden more over this series

21. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I don’t think Vader wants to kill Kenobi at all, he only does in ANH because Kenobi lowers his defenses and gives him a look of “its ok Anakin, strike.”

canuckmuse, TadoFett and Jediking97 like this.
  22. Darth Buzz

Jun 25, 2018
    I give the episode a 9/10. My only complaint is sometimes you can tell they are on a TV budget.

Darkslayer likes this.
  23. Shaak Ti

Dec 22, 2015
    I didn't think he would kill him, but I thought he would want to capture and torture him. I am wondering if he is going to know about both twins before ANH

24. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I think that in ANH, Vader definitely wanted Obi-Wan dead. It is possible that here, he wasn't 100 percent sure. We'll have to see.

I was disappointed with the execution of their first encounter, even if it won't be the last time they fight. It should have gotten more attention with better editing to start with (specifically pacing with the other scenes).

I'd give this episode a 7/10, the other two are 9s.

I don't think Vader should find out about who the twins are, but I wouldn't be surprised if he at least found out that Padme didn't die on Mustafar. I'd be okay with him finding out he has living kids, but not who they are.

Darkslayer likes this.
  25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I loved that. Even if you don’t know who Quinlan is it just felt natural. Obi-Wan recognizing another former Jedi and knowing that there are other survivors and they’re not alone. I think it gave Obi-Wan a little bit of hope. That the Jedi got his message and they didn’t fall into the trap. And it isn’t just Jedi who are helping other Jedi. It’s normal everyday people. A disillusioned Imperial agent and her droid. Seeing other people in the fight will ultimately reignite Obi-Wan’s faith.