main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Official "Obi-Wan Kenobi" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darkslayer, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    A fair point. But I am certain Kenobi did not teach Luke to use The Force till ANH. We have to remember that Obi wants the boy safe and hidden, if Luke used his power, Inquisitors or Vader himself may sense it.

2. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    At best Luke has a fuzzy familiarity with "Ben Kenobi". Like if you saw some strange dude who's always hanging out in town. He doesn't know him as Obi-wan though, but intuitively guesses it correctly.

3. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Exactly. It’s more than a fuzzy familiarity though; if they’d never met before, Luke would have introduced himself.

4. Fin McCool

Fin McCool Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2015
    Right. Other than Luke’s earlier speculation that Ben is Obi-Wan, the fuzziness seems to derive primarily from Luke coming to right after the Tusken beats the hell out of him. And that Luke willingly accompanies Ben back to his home and just chills there is a marker of some sort of familiarity/trust (albeit under circumstances where Ben says we need to hurry because the Tuskens will be back in greater numbers).

Add it all up, and it’s clear to me they’ve met -probably more than once, not in the distant past, but not really recently.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
    Sarge, Kato Sai and Count Yubnub like this.
  5. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Our appraisal of Star Wars is pretty much in alignment, Glitterstimm, (sort of like our political leanings!) so I'll come to this series with tempered expectations. If I'm pleasantly surprised, so much the better; if I'm underwhelmed, then Disney bungled the easiest layup in the franchise.

One of the nearly-unanimous complaints I've heard concerns the score, which only reinforces Lucas's conviction that half of the success of Star Wars could be credited to John Williams. In lieu of Williams's operatic grandeur, even characters as iconic as Kenobi, Vader and Leia suffer diminishing returns.

6. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Indeed, Stephen Spielberg even said, and I paraphrase, “70% of the movie is the music, get that right and a lot can be forgiven.”

JeeediMoriah likes this.
  7. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    @grd4 The music is very disappointing, and more so because that first trailer nailed the music, so we know that they knew what they were supposed to do, and haven’t delivered. But there’s still three episodes, so maybe they’re holding back?

It’s not all bad though, Leia is very cute and Ewan can still command a stage. Jimmy Smitts is still great too.

8. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I don't understand why this show couldn't use any of the movies soundtracks? no imperial march or anything even close to the imperial march.

And nothing as dynamic as Duel of fates either.

I think i thought this project would be such a big deal that they would be grabbing bits here and there like with Solo. But apparently not.

9. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    It's more like Star Wars: Masterchef

Is Darth Vader strangling his former mentor in the air or is he in a rush to finish his souffle?

All the ostinatos and rising horns, precious little of the invention and colour of the movie scores.

10. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    On this note we are allies. The lack of “The Imperial March,” “Jedi Theme,” and etc is criminal! The low key makes this feel like Soap Opera, not Opera!

JeeediMoriah and Glitterstimm like this.
  11. Bee Bee

Bee Bee Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2015
    On one hand I'm kind of relieved they aren't constantly recycling themes from the movies, but on the other hand they haven't really introduced anything new that sounds very memorable either. In hindsight it shows how impressive William's work was that he was able to consistently establish so many iconic themes over the course of the series.

12. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    He truly was the Maestro!

JeeediMoriah likes this.
  13. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    When you stop drinking every sip of the koolaid you become an asshat is what I’m learning lol.

JeeediMoriah likes this.
  14. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Some good news regarding the review bombers. There has been a huge rally over the past 48 hours from people who like the show deciding to leave their own positive reviews and Kenobi is now in fresh terrain from audience on RT for the first time since it dropped below 50% and even more impressively there was like an enormous surge of reviews on metacritic (finally!) that now has Kenobi up to 7.5 audience score. Cheers to anyone who went through the work of leaving their reviews! Let Lucasfilm know your thoughts or else others will.

15. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I think its crucial that they're not abusing the themes and leitmotifs from the movies. I don't want to hear the Imperial March every time Vader gets lifted out of the bacta tank That's like if we got a scene of Vader pooping and the Imperial March plays. And Leia's theme from ANH was meant to be a love theme and it eventually was totally dropped for the more common Han and Leia love theme. Not exactly appropriate for young Leia. But more than that It devalues the moments we get to hear that music in the other films. Even for the fight scene, this is a new fight, it's not a Battle of the Heroes or a Duel of the Fates. Its Obi Wan buying time so Young Leia has a chance to escape. And its not an even fight between good and evil - Obi Wan gets his butt kicked.

16. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    Or maybe it's becuase this fandom has a legit problem with toxicity and entilement from certains sectors and it gets hard sometimes for people to distinqish between good faith, geniune "dissatisfaction" and "I hate this simply becuase it exists" when so many complaints are reused and repurposed for ever new peice of media over the past several years becuase said sector has poisoned the well and so effectively weaponized hijacked any given argument?

But no, that's crazy talk:rolleyes:

17. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I've been thinking about this for days, if there's going to be a second season who can be the main bad guy? At first I thought of Palps... who better, OWK hasn't faced off against him? But getting the great Ian McDiarmid to pick up his lightsaber again could be problematic and require the same FX as AOTC and ROTS,

Then I thought about other and new Inquisitors, but as much as I love seeing them they aren't the same level villain as Vader or Palps. Another EU original is Xisor, he would need to be adapted to give OWK a credible threat than seen in Shadows of the Empire. If not given Force powers, I'd like to see him given some new physical ability to be a threat to Jedi. Lastly could a powerful Dark Jedi, cast out by both Jedi and Sith alike, wanting revenge against both... which leads me back to Reva.

Jediking97 likes this.
  18. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    How about just some local Tatooine trouble? Jabba & his goons, Sand People, and soon on? A younger Lortha Peel, just learning how to gouge water prices? A Jawa Princess needing to be rescued?

19. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I’d like that, like BOBF.

20. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Maybe Boba can show up. Voiced by Tem, played by an actor who is ... far younger and more powerful. Daniel Logan, perhaps.

K2771991 and Kato Sai like this.
  21. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Young Boba attacks Kenobi: Where is Windu! He killed my Father! I want revenge!
    Kenobi: Master Windu is dead!
    Boba: Show me the body! I want to see it!
    Kenobi: Uh..

[​IMG]

K2771991 likes this.
  22. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    IMO I think, if the powers that be really want to keep going with this, that they should turn Kenobi into the first season of an anthology series; ever season focuses on a different character(s) at different points in time.

Bring back Glover for some young Lando adventures, do a story with Poe before TFA, show Qi'ra training under Maul or Rey training Finn, have an adventure with young Boba (played by Daniel Logan) as he makes a name for himself early in the Imperial Era, show how the Tico sisters joined the Resistence; heck, have a season long Mandalorians vs Empire fight ending in the great purge, with Sabine and Bo-Katan facing off against Gideon - stuff like that.

Sarge and Jediking97 like this.
  23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    No. There is another.

And he also blames Kenobi for his pain and missing body parts.

24. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    [​IMG]

K2771991 and Kato Sai like this.
  25. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    ... R4?

Sarge, DannyD, K2771991 and 1 other person like this.