main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Obi-Wan Kenobi - Part 3 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , May 31, 2022.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Jun 8, 2022.
  1. 10

30.7%
  2. 9

24.1%
  3. 8

19.6%
  4. 7

12.6%
  5. 6

4.5%
  6. 5

3.0%
  7. 4

1.5%
  8. 3

1.5%
  9. 2

1.0%
  10. 1

1.5%
  1. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    You can't cast to your tv for disney? sounds like sony stole your money and isn't letting you actually use your TV.

2. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    I get that people have some issues with this show as far as continuity. Obi-Wan rescuing a young Leia, Obi-Wan fighting Vader before ANH... But honestly, It's doesn't change much. It's just adding more backstory that we didn't know could have been there. It does muddy things up a little but it's not contradicting anything.

Vader in ANH: " The circle is now complete" is a little weird now. Maybe he's calling the Death Star the Circle? It was actually just completed right?! I guess he's just reminding him that he's way stronger than Obi-Wan now. That's the circle of the apprentice becoming the master.

Then Vader says: "When I left you I was but the learner, but now I am the master." OK, he's still taking about when he left him back during ROTS. He's not referring to their last fight; When they fought, even in ROTS, Vader didn't LEAVE him, Anakin had already left. Anakin left Obi Wan when he pledged himself to the Emperor so the new fight changes nothing. He's still just reminding him of the past long ago.

Vader in ANH: "I sense something. A presence I have not felt since..." Still, changes nothing. Sure it doesn't have quite as much weight, but 8 years is still a pretty long time.

Obi-Wan in ANH: "I haven't gone by the name of Obi-Wan since, oh, before you were born." Well this one is a little tricky, but in this series he does tell people that he doesn't go by Obi-Wan. He tells them he goes by Ben now, even though some know his true name, he still doesn't go by it. If anything, I would have called the series just "Kenobi" to not confuse things as much.

And Leia's message to Obi-Wan in ANH feels slightly different now too, but it doesn't change anything either; "Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire." Ok, it's still all true. She's reminding him that he fought beside him way back then and the fact that he would have helped her 8 years ago as well still makes no difference to this message. She's just reminding him that he fought way back then and that SHE KNOWS HIM. If anything, it makes it more personal because she trusts him because of what he did for her was well.

Anyway, my point is, there are problems if you look for them and let them be problems but if you look at things from a slightly different angle and let th small retcons happen then it's all good. I'd much rather have this series than no Kenobi series at all.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
  3. Saturn830

Saturn830 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 8, 2019
    Thoughts:

-JAMES EARL JONES.
    -Whatever else one can say about Disney they certainly know how to make Darth Vader intimidating.
    -I can't help but wonder where the other Inquisitors are during this power struggle to succeed the Grand Inquisitor.
    -Friendship with Freck ended. Friendship with NED-8 begun.
    -Another GoT actor makes the leap to SW.
    -I love that these Ben and Leia moments are giving new character development to both even 45 years after they were first introduced.

Are you suggesting that the events of this series are true from a certain point of view?

4. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I believe he wanted to be seen as a victim of Jedi violence. That’s why he showed the Senate what he looked like at the end of ROTS. I still find it odd that the new canon typically has him displaying his younger self in holographic messages. It’s fine in Rebels, but I figured the old EU had the right idea of showing him as he was as a means of perpetuating the myth that Windu did that to him and to make him look like he had less power than he did. Sidious preferred Vader getting far more attention than he did because that enabled him to spend more time increasing his study of the dark side. I’m pretty sure that Sate Prestage was running the Empire daily while Sidious became fixated on the Rebellion and Luke Skywalker. I think it’s fair to assume that most people in the galaxy knew who Vader was. If they believed Imperial propaganda, their opinion of Vader would be more positive. Many people assumed that he was a reconstructed General Grievous at one point, which is funny when you think about it. So, Palpatine was comfortable running things in the background while Vader scared most people. A good way to think about his relationship with the Senate is to compare it to the Roman emperors’ relationship with their senate. The emperors had most of the power, and their senate was a collection of aristocrats who were kept around by Augustus to make him seem more legitimate. When Palpatine dissolved the Senate, most of its members joined his Imperial advisors. He had a ton of those, and Vader despised them. The Senate during the Kenobi series is toothless. The only ones doing the right thing are a few senators like Bail and Mon Mothma. Bail coming to see Obi-Wan personally reminded me of why I like him. Underrated character. So is Mon Mothma. This woman basically saved the galaxy, since she went through a lot of stress helping Bail put the Rebellion together and keeping it together was no easy feat. All this talk makes me think of the scene in R1 where Bail and Mothma are discussing Obi-Wan.

5. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I’m disturbed about the threats and racist comments toward Moses Ingram. I’m glad she and Ewan McGregor are criticizing this hate. Honestly, there are many toxic fans in the Star Wars community who made Jake Lloyd and Ahmed Best miserable, they railed against Kelly Marie Tran and Daisy Ridley and John Boyega for stupid reasons, and now this. I had no problem with Lloyd as Anakin, and Best was funny as Jar Jar in TPM and TCW. I may not like the sequel trilogy, but I like those actors, and Daisy made smart points in interviews and John is a funny guy. I’m not going to do a political analysis of why these toxic fans are so awful to Ingram outside of saying that it’s part of the nasty side of the internet from conservative idiots I’ve seen online since 2019 when insecure people thought Captain Marvel was the worst concept on this blue earth. And I think it’s all stupid. Moses Ingram has done a damn good job with this role and I look forward to seeing what she does next with it.

6. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    You can rant about those lowlifes all you want in this thread:

https://boards.theforce.net/threads/swtv-diversity-thread-minor-spoilers-allowed.50018773/page-21

Shaak Ti and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  7. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    No idea how to do that.

8. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Hopefully wish I doubt will happen, Qui gon can train obi wan in the ways of the living force in the later episodes or supposedly season 2 and teach obi wan the power to disappear, that could also add depth to obi wan saying, “If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine”

The living force is what Qui gon learned and the rest of other jedis did not follow it which was what also became the jedi orders downfall.

Maybe count dooku learned about the living force but he betrayed the jedi order 10 years ago before the start of the clone wars and turned to the dark side of the force.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
    Shaak Ti likes this.
  9. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Voted 7- I might feel differently with a rewatch. The other two are 9 each, but this one had what should have been a far more epic and dramatic encounter- there's still room in the remaining episode for good Kenobi/Vader interactions though.

10. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    If you meant Feige, he isn't involved with Star Wars outside of a movie project that is very far away, so what are you talking about?

Favreau is executive producer on The Mandalorian, and he comes up with most of the stories and does most of the writing for the show, but he has only directed one episode so far. Which is less than Deborah Chow, who directed two episodes, which also happen to be among the most popular ones, and who was the director on Kenobi. So no, this has nothing to do with other directors not knowing what to do when it comes to Star Wars. That whole idea idea is weird to begin with. How an episode is directed has next to nothing to do with "getting Star Wars", nor does your opinion on something decide on whether the person who wrote or directed the part "gets Star Wars".

Then there is the fact that the very people who are running The Mandalorian were also responsible for The Book of Boba Fett, which by basically all accounts had more issues than Kenobi. So did these people temporarily lose their knowledge about doing Star Wars, or is it maybe more likely that nobody gets it right 100% of the time, and that no matter how hard you try, you will never be able to please everybody?

I disagree. The immediate reaction while still amped up from the confrontation is in no way equal to what comes afterwards. People have often experienced something traumatic and pretended that they were alright right afterwards, only to find out later on that they really weren't. Many cases of depression came from traumatic events that weren't properly dealt with.

The question about "what good is he?" is irrelevant in so far as you can't possible know beforehand what will happen to yourself. Just because you want to protect someone, doesn't mean you stay in peak condition for years while nothing really happens.

I don't see any reason to assume that having lost your prior life entirely, with nothing to do beyond sitting around, all while having to hide your identity, would not come with the risk of losing your focus or weakening the ability to use the force. It takes a lot to keep in shape, physically and mentally, when you have nothing to work with. There is nothing wrong with Obi-Wan struggling after almost a decade of this kind of life. Which doesn't mean that I think the way they have handled him works perfectly.

Maybe your expectations were a bit unrealistic. I don't think there was much of a chance of them ever just pretending that Obi-Wan was his usual self, walloping everything in his path for the entire show. You can't have a story-arc in which the main character has basically no character-development. That doesn't fly for the show, and it doesn't fly for the actor either.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
  11. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    yep!

12. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    Depends on the TV. Some require something like a chromecast if it isn't a smart TV. Bot most smart TVs let you cast your computer screen these days. If you have HDMI ports you can use a Chromecast if your tv doesnt allow direct casting

13. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I can only see the helmet part in that scene..

14. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    If the events of facing Vader in the suit and being burned by him don’t unlock the best in Kenobi for episode 4 onward nothing will but I suspect that they will. For his character arch structure it makes sense for the Kenobi comeback story where he overcomes his weaknesses and remembers Anakin’s to begin only after he’s first reached a low point. Now that that’s happened and now that they have allowed the audience to feel concern that he has lost his touch it makes sense to begin the comeback story.

KyleKartan likes this.
  15. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Exactly. Doesn’t have to reference the last time they met.

16. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    True. Obi-Wan fighting pirates for water is definitely the ONLY storytelling option.

17. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    You can turn that off on most TVs. It’s usually called TruMotion or some such nonsense, and it basically inserts extra frames. The effect is that it looks like BTS footage. And it’s bloody awful.

18. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Beyond true motion settings (which I only like for sports) settings I think it’s worth playing around with the different HDR settings also if you have a 4K TV.

Read more here:
    https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-ente...-tvs-and-how-does-it-make-the-picture-better/

Some shows embrace different HDRcolor space settings. If you manually set your TV to a different look it may be adding enhancements to areas the filmmakers already purposefully handled differently for more general use. Some other displays have auto settings. These can also be less than ideal depending on the content. The best way to know is put on a section you’re less happy with and play with the HDR and motion settings until the feel is closer to what you enjoy. It will benefit your future episode viewings.

19. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Wow. Thank god you're not in charge. No Vader? No Leia? (Who is arguably one of the best happy surprises of the show) and just Obi Wan on Tatooine. Oh my god, I'm bored just thinking about it. That's like TBOBF part 2. Please god, no.

20. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Another aspect of the Kenobi series is that if we get to see Kenobi eventually realize the value of being able to commune with his former master through the force it more emotionally sets up his own disappearing act in the duel of ANH to become one with the force and remain Luke’s mentor later. By showing us experience the magic of communicating with his former mentor it better sets up his confidence to become one with the force also. Same with Luke later. It’s like this passed on thing that only the Jedi understand. Letting go of the material world when once run the light side of the force isn’t the end.

21. DML3

DML3 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015

Or they could follow the story line that Star Wars rebels began and have him fight darth maul on the sands.

that’s where this show should have went and leave Vader and leia out of this

They don’t need to be on the show.

unlike you I’m not one that agrees with everything presented to me just because it is Star Wars or it is Disney. There are so many on this board that gave the show a 10 because they never can bring themselves to find any fault with Star Wars or anything presented to them.

I am strict to the canon and this isn’t it. It breaks it completely.

You are reading wayyy to deep into this. The writing doesn’t even give reason to think deeply. There is no development ,no arcs, no theories. It’s all fan service and directed by someone out of touch with Star Wars as a whole.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2022
  22. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I do see some people saying Disney ruined Obi Wan by making him a depressing failure. Change is the biggest issue with fans i think. very few people like change and if there is change, people find it very emotionally conflicting.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  23. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    Wise. I sometimes have to remind myself about being open-minded to new SW content and new writers.

One might even say things like this to such fans...

Always in motion the future is.

You must unlearn what you have learned.

Attachment leads to jealously. The shadow of greed, that is.

Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.

The fear of loss is a path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

Also...

If, into the security recordings you go, only pain will you find.

I think that last one resonates massively - Obi-Wan watching the "new" Vader. :)

(And also, it's all just an entertainment TV show, not "everything").

So...

Loosen up, I say. As someone shoots me down.

24. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    That’s pretty condescending of you to assume the high scores are from people who like anything with Star Wars in the title. Maybe we just like the episode.

And, no. This show hasn’t broken the canon.

Othini, TCF-1138 , KyleKartan and 9 others like this.
  25. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Kenobi is obviously in a state of fear , which is why I think he did so poorly against Vader, he's gonna have to overcome that.