main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Obi-Wan Kenobi - Part 3 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , May 31, 2022.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Jun 8, 2022.
  1. 10

30.7%
  2. 9

24.1%
  3. 8

19.6%
  4. 7

12.6%
  5. 6

4.5%
  6. 5

3.0%
  7. 4

1.5%
  8. 3

1.5%
  9. 2

1.0%
  10. 1

1.5%
  1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    As of the second episode, Vader has yet to be given that giant gorge in his head. Obi Wan might just be the one to open up his skull to put new lessons into his brain.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I dunno. There's definitely a scar up there. Just not as pronounced.

But yes, I think the set up is ben loses Round 1, and then beats his *** in Round 2.

3. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    So basically we’re watching Rocky III.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  4. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I can see what you mean. TCW has given us this context that Anakin was not only a Jedi Knight but Ashoka’s master. So, from that perspective, the line is nonsensical. But you could interpret it to mean that he was a learner in that still he called Obi-Wan “master” by ROTS and he was fixated on becoming a master. But that just kind of makes it funny.

5. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    Pour one out for the Stormtrooper, who had the high ground, gets shot, unleashes a wilhelm scream on his way down to getting sliced in half by the laser barrier. One of the most graphic demises in SW history.

RetropME, Yanksfan, Shaak Ti and 3 others like this.
  6. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I notice that the helmet and face-mask go on as one piece now, that's not how it's done , get Dave Filoni on the phone!

Shaak Ti likes this.
  7. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Another thing that I think the series helps is better explain the mounting evidence the Empire is gathering on the Organa family as leaders on Alderaan. They’ve basically been slowly gathering more and more on them from this point onward and after 9 years of almost like a Cold War between them and the Empire Tarkin is allowed to destroy the entire planet. This moment in ANH was always meant to quickly convey to the audience just how authoritative and powerful and destructive the Empire was and make it clear how hard it would be to strike back against them and it’s always worked on those levels but even for an Empire… it also always felt almost comically over the top in how flippantly Tarkin seems to just choose it with Leia on board. In fact, there was obviously more to this choice than we all originally thought back when Star Wars first came out. Alderaan made sense as an example for multiple reasons and one is that they’ve been growing increasingly angry with the Organas using their influence on the planet to establish a growing opposition.

One of the strengths of Star Wars lore building over the past number of years has been in the expansion of the Empire and it’s processes, and earlier in its reign, its political awareness. Earlier into the Empire’s reign Palpatine still thought as a politician and recognized the value of still being liked and respected where possible. As the reign lengthened the Empire became increasingly disinterested in keeping up appearances and realized that fear of punishment in and of itself was effective also.

The Empire had clearly had numerous discussions on the role the Organa family was having from this point onward. They likely confined to gather intel on them all and as Leia grew under the public eye she became was in many ways almost like what William and Kate are for the royal family today. The youngest generation tends to be who the public sympathize with most and project their hopes for the family onto. It’s probable the Empire realized this and treaded more lightly with Leia until she was older and her role in the Rebel Alliance as a young adult was clear and undeniable.

This could be the start of the Empire putting a closer eye on the Organas of Alderaan and considering the example that they make of them and the planet later it makes sense to establish that here.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    He fights him in the comics at least once

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  9. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I don’t think they care about evidence.

Tarkin knew full well that Alderaan was not a military target, nor a “legitimate” (his words) target.

Had Tarkin said something along the lines of Alderaan being a traitor planet in ANH, then the writers could extrapolate that back and start building a case against Alderaan to justify Tarkin’s pov, as you say.

But there is an exchange between Motti, Tagge, and Tarkin where Tagge talks about there already being growing support in the Imperial Senate towards the Rebellion, to which Tarkin says that Palpatine dissolved the Senate, and that fear of the Death Star will keep systems in line.

When Leia says the Rebels are on Dantooine, Tarkin says that Dantooine is too sparesely populated to make an effective demonstration. Tarkin wanted a body count to shock would-be dissenters, I don’t think he cared about Bail. If he did, they would have made him disappear far sooner.

The only thing Bail seems guilty of right now is communication with Obi-Wan, who is an enemy of the state.

I don’t get the vibe that anyone is interested in another war right now, so people like Bail are trying to maintain justice and do good via the Imperial Senate.

I’ve seen it pointed out that there’s a shot of the Imperial Senate in the Andor trailer and a lot of the Senator pods are empty. It could be that those senators are absent in protest, that they’ve been accused of disloyalty and executed, etc, but it doesn’t look good.

By the time of ANH, things are so bad that trying to change the system from within isn’t enough and support for the militant rebels and possible war is increasing, even from within the Senate. So Palpatine shuts down the Rebellion and Tarkin blows a planet up to crush any will to resist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shaak Ti and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  10. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    THEY DONT CARE ABOUT TEH CANNON!!!1

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Remember that in RO there were several senators besides Bail and Mothman within the rebellion. Although even then they are still afraid to act openly against the empire

Shaak Ti likes this.
  12. Darth Majestic

Darth Majestic Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 18, 2020
    The names on the wall...??
    The force sensitive Correllian boy helped off planet by Haja..??

I'm hoping for a tie in to Corran Horn and the upcoming Rogue Squadron project

Shaak Ti likes this.
  13. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    half a star on rotten tomatoes. I saw one clip but I know the rest of the show is trash.

14. beetzello

beetzello Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 17, 2002
    And yet three episodes remain. Hopefully those episodes recontextualizes your recontextualization. Story's not over yet, bruh!

15. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    “I haven’t seen the show, and the rotten tomatoes score is getting review bombed by racist misogynists, so I know for a fact I won’t like it.” Yeah, that makes sense.

16. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I don't believe all the negative reviews are all "racist misogynists". I think in a sense jumping into a tv show about Obi Wan thats so hyped, not quite as grand as what came before and delves so deep into lore, was always gonna get some negativity. Its just the sad truth.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  17. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    all you have to do is read the audience score reviews. There's some constructive criticism but most of the bad ones are either Disneybad or that other nasty business.

18. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I have read them. There is alot of "boring", "bad acting" and "badly directed". I think expectations is always the issue with these projects.

Because this show has been more hyped than alot of the others. i think the negativity has gone abit further because of that.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  19. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    You may be right. It remains to be seen how they’ll portray the Senate. It may be like our own real world senate where senators show up at different times to make speeches. My understanding is that Palpatine and his advisors like Sate Prestage basically bribed most of the senators with wealth and positions to get them to do what they wanted. I guess it would be Mas Ameda in this continuity, since they for whatever reason wanted to keep him around. I think Sate was a more interesting character. Whatever it is, I’ll be interested to see how they portray Cassian and Mon Mothma. Looks like a dark series. I like the Qyburn actor, so we’ll see how that goes. I imagine it will be dark, since Cassian tells Jyn that he had done horrible things for the Rebellion in R1. I mean, this is a guy who fought with insurgents against the Republic as a kid. So, small chance of a happy childhood for Cassian. Diego Luna is one hell of an actor, so I look forward to seeing what he brings to the table.

As for this Kenobi series, some have questioned why Vader didn’t jump over the fire at the end of the last episode. My guess is that he may believe that there are more potential snipers out there, and he would rather not walk into a situation without knowing what’s out there. I mean, I doubt that snipers could kill Vader, but he would rather not sustain damage. He may believe that he took the fighting spirit out of Obi-Wan by burning him and I presume he wants to bide his time and see what’s out there before pursuing him. Which goes to show that Vader has become more patient and analytical since ROTS. Not being that way was what put him in that suit to begin with. Anyhow, I like how Hayden handles Vader walking. At first, I found it odd to see Vader seated on a throne in his castle, but I suppose it’s not too surprising. I imagine when he got up and looked over the lava fields, he was staring at where he was burned 10 years prior. I guess we normally see Vader standing so often that it seeing him seated is unusual. He only sits in his meditation chamber in TESB. But he’s always hovering menacingly in the Death Star conference room, menacingly to everyone but Tarkin, the only person he respects in there. Anyhow, I’m looking forward to seeing how Leia gets out of this mess and how Obi-Wan can somehow rebound from this gruesome torture. The poor man has PTSD already.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  20. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    WARNING - My historical semi-ignorance is about to be on full display.

Roman emperors had a lot of power (no kidding, right?) but the Senate still had SOME power. I am pretty sure that being a Roman Senator was still a pretty big deal, that Roman Senators had some measure of power and influence, and that most Roman Emperors didn't think the Senate to be completely inconsequential. Granted, some Roman Emperors were more tyrannical and despotic than others, and some doubtless did treat the Senate with more contempt than others.

I mention this only because in the SW Movie/TV universe - I am not well versed in the EU - it seems that as powerful as Palpatine is, he doesn't, at least at first, seem to have no regard for the power/status of Senators. In OBI WAN (I forget which episode) one of the Inquisitors says something to Reva that implies that kidnapping the child of a Senator is an out of bounds, risky, "across the line" maneuver, and in ANH, there is some surprise that the Emperor has (finally) disolved the Senate. There could be many explanations for this. While Palpatine IS a monster, he may not want to be SEEN as one - he may see value in keeping some of the trappings of democracy for a while. Or it could be that as powerful as Palpatine is, there are still pockets of localized/regional power, manifested through the Senate.

All this by way of saying that we tend to think that if Palpatine had any suspicions about someone he'd just kill them, but maybe, or maybe not all at once or at first, he didn't entirely have carte blanche with some of the more famous, well connected, wealthy, powerful families and politicians.

SateleNovelist11, Shaak Ti and Sarge like this.
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Oh I don’t either, but it is being brigaded. As I said in another thread people can not like the show and not be racist. But the show is being brigades on those platforms by people who are racist and or sexist.

It just seems weird to throw the show away completely based off of reviews. I have never trusted professional or fan reviews. I’ll let something live or die by it’s own hand.

I have never looked at reviews before going to see something or read something and I won’t start now.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  22. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Wasn't that the way it was done that one time in TESB, though?

Darth Megatronus likes this.
  23. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    It doesn’t matter if it’s Genghis Khan, Julius Caesar, Adolf Hitler, or Louis XIV, no ruler can stay in power without the consent of other powerful individuals.

That might involve bribes of money, or political favors. They don’t have to keep EVERYONE happy, but they definitely need to surround themselves with a faction of powerful individuals that support them.

Before industrialization. They tended to be powerful landlords with great wealth and influence. People that could use that wealth to support or oppose the ruler.

After industrialization, we start to see capitalist business owners that have wealth that can greatly surpass that of politicians, and they can use that to influence politics, even if they don’t have any official seat in politics by funding the campaigns or smear campaigns of politicians. In a lot of ways the PT was in part a critique of allowing corporate interests influence politics (George even gave the Banking Clan and Trade Federation official seats in government).

Palpatine uses the Senate to legitimize his rule. He doesn’t need to keep every single senator happy, just as in the real world senates are ridden with factional partisan interest groups. But he just needs to keep enough of them happy to make his actions legal. Once he stars losing the support of influential politicians, he puts the military in charge and allows them to start a reign of terror, briefly under Tarkin, then under Vader and the Imperial fleet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shaak Ti likes this.
  24. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    I always assumed it was just the back piece being attached in that scene and the rest of the mask was already in place, but that was entirely based on how the $25 Party City Darth Vader helmet I had as a kid was constructed and less on any onscreen evidence

25. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Not all of the reviews from the rotten tomatoes audience is negative.

Between the last jedi reviews and obi wan series reviews, the last jedi has suffered the hardest bombing by audience percentage negative reviews harder but on the other hand the audience score is going up a bit at 61% on rotten tomatoes when it comes to the obi wan series.

Shaak Ti likes this.