main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga How did the Jedi view everyone else ?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by gezvader28, May 12, 2022.

1. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I've been thinking about this recently. People keep talking about the Jedi as if they're the 'good guys' etc.

But the PT shows us a rather more complex view I think. They want to be peacekeepers , but they also want to take charge.

But how do they view the people? The Republic fell apart because people didn't agree, and they are the vast majority. I think we sometimes forget that.

Sith Lord 2015 and Shaak Ti like this.
  2. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    I think the best insight we get comes from the scene where the leading council members discuss removing Chancellor Palpatine from office. They state their intentions to use dictatorial means to reinstate a senate that they approve. The Jedi are basically supportive of the status quo even if they think politicians are corrupt.

They would agree with the liberal motto “(bourgeois) democracy is the worst form of government except every other tried”. Which is ultimately the big ideological limitation of the series and George Lucas, that in the end the story comes full circle, the republic can become an empire again. Basically, the Jedi support the class that rules the republic, not the people

Last edited: May 13, 2022
  3. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    In what way do the Jedi of the PT want to take charge? They leave most decisions to the elected government.

They are peacekeepers but also warriors meant to enforce justice in the Republic and defend the Republic and its citizens.

The Jedi were dedicated to serving the Republic and its people. The Republic fell apart primarily because of Palpatine and his manipulations and the corruption of other politicians and corporations. People always disagree in democracies. That is not really why the reason why democracies collapse. More often it is due to corruption or one person deciding he should be a dictator now a la Palpatine.

The Jedi are the good guys, but they aren't perfect, and to me, they were never portrayed as such in either the OT or the PT. The Jedi Order can make mistakes and misjudgments. So can individual Jedi. But they are still the good guys and when their downfall comes in ROTS it is meant to be viewed as tragic.

4. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Well Mace says it explicitly - they will have to remove Palpatine from office.
    But broader than that - they're involved in the politics, embedded in the establishment, the council has their temple on Coruscant at the top of big tower.

5. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    They have to remove Palpatine from office because he is a Sith Lord and has been gradually undermining the democratic process since TPM. Many of the nobler politicians in the Republic like Mon Mothma, Padme Amidala, and Bail Organa have reservations about Palpatine and how he is accumulating more and more power to himself.

The Jedi are guardians of peace and justice in the Republic. They are servants of the Republic. That was the role Obi-Wan described them as having to Luke in OT. That is the extent of their involvement in politics.

Serving the Republic is the reason to be of the Jedi.

Almost all of the buildings on Coruscant are tall, and it makes sense for the Jedi, who are devoted to serving the Republic, to have their headquarters in the Republic capital.

6. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Maybe it's the way Hayden delivers the "Jedi business go back to your drinks" line but it sounds a bit dismissive and not that much different from how a stormtrooper would talk to people lol.

7. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Didn't really seem dismissive to me. Just like he was taking control of the situation and explaining it to people.

8. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    He doesn’t have time to use his nice voice on an important mission

devilinthedetails likes this.
  9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    The Jedi are the good guys but they been too laid back and let the goverment become corrupt. The Jedi veiwed the people of the Galaxy all as part of the force and part of a system.

10. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    The Jedi Order during the prequels serves at the behest of Galactic Senate of the Republic. They uphold the Republic, and don't tend to step out of its jurisdiction. At the very least, not as much as they should.
    The sentients of the galaxy all have a place in the Force, and the Jedi see them as part of the Republic (or those who are not).

Shaak Ti and Iron_lord like this.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The Jedi are unique individuals. I'm sure each one has a uniquely individual view of everyone else.

Ideally, part of that view should be that everyone else is a living being with their own roles and places in the Force and the universe.

12. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Ideally, I'd say the Jedi have a similar viewpoint to Superman, in his most classic sense. The Jedi have powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men, and they offer people their help in a selfless way, without thought of reward. They look at people as those who should have the chance to lead happy and productive lives, with them (the Jedi) there to keep them safe. Qui-Gon provides a good example of this in TPM. He's concerned about the stability of the Republic, but he's also concerned that some slave woman in the Outer Rim will be alright when he leaves, and that a bumbling non-human won't be unjustly punished. The Jedi care about everybody, or they should.
    The problem is that such a view can change to one of a more controlling nature, where the Jedi decide not just to help people, but decide how they should live or be led. This is shown in ROTS. They start to ignore the laws that, normally, they'd expect others to follow, as they are supposed to follow, too. They make judgments that aren't theirs to make (like when a war is over, or when a political leader must go, or who gets to run things afterwards) and no doubt expect people to allow it. After all, if the Jedi say it's for their own good, who's going to argue? This seems to indicate something of a disconnect between the Jedi and those they serve, with the former not fully understanding how the latter feel and react. This may be a factor in how quickly the galaxy seemed to accept the Imperial story of the Jedi as rebellious fakers trying to take over without the consent of the governed. That's not accurate, but the Jedi attitude provides the basis for the inaccuracy. And this attitude is shown when the Jedi seem to just consider Palpatine simply corrupt, before Ani brings up the notion that he's a Sith Lord.
    I guess it's somewhere between a Jedi telling people, "You are my responsibility," and "I am your servant." Not an easy position to be in, as we saw in the PT.

Shaak Ti, Sarge and gezvader28 like this.
  13. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Jedi are a huge source of the officers in the Clone Wars so I do think they should have a say on when the war is over. They are fighting on the front lines much more so than Palpatine, and we see politicians like Padme, Bail Organa, and Mon Mothma are also in favor of bringing the war to a close.

Remember that by prolonging the Clone Wars, Palpatine can basically keep special unconstitutional type emergency powers for longer and has used the Clone Wars to remain in office longer than he should have. So the Jedi and politicians like Padme, Bail Organa, and Mon Mothma have good cause to be dubious about Palpatine's motives for prolonging the war (and Palpatine does indeed have even more nefarious intentions than the Jedi or politicians like Padme, Bail, and Mon Mothma realize at the outset of ROTS).

The Clone Wars in particular is a conflict orchestrated and prolonged by Palpatine. It's an even more unnecessary war than World War I in our world, and that is really saying something.

Jedi are fighting and dying for the Republic in the Clone Wars. I don't really think it is a crime for them to want some input on whether they should have to keep fighting and dying in a war that is ultimately all about serving Palpatine's own selfish and evil ends.

Last edited: May 16, 2022
    Shaak Ti likes this.
  14. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Input, but not a final decision. By that reckoning, Patton and/or MacArthur would be deciding when we'd beaten the Axis, rather than President Truman. In any case, they weren't offering an opinion. They unilaterally decided the war was over, the emergency had passed, and Palpatine must resign immediately. Those are all political decisions for the Senate, not military and/or security matters for the Jedi.
    Again, this ties into the notion that they were condescending to the people and the government. "We know what's best, so we'll do as we see fit, so just sit back and let us handle it. Don't ask questions."

Sarge likes this.
  15. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    World War II was actually a just war. Unlike the Clone Wars. Clone Wars is a manufactured war for Palpatine's own selfish interests so he can stay in office longer and have "emergency powers" that are implied to be unconstitutional.

Honestly, I am more reminded of the Vietnam War protests in the US. I think regular people had a right to protest against being drafted and forced to fight and die in a war. Basically, if people (like the Jedi) are going to be compelled to fight and die for a cause, they should have the right to decide whether they want to do that or not.

In terms of unilateral power, Palpatine decided he should be emperor, execute Order 66, and was ignoring politicians like Padme, Bail Organa, and Mon Mothma who were trying to get him to resign some of his emergency powers.

There was never an emergency beyond what was faked by Palpatine to cause the Clone Wars. The Clone Wars was all a conflict orchestrated by Palpatine. Nothing more.

Palpatine had stayed in office far longer than he was legally/constitutionally supposed to, so it was fair for the Jedi to demand he should resign.

Jedi aren't really condescending to people and the government in that instance unless the government and people are just Palpatine. The ultimate villain of the Star Wars universe.

Jedi are perfectly respectful of government figures like Padme and Bail Organa, for example. And even Palpatine before he uses the Clone Wars to set himself up as dictator.

Shaak Ti, Emperor Ferus and Iron_lord like this.
  16. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    There's a difference between protesting and making one's views known and barging into a president's office and saying, "I say the war is over, so stop the fighting NOW. Or else." And the definition of "just war" has been debated for a very long time.
    In any case, the Jedi can't expect people to follow the law if they've decided to dispense with it. If they want the law changed, they should talk to the Senate or run for office themselves. But, at that moment, they weren't taking down a Sith Lord; they were overthrowing a government and thinking everyone will be OK with it on their say so. That shows a fundamental change in their attitude towards those they served.
    I feel like I'm going off-topic here. My apologies.

17. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    I think overthrowing a ruler like Palpatine was justified. Same as blowing up the Death Star was justified. People have tried to spin the Rebel Alliance as terrorists for blowing up the Death Star. This smear campaign against the Jedi for pushing back against Palpatine who orchestrated the Clone War for his own ends reminds me of that.

It is Palpatine who decided to dispense with the law in terms of his special emergency powers and remaining in office for too long.

The Jedi are in contact with Senators like Bail Organa and Padme who are also distrustful of Palpatine.

There is no evidence the Jedi think everyone will be okay with what they do. There is evidence that they think they are doing the right thing on behalf of the galaxy and Republic. Same as the Rebel Alliance really.

So not sure why the Jedi get so much more hate than Rebel Alliance leaders like Leia or Mon Mothma. If the Jedi are arrogant, so is the Rebel Alliance.

18. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Hey, I've said my piece. I'll just settle back and let someone else give their opinion.

19. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Sorry. I think I did get a bit too--erm--passionate in my last post, but I realized it after the editing window had passed, so I couldn't really soften it. *offers hand to shake* [face_peace]

Shaak Ti and Emperor Ferus like this.
  20. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    No problem. It happens.

21. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    With hate in their hearts.

22. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    I think there is a pretty broad spectrum. I think someone like Qui Gon clearly wants the Jedi to be more active outside the Republic and has a lot of respect for everyone even Jar Jar (he chose to help him, and in a way that paid off later in TPM, although it hurt in the longer run thanks to Palpy). However someone Like Ki Adi Mundi or Windu seems more arrogant and an example of the fall of the jedi order from Yoda's heyday to now

Sith Lord 2015 and Sarge like this.
  23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The Jedi don't want to take over. Mace says that if Palpatine won't adhere to his constitutional oath to resume negotiations and bring an end to the war and give up Emergency Powers, then he needs to be removed from office. Once he learns that he is Darth Sidious, Mace realizes the whole thing was a set up. The Chancellor is a war criminal and needs to be arrested ASAFP.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  24. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    A really good book to get Jedi insight on the larger galaxy and sentients is Master and Apprentice by Claudia Gray:

“Whoever wrote the Jedi Code, thought Qui-Gon Jinn, never had to deal with the Hutts.”

“People are more than their worst act. And they are also more than the worst thing ever done to them.”

“The man has a soul, Qui-Gon thought. But he makes her carry it.”

“There was no Jedi so wise that he could not be undone by his own assumptions.”

Just a sampling of quotes (goodreads) that give you a taste for what Jedi think of others.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
    Shaak Ti likes this.
  25. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    Are those all Qui Gon?